EcoBoost can now take advantage of Premium fuel

26 minutes ago, theoldwizard1 said:

I just read that the 2 EcoBoost engines offered in the Bronco will take advantage of Premium fuel and produce more horsepower !  I have been waiting for this for a long time !!

Sadly they can't do this with E85 unless the add an auxillary injector.

Hasn't this always been the case? I know in all my in the 3 ecoboost engines (2 2.0 and a 1.6) the owners manual stated that for best performance under heavy usage to use premium fuel. I'd have to look it up in the manual for wording but it was something to that effect. I think now they are broadcasting that premium/regular fuel differences. If I had to guess I'd say at the introduction of the ecoboost engines, the mere mention of premium fuel would of turned some customers off.

• Like 2

Hi theoldwizard1. As others have mentioned above, the EcoBoost (and Lincoln "T" equivalents) are tested and certified using premium fuel, so they actually provide the maximum advertised HP/torque using premium fuel. 

So technically, based on the advertised power outputs as the benchmark, we don't see more power using premium, we actually see dialed back/less power if we use regular/mid-grade fuels. And this has been the case since the EcoBoost engines were introduced.

As an example: My 2018 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD is rated (by Lincoln/Ford) at 400hp/400lb-ft torque. That rating is achieved by using premium, 93 octane fuel. If I use 91 or 89 octane mid-grades, or 87 octane regular, then hp/tq will drop by corresponding amounts...up to ~10% (according to Lincoln/Ford).

Hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 1:30 AM, bbf2530 said:

Hi theoldwizard1. As others have mentioned above, the EcoBoost (and Lincoln "T" equivalents) are tested and certified using premium fuel, so they actually provide the maximum advertised HP/torque using premium fuel. 

So technically, based on the advertised power outputs as the benchmark, we don't see more power using premium, we actually see dialed back/less power if we use regular/mid-grade fuels. And this has been the case since the EcoBoost engines were introduced.

As an example: My 2018 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD is rated (by Lincoln/Ford) at 400hp/400lb-ft torque. That rating is achieved by using premium, 93 octane fuel. If I use 91 or 89 octane mid-grades, or 87 octane regular, then hp/tq will drop by corresponding amounts...up to ~10% (according to Lincoln/Ford).

Hope this is not too confusing.

Good luck.

FYI,

TOW was still working  at Ford (trans programming?)when EB was introduced,

he still  has many contacts in powertrain and engine development sections…

29 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

FYI,

Hi jpd. I understand what you are saying. However, the information I provided in that reply is correct and easily researched. Ford's EcoBoost engines (and now Lincoln's "T" equivalents) have been able to utilize the anti-detonation benefits of premium fuels since introduction. They provide their peak advertised outputs (and EPA fuel mileage ratings) using 93 octane premium fuel during testing, etc., etc.

And lower octane/regular fuels will result in peak HP/Torque outputs lower than the advertised peak outputs, as in the example I gave with the 3.0T engine in the AWD Lincoln MKZ (and Continental) etc.

Being able to utilize the benefits of premium octane fuels is not something new to the current EcoBoost engines or new for the Bronco. It has been the case since introduction. And has been stated so by Ford from the beginning.

I hope that makes my previous reply more understandable. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

2 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi jpd. I understand what you are saying. However, the information I provided in that reply is correct and easily researched. Ford's EcoBoost engines (and now Lincoln's "T" equivalents) have been able to utilize the anti-detonation benefits of premium fuels since introduction. They provide their peak advertised outputs (and EPA fuel mileage ratings) using 93 octane premium fuel during testing, etc., etc.

And lower octane/regular fuels will result in peak HP/Torque outputs lower than the advertised peak outputs, as in the example I gave with the 3.0T engine in the AWD Lincoln MKZ (and Continental) etc.

Being able to utilize the benefits of premium octane fuels is not something new to the current EcoBoost engines or new for the Bronco. It has been the case since introduction. And has been stated so by Ford from the beginning.

I hope that makes my previous reply more understandable. Good luck.

And what he is saying is that the EBs will get an even bigger power increase when using Premium than they currently do. Ford is finally adding an even more aggressive 93 tune so look for that max hp and torque to increase,

especially the 2.7 EB (could be 380 hp or more)

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

And what he is saying is that the EBs will get an even bigger power increase when using Premium than they currently do. Ford is finally adding an even more aggressive 93 tune so look for that max hp and torque to increase,

especially the 2.7 EB (could be 380 hp or more)

Hi jpd. No...what he said was "I just read that the 2 EcoBoost engines offered in the Bronco will take advantage of Premium fuel and produce more horsepower !" And that is not the same as what you are saying he is saying.

And what I stated was the EcoBoost engines already take advantage of premium fuel and have since they were introduced. The EcoBoost engines (and their Lincoln "T" cousins) already dial up or back engine parameters and power output according to the fuel octane in the tank. That is 100% true.

