2021 Bronco Reviews

I fully expected the 2.3 to be in the 7.0-8.5 range depending on trim, trans, and driver. Knock off another second for V6. I mean who doesn't expect the base 2 door with V6/auto to put up a hero time?  Will it matter? Probably not, maybe only to bench racer's. The fact is that should be plenty fast enough even when merging onto the highway. If it does matter you can go with aftermarket tune or wait for the warranty honoring Ford tune. 

If I end up with a Bronco 2.3, and I decided to tune I'd probably go with Livernois tunes, as their tunes are proven but somewhat conservative.As in, don't push it to go boom level to get the highest output.

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I'm not sure Lincoln is in a place where it can venture into space that isn't part of its core segment. Let's be honest, Lincoln has finally just gotten back on it's feet again after a couple decades of flailing around. I'm not sure offering outdoor a Bronco version or giving the Aviator an aggressive outdoor trim is the best idea here for Lincoln.

In regards to the Bronco, I could see them rolling out  a "Plantinum" trim (named something else) if they determine there is enough demand. 

The idea of the “Lincoln Bronco” is something like the Land Rover Range Rover Sport or Land Rover Defender. Those are luxury adventurer vehicles, with a good 4x4 and off road capabilities.  When Lincoln launched the Navigator, everybody said that the Lincoln customers will not buy that truck. Maybe a new segment for Lincoln could be a good idea. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

If I end up with a Bronco 2.3, and I decided to tune I'd probably go with Livernois tunes, as their tunes are proven but somewhat conservative.As in, don't push it to go boom level to get the highest output.

Livernois has pissed off the 3.5 Ecoboost SHO crowd a few years back. Lack of support, fucking over a forum member on ecoboostperforanceforum and so on.

I had a livernois tune for my SHO and last updated it in 2017-2018 and never had any issues though. 

37 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

The idea of the “Lincoln Bronco” is something like the Land Rover Range Rover Sport or Land Rover Defender. Those are luxury adventurer vehicles, with a good 4x4 and off road capabilities.  When Lincoln launched the Navigator, everybody said that the Lincoln customers will not buy that truck. Maybe a new segment for Lincoln could be a good idea. 

I just don't think that Lincoln has the pedigree for such a vehicle. The Navigator is a special use case that created the segment. Lincoln isn't really selling the off road chops for the Navigator. Can it go a bit off road? Sure. It's selling the truck towing attributes of the truck, while pampering in land yacht luxury. 

It could be possible to build a vehicle like the Defender, I'd just worry that it would end up like the Mark LT. It would truly have to differentiate itself from the Bronco, while keeping the design language of Lincoln. 

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Livernois has pissed off the 3.5 Ecoboost SHO crowd a few years back. Lack of support, fucking over a forum member on ecoboostperforanceforum and so on.

I had a livernois tune for my SHO and last updated it in 2017-2018 and never had any issues though. 

I didn't know that. I hadn't been following them for a while. When I did, they were known as a very good Ecoboost tuning shop.

39 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

ooh, I have to hear that story one day 

10 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

I had a long time that I did not see the coincidence of all the media that cover motorsport unanimously and enthusiastically praising a new car like this happening with the new Ford Bronco. Even the media that regularly oppose Ford products say this product is perfect.

There are practically no negative points, everything is praise: the design, the engineering, the off-road and on-road behavior, the flexibility, the possibility of individualization, the quality and the refinement. This  car is going to be a total hit. It seems to me that Ford still does not know the gigantic success that it has in hand and it is a pity that if production is so delayed, so limited and so rugged (there are still no hard tops available, until September !!!). Ford should consider activating another assembly plant to meet demand.

On the other hand, and seeing the irrefutable success of this car, what if we think of a Lincoln version?  ... the same basic design, some different exterior panels, a new interior and all the luxury and quality that allow it to compete with Land Rover , both the Defender line and the Range Rover. It would be the first 4x4 and off road auto from Lincoln. A true competitor for the Land Rover Defender. This car could be sold at a high price, around $ 100,000.

Yeah, the criticisms seem limited to what most of us have noticed and truthfully amounts to nitpicking.  A few common themes that I agree with that I've seen in reviews mention tech-related things like lack of auto wipers, a/c seats, out-of-the-way parking brake, and dash materials on upper trims.  Also noticed not all like the half analog half digital gauge cluster, which I think should've been all digital.

