2022 Toyota Tundra Thread

rmc523

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Isn’t that pretty much true for all full size half ton pickups (except maybe Nissan)?  Objective differences are minor and it comes down to brand preference, subjective preferences on design and features and pricing.  IMO.

I agree. All of the existing full size LD pickup trucks provide ample capability and objective differences are minor as you mentioned. The most significant features that may sway a customer to go to another brand are coil spring rear suspension on Ram 1500 and 2022 Tundra, built in power generator on F-150 PowerBoost, and maybe reliability reputation for Tundra (but that's not guaranteed for new 2022 Tundra). Beyond that, each pickup truck manufacturer's sales and marketing team will claim some advantages for their product here and there, but for the most part none of those result in large numbers of customers defecting to a competitor.

Once BEV pickup trucks start being sold in large numbers, there may be a lot of defection and conquest activity at that point. In particular, with F-150 Lightning Ford has a good opportunity to grab Tundra customers who want a BEV pickup truck as Toyota continues dragging its feet with BEV.

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I agree. All of the existing full size LD pickup trucks provide ample capability and objective differences are minor as you mentioned. The most significant features that may sway a customer to go to another brand are coil spring rear suspension on Ram 1500 and 2022 Tundra, built in power generator on F-150 PowerBoost, and maybe reliability reputation for Tundra (but that's not guaranteed for new 2022 Tundra). Beyond that, each pickup truck manufacturer's sales and marketing team will claim some advantages for their product here and there, but for the most part none of those result in large numbers of customers defecting to a competitor.

Once BEV pickup trucks start being sold in large numbers, there may be a lot of defection and conquest activity at that point. In particular, with F-150 Lightning Ford has a good opportunity to grab Tundra customers who want a BEV pickup truck as Toyota continues dragging its feet with BEV.

Keep in mind that the Lightning is a place holder for the NG BEV F150, so it’s primary job is transitioning buyers to their first electric truck and doing that before Tesla’s Cyber truck gets to market. I’d estimate that it will have a conquest rate of around 60% from other brands to avoid cannibalism of ICE F150 sales.

In my mind, Tesla could end up being the “Betamax” of electric vehicles, better technically in every way compared to “VHS” like Ford, GM & VW EVs yet ultimately left behind once the major producers get rolling. All the other brands that are sitting back without perusing EV versions of current vehicles will find themselves with few options for supplies and batteries if they’re not locked in.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

Base pricing for non-hybrid 2022 Toyota Tundra announced today. All-New 2022 Toyota Tundra is Ready to Rock the Full-Size Segment - Toyota USA Newsroom

• SR: $37,645
  • SR5: $42,450 
  • Limited: $50,595
  • Platinum: $58,685
  • 1794 Edition: $59,385

Above prices are for 2WD. 4WD is $3,000 extra on all trims.

Hybrid i-FORCE MAX pricing to be announced in early 2022.

Edited by rperez817

Fuel economy estimates for non-hybrid 2022 Tundra.

• SR 2WD. 18 mpg city, 24 mpg highway, 20 mpg combined
  • SR5, Limited, Platinum, and 1794 Edition 2WD. 18 city, 23 highway, 20 combined
  • SR and SR5 4WD. 17 city, 23 highway, 19 combined
  • Limited, Platinum, and 1794 Edition 4WD. 17 city, 22 highway, 19 combined

59 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Base pricing for non-hybrid 2022 Toyota Tundra announced today. All-New 2022 Toyota Tundra is Ready to Rock the Full-Size Segment - Toyota USA Newsroom

• SR: $37,645
  • SR5: $42,450 
  • Limited: $50,595
  • Platinum: $58,685
  • 1794 Edition: $59,385

Above prices are for 2WD. 4WD is $3,000 extra on all trims.

Hybrid i-FORCE MAX pricing to be announced in early 2022.

It;s a comical experience over on the 2022 Tundra Facebook Page. For some unknown reason the guys though these things would be "way cheaper" than the competition.  However-there are a few who are contacting dealers all over the country to buy one at MSRP.  Gas mileage is a bit disappointing-since the 5.3 in the Silverado will do 25mpg all day long on the highway if you don't exceed 70mph. The AFM will shut down the motor to 4 cylinders. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 7:35 PM, jpd80 said:

In my mind, Tesla could end up being the “Betamax” of electric vehicles, better technically in every way compared to “VHS” like Ford, GM & VW EVs yet ultimately left behind once the major producers get rolling. All the other brands that are sitting back without perusing EV versions of current vehicles will find themselves with few options for supplies and batteries if they’re not locked in.

