The New 6.8L V8 Thread

49 minutes ago, twintornados said:

The 4.6L and 5.4L Triton motors were not a "crash program" to get new V8's to market, they were designed as a replacement for the 5.0L, 5.8L with the 6.8L Triton V10 as a replacement for the 7.4L "big block" V8 so that one design could replace all three engines.

For all its early design problems, the 6.8 V10 settled into being a good large engine, so much that it saw off the GM 8.0 V8.

Love or hate the MODs, they got the job done even with skinny bearings and oil pump problems, Coyote becoming the final triumph. Had Ford not been distracted by thoughts of transverse FWD V8 that never really was, they could have made the mods much better with bigger bore spacing of earlier small blocks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

For all its early design problems, the 6.8 V10 settled into being a good large engine, so much that it saw off the GM 8.0 V8.

Love or hate the MODs, they got the job done even with skinny bearings and oil pump problems, Coyote becoming the final triumph. Had Ford not been distracted by thoughts of transverse FWD V8 that never really was, they could have made the mods much better with bigger bore spacing of earlier small blocks.

I agree but would like to take it one step further. The 6.2 Raptor engine is everything the Mod needed and absolutely got zero interest from an enthusiast’s standpoint. 

I saw the video where Brian Wolfe gave the reasons why Ford detoured away from OHC’s. 

In some ways Ford sticking with the DOHC V8 and building them for the masses is one of their greatest achievements. 

Except for a couple Japanese DOHC V8’s there are very few affordable DOHC V8’s in the market. 

As a matter of fact one could argue that the Mod, Coyote and AJ-V8’s are some of the most technically leading V8’s available  for the average person. 

Every one of those has been sterling and capable of mind blowing performance. 

With that ☝️said as a Ford performance enthusiast I am extremely happy Ford now has an offering that in my opinion supersedes the GM LS platform for every reason it is popular. 

My hope for the 6.8 was that it would be lighter with an alloy block and a more compact induction system. 

If Ford does introduce such a stablemate to the 7.3 and they keep it simple with port injection only then I think Ford could really put a period on the final heyday of the traditional pushrod American V8. 

I realize times are tough and sober minds must plan for the future but here we are right now with an opportunity to win a whole new generation of enthusiasts. 

Do we want to capture them? I think yes. 

Edited by Stray Kat
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, twintornados said:

The 4.6L and 5.4L Triton motors were not a "crash program" to get new V8's to market, they were designed as a replacement for the 5.0L, 5.8L with the 6.8L Triton V10 as a replacement for the 7.4L "big block" V8 so that one design could replace all three engines.

These engines were not conceived until 1985 or 1986.  Prior to that, Ford was just going to ride with their traditional V-8s thinking that the market for them would eventually dry up (as other automakers did).  When people started demanding more V-8 powered vehicles around 1982 and 1983, Ford developed the Modular engines.  That is what I meant by "crash program."

• ice-capades changed the title to The New 6.8L V8 Thread
21 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I just don't see the reason for the 6.8 in the SD.  I doubt the engine will be any cheaper to build.  It might save 1-2 mpg at best.

??? How could it NOT be cheaper.  Assuming it is built alongside 7.3 just on parts costs alone it would be cheaper.  And I'm assuming as a clone of a 7.3, when you look at what has been done with that engine by the "gear heads", it has  guts for sure.

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

??? How could it NOT be cheaper.  Assuming it is built alongside 7.3 just on parts costs alone it would be cheaper.  And I'm assuming as a clone of a 7.3, when you look at what has been done with that engine by the "gear heads", it has  guts for sure.

Why would it be cheaper than the 7.3?   Same parts just slightly smaller cylinders/pistons/rods?

• Like 1

I don't doubt 'FordAuthority', usually they are pretty accurate with their reports.  However, a 6.8L in the Super Duty does not make much sense unless it replaces the 7.3L.  Only about a .5L (30 cubic inch) difference in size, I doubt a 6.8L would offer much in the way of better fuel economy or reduced emissions.  Then again, if the 6.8L were to have direct injection it could offer better economy and emissions and make the same power as the current 7.3L.  Ram and GM get along just fine with one good gas engine for their large pickups. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Unless it's an EcoBoost.....

