2009 FEH Limited A/C Defogger issue, engine drops into EV prematurely

Something new recently started to happen around the time we replaced our 12v battery.  We are used to the engine going to EV mode with the A/C on, when not in econ mode, when the passenger compartment gets to the set temp.  And the A/C has always blown 5-7deg's warmer while in EV mode.  (Possibly the scroll valve issue I just saw in a thread on Escape City?)  Could never convince multiple dealership techs that we thought there was something wrong there.  But since we got our Escape back in October 2008, it has never gone from engine to EV mode while the defogger is blowing (Unless in Econ mode? We used it so little I really can't remember if it did).

Now, with the A/C, and Econ mode off, our Escape goes into EV mode without getting anywhere near the set temperature, and does the same thing while the defogger is on.  I pulled the DTC codes and there was nothing, except the right outboard parking assist sensor that I still need to get around to replacing.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike & Michelle
TwoLostMinds