The New 6.8L V8 Thread

On 9/24/2022 at 12:34 AM, jpd80 said:

The $10,000 option for the 6.7 is something made up by Ford and bears no resemblance to actual cost of the diesel, it is an assumed premium that diesel buyers will pay because they see long term advantage on fuel savings and better resale. Conversely, the 7.3 gas engine in comparison  is dirt cheap, so up front savings are there for those buyers. Maybe adding a hybrid battery is a better option…

The 4.4 diesel is now missing from the new 2023 Land Rover in a few markets that I checked (replaced by PHEV) I think it might have already been ended, there was talk of that in 2020. In any case, it was a long shot and I don’t think Ford is looking that direction, maybe Hybrid is a better way to fly with some of the Super Duty.

I'd be interested in a "powerboost" superduty for my business. After watching some videos on towing with the lightning and the significant range decrease I'm still a little skeptical about going full BEV unless the superduty has a lot more battery or some other tech breakthrough happens. Still rocking the 6.4 psd @ 8mpg waiting for Ford to give me an option besides another overpriced diesel with excessive maintenance costs and extra fluid I have to dump in it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

I'd be interested in a "powerboost" superduty for my business. After watching some videos on towing with the lightning and the significant range decrease I'm still a little skeptical about going full BEV unless the superduty has a lot more battery or some other tech breakthrough happens. Still rocking the 6.4 psd @ 8mpg waiting for Ford to give me an option besides another overpriced diesel with excessive maintenance costs and extra fluid I have to dump in it.

Just currious..what is your use?  Why don't you think a 7.3 would work for you?

6 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

With a Superduty, I would be thinking that that a 6.8/7.3 with hybrid for launch and energy conservation in variable speed driving might make enough difference over buying a diesel…..might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

With a Superduty, I would be thinking that that a 6.8/7.3 with hybrid for launch and energy conservation in variable speed driving might make enough difference over buying a diesel…..might be worth a shot.

JP- I would  agree the hybrid could  be  a good alternative.  I was just trying to understand what Cpt4's application was.  The 7.3 for sure puts out good power/torque.  My bet is a high percentage of Power Stroke -or for that matter Duramax/6.7 Cummins buyers- can never justify the diesel premium given their utilization in terms of load size or fuel cost savings.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Lawncare. 30 ft enclosed trailer. I'm not sure of exact weight, never weighed it, but I'd guess around 10k based on other things I've towed with the same truck. My normal weekly route is under 200 miles, so BEV could work if I plug it in every night, but I also use the truck for personal use towing 4 wheelers or rock crawlers out to the mountains, so that's the main BEV hesitation. As far as gas.. I don't like the power curve of any gas engine I've driven for what I do with the truck (fairly heavy trailers hooked 95% of the time). Gas engine paired with a hybrid would seem to be the sweet spot for what I do with my truck, and the pro power thing would be pretty sweet for the camping weekends.

Purely from a numbers standpoint the 7.3 would probably be fine, just not what I want and not enough to convince me to buy a new truck yet.

4 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

Lawncare. 30 ft enclosed trailer. I'm not sure of exact weight, never weighed it, but I'd guess around 10k based on other things I've towed with the same truck. My normal weekly route is under 200 miles, so BEV could work if I plug it in every night, but I also use the truck for personal use towing 4 wheelers or rock crawlers out to the mountains, so that's the main BEV hesitation. As far as gas.. I don't like the power curve of any gas engine I've driven for what I do with the truck (fairly heavy trailers hooked 95% of the time). Gas engine paired with a hybrid would seem to be the sweet spot for what I do with my truck, and the pro power thing would be pretty sweet for the camping weekends.

Purely from a numbers standpoint the 7.3 would probably be fine, just not what I want and not enough to convince me to buy a new truck yet.

Thx for response.  For sure, 30' box and 10k in weight givers you good reason to think about capability.  Given fact the 7.3 is used up to 33,000 gvw -actually you can get a 750 with  37,000 lb gvw- I would think a 7.3 would do a good job for you- and I think in tractor applications the GCW is 50,000lbs.  Check out You Tube.  There are a lot of 6.7 vs 7.3 comparisons and I would say most 7.3 buyers have been satisfied with their decision.  And a lot of them were 6.7 owners.

If I had to summarize it, I think given the first cost of a 6.7 vs the 7.3, most people can appreciate the cost savings even if they do sacrifice a bit of capability in max load sitiuations.

And I hear you on the pro power thing but in due time.  For now I'm all for simplicity.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Thx for response.  For sure, 30' box and 10k in weight givers you good reason to think about capability.  Given fact the 7.3 is used up to 33,000 gvw -actually you can get a 750 with  37,000 lb gvw- I would think a 7.3 would do a good job for you- and I think in tractor applications the GCW is 50,000lbs.  Check out You Tube.  There are a lot of 6.7 vs 7.3 comparisons and I would say most 7.3 buyers have been satisfied with their decision.  And a lot of them were 6.7 owners.

If I had to summarize it, I think given the first cost of a 6.7 vs the 7.3, most people can appreciate the cost savings even if they do sacrifice a bit of capability in max load sitiuations.

And I hear you on the pro power thing but in due time.  For now I'm all for simplicity.

I've pulled it with my old 96 7.3 diesel without too much issue even when it was stock, but I don't know... the 6.2 gave me a bad taste with Ford gas engines - def fun unloaded, but feels like a dog with any weight behind it. I liked the older v10s more than them with a load. I haven't driven or towed with a new 7.3 gas yet though. To be clear, I know even an old 300 straight 6 would do it if I needed it to and the new gas engines would be perfectly fine, I just prefer the diesel torque and am waiting for a viable BEV or hybrid option to fill that void for me. Or maybe the gas 7.3 already has it, won't know until I drive one.

So mundane it’s shocking. 

So the mysterious 6.8 is just a shorter stroke 7.3 with port injection, cast crank, “bowl shaped pistons” (for port injection?) and no apparent cylinder deactivation…and they’re keeping the 7.3 as optional?   

Seems like a lot of overlap between the two.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

I'm pretty sure those 7 people are pretty worried.

Check it out man. Ford is building V8’s in 2022, that’s a blessing in itself. 

These engines are probably some of the last of their kind. I look at engines like someone might look at a lathe or a milling machine. An engine can survive and be revived for a hundred years. 

If an Achilles heel is built into something it’s a detriment for a looong time. This is especially true if the competition is not building in the same hurdle. 

The two main oil galley system on the 351 Cleveland just killed that engine’s reputation not because it didn’t work. It’s that there was no headroom built in on an engine that was capable of much more than it was delivered with in the cars it came in. 

I just want Ford to be the best. That’s all. 

Edited by Stray Kat

42 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

How about if it makes it as a base V-8 at much less cost than the 6.2???  A wild thought that it may make sense on the pure economics?  Less cost without giving away  a lot of performance??   Why did the 7.3 kill the V-10????

Agreed. Ford doesn't need the 6.8 to be the "be all, end all" of V8s, they just need it to fill the 6.2's slot at a lower unit cost. Heck, by consolidating the SuperDuty on one gasser architecture, it doesn't even have to be that much cheaper than the Boss to be a big win for Ford (although it seems pretty obvious that the 6.8 should cost significantly less to build than the 6.2).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

How about if it makes it as a base V-8 at much less cost than the 6.2???  A wild thought that it may make sense on the pure economics?  Less cost without giving away  a lot of performance??   Why did the 7.3 kill the V-10????

More likely that it lets them charge a premium for the 7.3L.

• Like 2