What were your reasons for going with the Explorer vs the Expediton

Primarily it was the wife's decision.  We've always owned at least one 4WD vehicle, so she and I are used to driving taller vehicles, sitting up high having more ability to monitor surrounding traffic with all the crazies on the road.  She has also volunteered us both to be "car services" for our grandchildren.  When we bought the Expedition, there were three in child seats, and since I was ready to replace my crew cab pickup, she determined that the Expedition was a better match in that it allowed their three child seats to be placed apart with room for us to climb back in to fasten their restraint belts, and there were rear seat A/C outlets unlike the truck.  Also, we bought the Max so that there would be cargo space in the back with child seats latched into the third row.  Fast forward three years and she needed a new vehicle. Now the older ones can sit in booster seats and fasten themselves in so with a fourth grandchild on the way, she went from a Lincoln MKX to an Aviator; so now we have both.  

Climbing into the back seat area of an Explorer or Aviator to buckle in your kids should be no problem...If you're young and agile, but we're not.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Three biggest factors were garage space, styling, performance.   I'm coming from a line of smaller vehicles ('06 Evo, '08 STi, '12 135i, '16 340i), but now our family is growing and I need something a bit bigger.  I also like the proportions of the Explorer ST over the expedition. Dream car would be a wagon (E63 AMG, RS6) but price is always a factor. 

I might lower the ST (only 1.125"), and I didn't order it with roof rails in hopes to keep it more 'wagony' looking and less upright SUV.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We moved from a 2011 Explorer to a 2015 Expedition to a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee and now to a 2021 Explorer.   My wife is smaller and wanted a smaller vehicle than the Expedition, which is why we got the Jeep.  However we really missed the 3rd row seats so we decided to go back to the Explorer after she totalled the Jeep a few weeks ago.

My wife and myself thought the same about the step in especially coming from a low slung sedan. Lowering the seat hight (if equipped) can help but after a week of driving, it isn't as noticeable. The sedan took some getting used to when we first bought it as it was a little harder getting out of it compared to our Venza.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...