I love this analogy 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, CKNSLS said:

It;s a comical experience over on the 2022 Tundra Facebook Page. For some unknown reason the guys though these things would be "way cheaper" than the competition.

Thanks for sharing that CKNSLS sir. That's comical for sure.? Sounds like those guys are unfamiliar with the pickup truck market nowadays, unfamiliar with Toyota, or both.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Capstone trim level for 2022 Toyota Tundra announced today. All-New Capstone Grade Elevates 2022 Toyota Tundra to New Heights - Toyota USA Newsroom

Highlights.

• Standard i-FORCE MAX Powertrain Produces 437 hp, 583 lb.-ft.
  • Stylish 22-inch Chrome Wheels Come Standard
  • Semi-Aniline Leather-Trimmed Seats Accent Plush Interior
  • Standard Power Running Boards and BedStep®, 10-inch Color Head-Up Display, and Towing Technology Package

2022-toyota-tundra-capstone-101-164183102022-toyota-tundra-capstone-103-164183102022-toyota-tundra-capstone-106-164183102022-toyota-tundra-capstone-112-16418310

On 8/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, FordBuyer said:

I thought Tacoma is moving to Mexico opening up the TX plant to Tundra only.

I think they also are moving Land Cruiser & Sequoia to TMMTX. Tacomas are affectionately known as "Tacos." Have been for years; now even more fitting! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

New Capstone trim level for 2022 Toyota Tundra announced today. All-New Capstone Grade Elevates 2022 Toyota Tundra to New Heights - Toyota USA Newsroom

Highlights.

• Standard i-FORCE MAX Powertrain Produces 437 hp, 583 lb.-ft.
  • Stylish 22-inch Chrome Wheels Come Standard
  • Semi-Aniline Leather-Trimmed Seats Accent Plush Interior
  • Standard Power Running Boards and BedStep®, 10-inch Color Head-Up Display, and Towing Technology Package

2022-toyota-tundra-capstone-101-164183102022-toyota-tundra-capstone-103-164183102022-toyota-tundra-capstone-106-164183102022-toyota-tundra-capstone-112-16418310

HEY!! You kids get away from my Telluride!! Put those taillights back!!

images.jpeg.9868c9f6425fd871ccd67ab77a39cdef.jpeg

1 hour ago, Chrisgb said:

I think they also are moving Land Cruiser & Sequoia to TMMTX.

Sequoia production will be moved from TMMI to TMMTX later this year. Land Cruiser production remains at Aichi (Yoshiwara plant) with the new J300 generation. This generation Land Cruiser will not be offered in the U.S. market.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, CKNSLS said:

It;s a comical experience over on the 2022 Tundra Facebook Page. For some unknown reason the guys though these things would be "way cheaper" than the competition.  However-there are a few who are contacting dealers all over the country to buy one at MSRP.  Gas mileage is a bit disappointing-since the 5.3 in the Silverado will do 25mpg all day long on the highway if you don't exceed 70mph. The AFM will shut down the motor to 4 cylinders. 

I guess they thought that there was going to be a discount just because it's such an ugly TuRD.

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

That rear corner pic looks like the bed is so bloated (wheel wells are too far out) it doesnt match the width of the main body.  Looks like it doesn't belong on that truck.  Terrible design IMO.

Yeah, plus with how the taillights form a sort of C shape outward makes it look puffy, and the more car-like integrated/body color corners of the rear bumper give that area a lot of extra visual weight that doesn't look right.

Maybe I'm the odd man out here but I actually like how these trucks look, especially the higher trims. It feels really fresh compared to the now ancient second gen (of which I've owned 3). I would have considered one in a year or so to replace my 2020 once they work the bugs out. But I'm moving to a Super Duty since a half ton just doesn't suit my needs anymore. Especially one with a dismally low payload. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, almostcammy said:

Maybe I'm the odd man out here but I actually like how these trucks look, especially the higher trims. It feels really fresh compared to the now ancient second gen (of which I've owned 3). I would have considered one in a year or so to replace my 2020 once they work the bugs out. But I'm moving to a Super Duty since a half ton just doesn't suit my needs anymore. Especially one with a dismally low payload. 

If you are a current Tundra owner, I’m sure this truck is appealing, since there hasn’t been much change over the years for the truck. The higher end models are more acceptable, particularly the TRD.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...