2021 Bronco Reviews

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Savage Geese just said the ride quality was dramatically better than Wrangler.  So it’s hard to really other than there appears to be a lot of subjectiveness at play here, or maybe comparing different models.

Awesome, I'm only 2 minutes into that video.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I really need to dig more into these reviews.  ...and yes, I'm sure it also has to do with which trim each reviewer is testing (a la 35" tires vs base tires, etc...)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Savage Geese just said the ride quality was dramatically better than Wrangler.  So it’s hard to really other than there appears to be a lot of subjectiveness at play here, or maybe comparing different models.

Jeep goes with solid front axle for better off road performance, but most drive on road and thus poor steering feel. Ford went for significantly better on road feel and achieved it. Not subjective...just better engineering. However, Ford achieved great off road performance also even with Independent front suspension. So a win win by Ford engineering. Beat Jeep at their own game. And the Bronco is on an all new Ranger platform. So one should expect it to be more refined than aging Wrangler. 

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

The Sasquatch tires have a lot to do with it. I was talking to an engineer a few months ago at the dealer event and he had mentioned it was a noticeable difference to him but he felt it was better than Wrangler. 

Just finished watching the SavageGeese review.  Wow.  Those guys are notorious Ford haters (I'm still smarting over their Ranger review). For them to sing such flowery praises for the Bronco means a lot.

I'm looking forward to more longer term reviews (1 week, etc... instead of just a rushed 24 hour the first drive reviews all seem to be).

Can't wait to see some member reviews too!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Just finished watching the SavageGeese review.  Wow.  Those guys are notorious Ford haters (I'm still smarting over their Ranger review). For them to sing such flowery praises for the Bronco means a lot.

I'm looking forward to more longer term reviews (1 week, etc... instead of just a rushed 24 hour the first drive reviews all seem to be).

Can't wait to see some member reviews too!

Still don't get their complaints about the "underpowered" 4 banger turbo with 300hp and plenty of torque. They talked like the 2.3 is not a turbo and modest horsepower. In the Ranger, the 2.3 is a very robust engine and it has less hp than Bronco. I've watched a number of reviews of 2.3 Bronco and no one complained about underpowered. Maybe against Hemi V8 power, but 300 hp is not underpowered.

I'm starting to wonder if the SAS package really makes ride that much smoother than the other more road setups (base/bb/ob)? I guess I will just have to drive it and find out.

I am going to throw out the golf clap for Ford and the engineers behind the Bronco. They have clearly come out with a better Jeep. If it weren't for Covid and all the underlying problems that it created, I think Ford would of caught Jeep even more off guard. Jeep had plenty of time to develop the 392, hybrid, and Rubicon package (35's)  to counter Bronco. That's about all they can do right now until a full redesign. 

10 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Still don't get their complaints about the "underpowered" 4 banger turbo with 300hp and plenty of torque. They talked like the 2.3 is not a turbo and modest horsepower. In the Ranger, the 2.3 is a very robust engine and it has less hp than Bronco. I've watched a number of reviews of 2.3 Bronco and no one complained about underpowered. Maybe against Hemi V8 power, but 300 hp is not underpowered.

Not sure if the gearing and tire packages on the Bronco make the power delivery feel different as well.  I know my Ranger feels pretty quick with the 2.3L, but who knows.  They seemed pretty hungry for the 2.7L as well, so the 2.3 may always have been the lesser engine to them no matter how strong it is.

14 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I wish they wrote their evaluations before being told what is in it.  If V8 is burned ito their brain, nothing else will be satisfactory.

11 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I'm starting to wonder if the SAS package really makes ride that much smoother than the other more road setups (base/bb/ob)? I guess I will just have to drive it and find out.

I am going to throw out the golf clap for Ford and the engineers behind the Bronco. They have clearly come out with a better Jeep. If it weren't for Covid and all the underlying problems that it created, I think Ford would of caught Jeep even more off guard. Jeep had plenty of time to develop the 392, hybrid, and Rubicon package (35's)  to counter Bronco. That's about all they can do right now until a full redesign. 

