2022 Toyota Tundra Thread

rmc523

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Did Ford delete ambient lighting or just reduce the number of lights?

Well I don’t have the truck yet, but I have been told they eliminated the cup holder LEDs and one in the storage area where the USBs connect. They had already eliminated ability to change the colors like in my 2017 Raptor, so I can’t include that. 

I’m not sure if this is across all trims, but I assume it is.  

45 minutes ago, tbone said:

Well I don’t have the truck yet, but I have been told they eliminated the cup holder LEDs and one in the storage area where the USBs connect. They had already eliminated ability to change the colors like in my 2017 Raptor, so I can’t include that. 

Just saying it isn’t accurate to say Ford removed ambient lighting.  And they did have it for years before Tundra.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, akirby said:

Just saying it isn’t accurate to say Ford removed ambient lighting.  And they did have it for years before Tundra.

I probably should have stated Ford reduced theirs, not deleted it.  The number of Lights is getting pretty skimpy though. 

8 hours ago, tbone said:

I probably should have stated Ford reduced theirs, not deleted it.  The number of Lights is getting pretty skimpy though. 

Just curious - how many lights does Tundra have and does it change color?

I had this on my Titanium Fusion.  I set it to blue and never touched it again for 5 years.

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

I had this on my Titanium Fusion.  I set it to blue and never touched it again for 5 years.

I’ve had my current Mustang for 4 years.  I’ve changed the ambient lighting probably 4-5 times.  The dash lighting has been changed much more than that.  ?

6 hours ago, akirby said:

I change mine with the holidays haha.  Red or green for Christmas time, yellow or orange for Thanksgiving/Halloween, red around Valentines day, etc. haha  In my mustang, I do the ambient lighting and change the gauge colors (where I can do 2 colors for different accents).  But I realize most are like y'all and don't change it much.

On 2/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, akirby said:

I can’t answer that, as I haven’t inspected the Toyota enough yet, but looking at the pictures of the Capstone, it appears they have quite a few.  

Regarding the ambient colors, we use red quite a bit but they probably get changed 2-3 times per year.  

Edmund's just did a comparison test of new F150 vs the new Tundra. F150 won every category except one where they tied. Overall, it's impossible to beat the F150. You may beat it on ride or some other minor category, but not overall. There is a reason F150 wins the sales race every year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Edmund's just did a comparison test of new F150 vs the new Tundra. F150 won every category except one where they tied.

Thank you FordBuyer sir, here is the link to that comparison test. Trial by Fire: 2022 Toyota Tundra vs. 2021 Ford F-150 | Edmunds

One of the commenters on the Edmunds site mentioned the reliability factor.

Comment by

Denny88 "I have owned Fords, Chevys and Toyotas, and what is going unmentioned here is the reliability factor. Toyota is the most reliable
pickup (I've owned two) that I have ever owned. I usually keep vehicles about 10 years, making reliability a major factor.

Ford and Chevy just do not measure up.....not even close.

However as mentioned earlier in this thread, there's no guarantee reliability of new 2022 Tundra will match the class leading rating for the previous generation Tundra.

Edited by rperez817

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Thank you FordBuyer sir, here is the link to that comparison test. Trial by Fire: 2022 Toyota Tundra vs. 2021 Ford F-150 | Edmunds

One of the commenters on the Edmunds site mentioned the reliability factor.

However as mentioned earlier in this thread, there's no guarantee reliability of new 2022 Tundra will match the class leading rating for the previous generation Tundra.

I'd hope the previous Tundra would be reliable - it was on the market for 14 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I'd hope the previous Tundra would be reliable - it was on the market for 14 years.

Yeah, I guess when you make the same dated vehicle for over a decade and never try anything innovative, it better be reliable. If Ford still made the Crown Vic and the Town Car with the same drivetrain, I bet you could put hundreds of thousands of miles on them too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tundra vs. F-150 comparison test from Motor Trend. 2022 Toyota Tundra vs. 2021 Ford F-150: Fresh Start For an Upstart? (motortrend.com)

Verdict.

Toyota clearly benchmarked the bestselling F-150 when developing its new Tundra, and it followed very closely in the Ford's tire tracks.
But in the end, the Ford managed to stay out front, if only by a bumper length or two. 

Toyota fans might be disappointed to learn that the new Tundra generation is short of class-leading; in our estimation, that title still belongs to the Ram 1500.

2022-Toyota-Tundra-vs-2021-Ford-F-150-10

2022-Toyota-Tundra-vs-2021-Ford-F-150-19

Edited by rperez817

On 2/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, tbone said:

Didn't Ford add a lot of exterior lighting on the 2021 F150 with certain options. Looks like it will light up a camp site easily. So delete some lights and add others in other places. 

20 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Didn't Ford add a lot of exterior lighting on the 2021 F150 with certain options. Looks like it will light up a camp site easily. So delete some lights and add others in other places. 

Other than the obvious LED upgrades, as far as I can tell, the only addition on the exterior is the light near the tailgate handle.  Other than that, I’m not seeing any new additions.  They do have the new zone lighting which allows them to use some of the other lighting on the exterior to illuminate things, which I’m assuming was feasible because of the LEDs.  

• 8 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 6:06 PM, rperez817 said:

there is a risk that the upcoming redesigned 3rd generation Tundra's reliability rating will decline compared to the current one. 

Based on Consumer Reports' 2022 reliability survey results, this is what happened. 2022 Tundra has below average reliability, the worst of any Toyota product with sufficient data.

image.thumb.png.dd510231fe40fb595b5d720e2dd23bb0.png

My brother-in-law has a new Tundra Platinum company truck and he said it has three recalls so far and there have been some other issues that needed repaired as well.  He hasn’t been impressed so far.  My father-in-law, who is a big Toyota fan, was planning to buy a 2023 Tundra,  and he has now put it off because he has heard bout the quality problems.  It will be interesting to see how Toyota handles this. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, tbone said:

My brother-in-law has a new Tundra Platinum company truck and he said it has three recalls so far and there have been some other issues that needed repaired as well.  He hasn’t been impressed so far.  My father-in-law, who is a big Toyota fan, was planning to buy a 2023 Tundra,  and he has now put it off because he has heard bout the quality problems.  It will be interesting to see how Toyota handles this. 

Thanks for sharing your brother-in-law's experience. Here is what Consumer Reports said about the quality issues with 3rd gen Toyota Tundra.

Consumer Reports members reported that their Tundras had paint and trim issues, including loose trim pieces; body hardware problems; and noise and leak problems, with one member telling us that they had water leak through the truck’s roof. Because of these problems, the Tundra has a below-average reliability rating.

When asked for comment, Mike Sweers, executive chief engineer for the Toyota Tundra, told CR, “We acknowledge that there have been a few issues with the launch of our all-new Tundra. Supply chain challenges, parts issues, and disruptions to manufacturing processes have impacted a lot of the automotive industry, and we are not immune. We are aware and have heard from customers about the issues that you noted. Once each individual issue was flagged, we analyzed root causes and implemented corrective countermeasures on the production line within weeks.”

Owners can contact Toyota customer service at 800-331-4331.