Regarding a Lincoln, I think no.  They've really targeted that quiet flight/luxury theme, and I just don't think a "Lin-co" fits that right now despite what the competition has out there.

5 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Outside Online: An Ode To The New Ford Bronco.

I expected more to be made out of these bits during the media blitz, but I'm glad Outside picked them up:

I've looked at so many reviews over the last day I don't recall which it was, but one of the video reviews I saw mentioned they did that and I thought that was pretty neat.  Good on Ford for thinking about the safety stuff.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 12:19 PM, akirby said:

But the comment about the 2.3L not having any torque off the line is a head scratcher and completely opposite my experience with ecoboost engines.  I also don’t recall anyone else with that complaint.  

The guys at Savagegeese said the same thing about the 2.3L.....just lacked low end torque off the line....and to be fair, the Bronco is a big vehicle. 

12 minutes ago, kyle said:

The guys at Savagegeese said the same thing about the 2.3L.....just lacked low end torque off the line....and to be fair, the Bronco is a big vehicle. 

Plus AWD and bigger tires soI guess that makes sense.

What still doesn’t make sense is for the Wrangler Turbo 2.0L to be much better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kyle said:

Just saw the latest TFL video and they timed the 2.3 0-60 in 8.7 seconds which they thought was fine. A little turbo lag up to 2000 rpm, and then pulls strongly up to red line. Yeah, the 4 dr. soft top weighs 5,000 pounds which is pretty heavy. But the 4 dr Bronco is a big, roomy vehicle. A hybrid Bronco would be nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'll chalk it up to a difference in engine tuning and/or throttle mapping and gearing. 

I forgot which review (TFL or SavageGeese) also mentioned the Wrangler weighs around 300 pounds less when comparing trim to trim.   The Ranger also weighs less by a few or more hundred pounds with the same engine, so I guess it is possible there is a difference, but I am sure it is negligible.

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Just saw the latest TFL video and they timed the 2.3 0-60 in 8.7 seconds which they thought was fine. A little turbo lag up to 2000 rpm, and then pulls strongly up to red line. Yeah, the 4 dr. soft top weighs 5,000 pounds which is pretty heavy. But the 4 dr Bronco is a big, roomy vehicle. A hybrid Bronco would be nice.

My solution to speed is whenever I want to go fast, pull everything off.  I joke about it, but seriously you'd be pulling off 124 lbs of MIC top (painted will probably be more), and another 194 lbs (54x2 front, 43x2 rear)......so you're pulling at least 318 lbs. off the vehicle.  It's not going to hurt acceleration anyway.....though aerodynamics take a hit lol.

If there's any positive to being pushed to a '23, it's that I hope a few features may appear by then - I'd certainly consider a hybrid - but a/c seats and some of the missing tech would be nice (ACC stop and go, auto wipers etc).

Edited by rmc523

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

My solution to speed is whenever I want to go fast, pull everything off.  I joke about it, but seriously you'd be pulling off 124 lbs of MIC top (painted will probably be more), and another 194 lbs (54x2 front, 43x2 rear)......so you're pulling at least 318 lbs. off the vehicle.  It's not going to hurt acceleration anyway.....though aerodynamics take a hit lol.

If there's any positive to being pushed to a '23, it's that I hope a few features may appear by then - I'd certainly consider a hybrid - but a/c seats and some of the missing tech would be nice (ACC stop and go, auto wipers etc).

I would say a hybrid and plugin hybrid is necessary. Hopefully by 2023. The fuel mileage numbers are disappointing. Looks like Ford is going to offer hybrid on all its models shortly. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I would say a hybrid and plugin hybrid is necessary. Hopefully by 2023. The fuel mileage numbers are disappointing. Looks like Ford is going to offer hybrid on all its models shortly. 

Honestly, though, with the launch/top issues thus far, they'll probably wait until a refresh to add a hybrid powertrain.  Also depends on what Warthog ends up getting powertrain wise - I think we've determined it's the 3.0, but the question has been whether it's a hybrid or not.  If it's setup for a hybrid in that, it'd be easier to have one in the rest of the lineup......plug and play a lesser engine with a battery pack (obviously a simplification, but still).

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

I forgot which review (TFL or SavageGeese) also mentioned the Wrangler weighs around 300 pounds less when comparing trim to trim.   The Ranger also weighs less by a few or more hundred pounds with the same engine, so I guess it is possible there is a difference, but I am sure it is negligible.