Power increases in an engine family over time are normal. The minimum power output using regular/87 octane will also see a corresponding increase. This happens with engine families all the time. This is not a premium fuel only thing.

Again, this is all easily researched information.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

5 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi jpd. No...what he said was "I just read that the 2 EcoBoost engines offered in the Bronco will take advantage of Premium fuel and produce more horsepower !" And that is not the same as what you are saying he is saying 

OK got it.

I am a bit surprised that it’s taken Ford this long to jack up the 2.3 and 2.7’s horsepower on premium,

aftermarket tunes are getting 80 hp/80 lbft with relative ease, Ford also offering mountune in some

application so fingers crossed, Bronco power increase is reality.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 3:02 AM, jpd80 said:

OK got it.

I am a bit surprised that it’s taken Ford this long to jack up the 2.3 and 2.7’s horsepower on premium,

aftermarket tunes are getting 80 hp/80 lbft with relative ease, Ford also offering mountune in some

application so fingers crossed, Bronco power increase is reality.

The aftermarket tuners aren't paying for warranty claims.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

Mountune for one doesn't void the factory warranty...neither does the Ford Performance tune for the 2.3 in the Ranger....which leads me to question if the Ranger tune could be applied to the Bronco...

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

Bingo! It’s risky that’s for sure. When you are on boards/forums and then you see the results of a tunes gone bad go BOOM! I’ve seen it on Mustangs, Escapes, Fusions, Focus.

You just never know what engine protection was written in that stock tune… until you take it away.

Edited by jcartwright99

52 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Mountune for one doesn't void the factory warranty...neither does the Ford Performance tune for the 2.3 in the Ranger....which leads me to question if the Ranger tune could be applied to the Bronco...

I don’t know about the Mountune tune, but the Ford Performance tune comes with its own warranty and it’s only for 3 yrs or 36,000 miles.  If you have the FP tune and go boom at 40,000 miles from a tune-related issue, you aren’t covered. 

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

Ford Performance tunes for both powertrains (which don't void the warranty) were listed in the accessories catalog for Bronco.  They usually don't get as much power as aftermarket ones, but there's the tradeoff of still having the warranty.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I don’t know about the Mountune tune, but the Ford Performance tune comes with its own warranty and it’s only for 3 yrs or 36,000 miles.  If you have the FP tune and go boom at 40,000 miles from a tune-related issue, you aren’t covered. 

as far as I know its doesn't void the factory powertrain warranty of 5 yrs 60, could be wrong, but the factory backed tunes are by no means extreme.... So far my ST Fiesta with the Mountune has been fault free, and Im at 95k and have had ZERO issues with the car as a whole, tune or no tune...and the cars a HOOT.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Regardless of that, Ford’s tunes are very soft and safe, so I’m thinking that the Bronco 2.3 could be around 310-320 HP, a tune they already have elsewhere and the 2.7 could easily become say, 360-380 HP and be more of threat to the competition.

Im a little surprised that Ford didn’t use the 3.0 EB in two tune levels……

Edited by jpd80

27 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

the 2.7 could easily become say, 360-380 HP and be more of threat to the competition

More of a threat to what competition?  330hp/415 lb-ft of torque isn’t enough in a stock Bronco?  I suppose if customers are concerned with 0-60 times, they can go buy a V8 Jeep.  

36 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Regardless of that, Ford’s tunes are very soft and safe, so I’m thinking that the Bronco 2.3 could be around 310-320 HP, a tune they already have elsewhere and the 2.7 could easily become say, 360-380 HP and be more of threat to the competition.

Im a little surprised that Ford didn’t use the 3.0 EB in two tune levels……

I agree with you that they are safe.  I've tuned every Ford I've had with a turbo and have never had issues with them.  However, every time Ford has increased power, they have increased the strength of some of the internals or transmissions.  So with that, I wonder why they go through the whole "powertrain upgrade" just to squeeze out a little more power (less than what tuners are doing).

Has to be things we just don't know about.

6 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

More of a threat to what competition?  330hp/415 lb-ft of torque isn’t enough in a stock Bronco?  I suppose if customers are concerned with 0-60 times, they can go buy a V8 Jeep.  

Or how about a EB 2.7 that makes so much power and torque that buyers don’t need to go buy a V8 Jeep?

6 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

I agree with you that they are safe.  I've tuned every Ford I've had with a turbo and have never had issues with them.  However, every time Ford has increased power, they have increased the strength of some of the internals or transmissions.  So with that, I wonder why they go through the whole "powertrain upgrade" just to squeeze out a little more power (less than what tuners are doing).

Has to be things we just don't know about.

I tend to think a lot of it has to do with the perception of continual improvement.

I often think of the differences in advertised power/torque between the 3.0 EB and the 2.7 EB,

while the torque is reasonably close, there’s a marked and deliberate difference of roughly 80 HP.

On 6/29/2021 at 4:43 PM, jpd80 said:

FYI,

When I retired I was back in Dearborn on the engine side.

I have been retired for over 10 years, so fewer and fewer contacts.

• Like 2