Well, one thing is for sure, Jeep is not giving up their golden egg without a fight so we are going to see some awesome "back and forth" features being added to both the Bronco and Wrangler for the foreseeable future which is going to make for some incredible vehicles. The next era of vehicles is off-road!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

I've only read two reviews so far (Jalopnik and TFL) and they both mention that the on-road driving experience isn't really much different from the Wrangler as we expected.  TFL mentioning the difference is really subtle and David saying the Jeep was actually smoother on-road (though advised the Bronco felt a bit more stable at speed).  I only mention this because I know that was surmised to be one of the big differentiators for the two vehicles.  From the sounds of the TFL article, it sounds like the ride will be similar to the Ranger (which is fine by me!)

PS: Thanks for posting all the review links, I'm going to make my way through them all!

We drove a 2.3 Ranger so we could have a general feel for the Bronco.    The Ranger seemed to hold it's own quite well, plenty of power for our driving.  I was concerned about the B pillar mass against my shoulder, but the 2 door Bronco appears to have longer doors.

18 minutes ago, Brianstrange said:

I wish they wrote their evaluations before being told what is in it.  If V8 is burned ito their brain, nothing else will be satisfactory.

They actually said the Jeep turbo 2.0 felt quicker which makes no sense.

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

They actually said the Jeep turbo 2.0 felt quicker which makes no sense.

I did notice that you really need to step into the 2.3 to get strong power output.  It also took my wife a little getting use to the 10 speed as well.   I want to hear the long term reviews on Autoweek.   I can't speak for the 2.0.

Just one question/comment about the Savage Geese review. They kept referring to the chassis as an "all new" design. Is that really true? I thought we were talking about an evolution or update of the T6 platform which has been around for what, at least ten years? I'm not saying the age of the design is a bad thing and it might actually be helpful if potential buyers knew that this is a proven and capable design and not something all new that might have more teething issues.

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

First the Mach E, then the Bronco Sport and now the Bronco and finally the Maverick, finally ends the 36+ month long shit show (not even counting COVID in that) that Ford has embarked on with killing off its sedans and all the turmoil that it has caused. Stock prices are moving in the right direction and the future looks good with the F-150 Lightning, next gen Ranger and the BEV versions of the Explorer and other products coming soon. 

I do kinda wish they kept the Fusion,  I love mine for my commuter. 

5 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Just one question/comment about the Savage Geese review. They kept referring to the chassis as an "all new" design. Is that really true? I thought we were talking about an evolution or update of the T6 platform which has been around for what, at least ten years? I'm not saying the age of the design is a bad thing and it might actually be helpful if potential buyers knew that this is a proven and capable design and not something all new that might have more teething issues.

The current Ranger engine bay can't fit a V engine in it. That is mostly due to sheetmetal, but I'm sure that the frame was beefed up a bit to take the extra power from a V6 twin turbo and other things to improve suspension ride and what not.

The other thing is that the Bronco has a new wiring harness/bus (might share parts with the new F-150, I'm assuming) where as the older Ranger is using something similar to CD4 (maybe-going by center stack and other IP details) that only supports Sync3 etc.

New frame style platform isn't as big of a deal as a unibody one, because unibody has additional things it has to do like crash structures and what not that somewhat mitigated by BOF construction to a point. 

I guess it would be akin to the Mustang going from the S197 to the S550 with IRS...a deep update of the platform. 

I had a long time that I did not see the coincidence of all the media that cover motorsport unanimously and enthusiastically praising a new car like this happening with the new Ford Bronco. Even the media that regularly oppose Ford products say this product is perfect.

There are practically no negative points, everything is praise: the design, the engineering, the off-road and on-road behavior, the flexibility, the possibility of individualization, the quality and the refinement. This  car is going to be a total hit. It seems to me that Ford still does not know the gigantic success that it has in hand and it is a pity that if production is so delayed, so limited and so rugged (there are still no hard tops available, until September !!!). Ford should consider activating another assembly plant to meet demand.