Thats why I figured it probably comes down to engine tune/throttle mapping and gearing. 

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Let me ask you this since you're one of the more vocal people in regards to auto wipers. What you like about them? I have them and didn't care for them. Explain it to me, I must be missing something. 

27 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Let me ask you this since you're one of the more vocal people in regards to auto wipers. What you like about them? I have them and didn't care for them. Explain it to me, I must be missing something. 

Being lazy I guess.  Though it wouldn't really apply to me, one review I read yesterday also mentioned auto wipers would be handy for offroading if water or mud splashed up, the wipers could be automatically cleaning the windshield immediately without you having to do anything.  That said, if there were a list of a few missing features, auto wipers wouldn't be the top of the list for me - I'd easily put stop/go ACC or A/C seats above auto wipers.

And perhaps a bigger thing for me with the missing features is the pricepoint it's at at the top end - I know the argument of they spent money on capability and left some other things out, but when you have other, cheaper products in the lineup - or even Bronco Sport, for example - getting certain features that it's bigger sibling doesn't have, it irks me for the price I'll be paying for it, that's all.

I’ve had auto wipers for 20 years now.  They work great.  I also don’t have them on my F150 and I do miss them.  The big advantage is not having to constantly adjust the speed or turn them off and on in intermittent rain or mist.  Same as auto hvac - set the temp and let it do it’s thing.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I’ve had auto wipers for 20 years now.  They work great.  I also don’t have them on my F150 and I do miss them.  The big advantage is not having to constantly adjust the speed or turn them off and on in intermittent rain or mist.  Same as auto hvac - set the temp and let it do it’s thing.

Granted I only had the system activated for a short time because it annoyed me too much but I found that it was either WAAAAAAAY too fast or too slow. It never seems to be the speed I feel is appropriate for the situation. I would rather just do it myself. 

Auto HVAC on the other hand, I don't ever want to be without that again. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 3

And perhaps a bigger thing for me with the missing features is the pricepoint it's at at the top end - I know the argument of they spent money on capability and left some other things out, but when you have other, cheaper products in the lineup - or even Bronco Sport, for example - getting certain features that it's bigger sibling doesn't have, it irks me for the price I'll be paying for it, that's all.

That's fair. 

Being lazy I guess.  Though it wouldn't really apply to me, one review I read yesterday also mentioned auto wipers would be handy for offroading if water or mud splashed up, the wipers could be automatically cleaning the windshield immediately without you having to do anything.  That said, if there were a list of a few missing features, auto wipers wouldn't be the top of the list for me - I'd easily put stop/go ACC or A/C seats above auto wipers.

It looks like auto-wipers will be added for MY23 as some of the prototypes have them (you can see the dot on the windshield next to the camera). I agree though my unit over 60k is missing a lot of little surprise and delight features and really doesn’t have that much more than my now 11 year old truck. I fully understand why they didn’t go full luxury route on the Black Diamond/Badlands but on the outer banks/wild track it makes sense for the heated wiper park, auto wipers, stop/go cruise lane centering etc, auto rear braking,  a/c  seats, heated rear seats, rear vents, multi color ambient lighting, auto dimming exterior mirrors, etc. to at least be on the high and Lux versions. 

It seems that even the Bronco program went though a cost cutting program in the 2018/2019 to delete features and raise margins which one has to wonder if that didn’t lay the groundwork for the engineering launch issues that are going on now with the roof systems and supplier issues.

14 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

It looks like auto-wipers will be added for MY23 as some of the prototypes have them (you can see the dot on the windshield next to the camera). I agree though my unit over 60k is missing a lot of little surprise and delight features and really doesn’t have that much more than my now 11 year old truck. I fully understand why they didn’t go full luxury route on the Black Diamond/Badlands but on the outer banks/wild track it makes sense for the heated wiper park, auto wipers, stop/go cruise lane centering etc, auto rear braking,  a/c  seats, heated rear seats, rear vents, multi color ambient lighting, auto dimming exterior mirrors, etc. to at least be on the high and Lux versions. 

It seems that even the Bronco program went though a cost cutting program in the 2018/2019 to delete features and raise margins which one has to wonder if that didn’t lay the groundwork for the engineering launch issues that are going on now with the roof systems and supplier issues.

As I've said, if there's one good thing about being pushed back to a '23 because of the top, it's hope that they'll add some things "back" in.