I'm sure this has been beat to death in the previous 14 pages.  But maybe the 7.3 was pared down to 6.8 to give it more strength to handle the PSI of a turbo?  A dual turbo V8 gasser.  Now that could haul some ass!

Outside of that, no reason for a 6.8.

• Like 2

No Ecoboost, no hybrid for the Super Duty.  With Ford consolodating ICE's, a D.I. 6.8L makes sense as a replacement for both the current 6.2L and 7.3L.  I am also thinking the bore of the 7.3L may be a bit too large for future emissions regulations.  Won't be able to keep port fuel injection around much longer either.  

3 hours ago, 92merc said:

I just don't see the reason for the 6.8 in the SD.  I doubt the engine will be any cheaper to build.  It might save 1-2 mpg at best.

I'll bet 6.8 is a replacement for both 6.2/7.3 in the F250/350 -- possibly GDI with output on par with the 7.3? 

7.3 remains for medium duty and CNG?  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I was not alluding to the 7.3 in my response to Merc- I perhaps incorrectly assumed he was comparing it to  a "Cammer"-be it 6.2, 5.0 whatever.

No doubt the 7.3L is and the 6.8L will be less expensive to manufacture than the 'orphan' 6.2L.

Funny thing I found out about the 6.2L: Ford was planning a 7L+ Boss, but the only way they could do it would to be with a taller deck block.  However, by doing so, the resulting engine would not fit in a Super Duty.  Too wide.  Didn't see that one coming guys?  And thus the 7.3L was born.... 

37 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

No Ecoboost, no hybrid for the Super Duty.  With Ford consolodating ICE's, a D.I. 6.8L makes sense as a replacement for both the current 6.2L and 7.3L.  I am also thinking the bore of the 7.3L may be a bit too large for future emissions regulations.  Won't be able to keep port fuel injection around much longer either.  

Agree on the simplicity point.  That IMO will be the attraction to a lot of people vs a cam motor.  As to the external dimensions I  was perhaps incorrectly assuming it would be different in terms of the package-and a fit for 150.

34 minutes ago, 7Mary3 said:

No doubt the 7.3L is and the 6.8L will be less expensive to manufacture than the 'orphan' 6.2L.

Funny thing I found out about the 6.2L: Ford was planning a 7L+ Boss, but the only way they could do it would to be with a taller deck block.  However, by doing so, the resulting engine would not fit in a Super Duty.  Too wide.  Didn't see that one coming guys?  And thus the 7.3L was born.... 

And I think Brian Wolfe also referenced the narrow width of the 7.3 for possible use in E series???

If this is true, I think Godzilla in the Super Duty would see a small update to roughly 500 lb-ft, just to give the 6.8 room to be in the lineup. Guess we will see it in some form in F-150 too, as the original rumor said?

This should take from some Ram customers as well, especially with all the talk of getting rid of the Hemi.

1 hour ago, 7Mary3 said:

Yeah, that's a very tall tale courtesy of Brian Wolfe, IMO.   

The 6.2 Boss deck height is 9.41 inches, Godzilla is 9.65 inches.   

The 6.2 sits in the SD chassis with ease and an extra ~1/2" of total engine width wouldn't have prevented a 9.65-in deck version of the 6.2 (the 6.9 he mentioned) from going into the SD at all.    

I find it to be a nice, tidy story to keep people from asking why he didn't choose to continue 6.2 development but it's a pretty obvious fiction, IMHO.  

Edited by ESP08
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I was not alluding to the 7.3 in my response to Merc- I perhaps incorrectly assumed he was comparing it to  a "Cammer"-be it 6.2, 5.0 whatever.

Silly me I thought the 7.3 already replaced the 6.2L.  Of course it will be cheaper than the 6.2L.  But having both the 6.8 and 7.3 makes no sense.

• Like 2