On the other hand, and seeing the irrefutable success of this car, what if we think of a Lincoln version?  ... the same basic design, some different exterior panels, a new interior and all the luxury and quality that allow it to compete with Land Rover , both the Defender line and the Range Rover. It would be the first 4x4 and off road auto from Lincoln. A true competitor for the Land Rover Defender. This car could be sold at a high price, around $ 100,000.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

I had a long time that I did not see the coincidence of all the media that cover motorsport unanimously and enthusiastically praising a new car like this happening with the new Ford Bronco. Even the media that regularly oppose Ford products say this product is perfect.

There are practically no negative points, everything is praise: the design, the engineering, the off-road and on-road behavior, the flexibility, the possibility of individualization, the quality and the refinement. This  car is going to be a total hit. It seems to me that Ford still does not know the gigantic success that it has in hand and it is a pity that if production is so delayed, so limited and so rugged (there are still no hard tops available, until September !!!). Ford should consider activating another assembly plant to meet demand.

On the other hand, and seeing the irrefutable success of this car, what if we think of a Lincoln version?  ... the same basic design, some different exterior panels, a new interior and all the luxury and quality that allow it to compete with Land Rover , both the Defender line and the Range Rover. It would be the first 4x4 and off road auto from Lincoln. A true competitor for the Land Rover Defender. This car could be sold at a high price, around $ 100,000.

The biggest turning point for Lincoln's direction is that leadership is no longer looking new Ford products and asking "what about a Lincoln version?"

They conceptualize products they think fit their image, and then they see if it works with the available architectures. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

An Aviator given Explorers "Timberline" treatment may be a better option here. What would be a nice touch is if in the Limited trim level of various Ford vehicles, they tout the interior as "Designed by Lincoln" to give it a higher level of luxury.

Outside Online: An Ode To The New Ford Bronco.

I expected more to be made out of these bits during the media blitz, but I'm glad Outside picked them up:

Ford took the time to develop its own steel bumper, specifically designed to carry that Warn winch. Then it crash tested it, and with that data, developed a specific algorithm for the airbag computers that enables them to compensate for the difference in forces created by the winch and bumper being shoved into the Bronco’s frame. Mount that winch and bumper to your Bronco, and Ford will upload that program to your truck, allowing you to run those important off-road upgrades without compromising your on-road safety. It’s the first time any carmaker has been that thorough.

The same goes for side impacts. There’s 
a loophole in American crash safety regulations that allows vehicles with removable doors, like the Bronco, to forego some side impact crash tests. But Ford ran the Bronco through those crash tests anyway, making sure its side curtain airbags and frame will continue to provide full protection for the occupants, even if the doors are stored in the back at the time of the accident. It’s also the first time any carmaker has been that thorough for those types of impacts on this type of vehicle.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

An Aviator given Explorers "Timberline" treatment may be a better option here. What would be a nice touch is if in the Limited trim level of various Ford vehicles, they tout the interior as "Designed by Lincoln" to give it a higher level of luxury.

I'm not sure Lincoln is in a place where it can venture into space that isn't part of its core segment. Let's be honest, Lincoln has finally just gotten back on it's feet again after a couple decades of flailing around. I'm not sure offering outdoor a Bronco version or giving the Aviator an aggressive outdoor trim is the best idea here for Lincoln.

In regards to the Bronco, I could see them rolling out  a "Plantinum" trim (named something else) if they determine there is enough demand. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

In regards to the Bronco, I could see them rolling out  a "Platinum" trim (named something else) if they determine there is enough demand. 

Well, since the Bronco "First Edition" is a pretty loaded up horse....I am sure it will re-emerge next year (or 2023) as a "Platinum" or "Limited" trim level.....looking forward to a "King Ranch" version of it.