Why Lincoln doesn’t need a Bronco

9 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

You are forgetting CA, FL, and NY. BEVs are big sellers in these 3 big states with over 80 million population combined. Here in FL, Tesla is a common sight along with hybrids. And batteries are always getting better. Smaller and more powerful. The battery in my hybrid is the size of a brief case and easily fits under rear seat meaning little loss of cargo volume. And the hp on my hybrid is greater than base Escape turbo and smoother to boot with almost twice the fuel economy. Maverick is starting movement of base engine being hybrid.

I didn’t say that all EVs are bad. Hybrids work Just not a good business model for an entire brand (Lincoln) to be 100% electric. If you want one, buy one. The technology is still flawed after many years of development. Still very expensive and take a long time to charge (3-16 hours). If I drive across the country in a regular car, I stop about every 400 miles for gas and fill my tank in 5 minutes. For an electric vehicle, only the best models allow you to reach 400 miles and then you have to sit at a charging station charging for 3 hours (level 2) or even 16 hours (level 1) to fill up. Last,  how much was the government rebate for EVs right now to make them semi-purchaseable? $7,500, and that doesn’t include the expensive cost of charging stations. If you want a vehicle to only drive back and forth to work, then an EV may be a good fit. Hybrids work as a good alternative, but I still like gas better. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

The point is, if the grid can’t handle electrical demand with basically 0% electric cars, what will keep it from collapsing when electric cars are a significant % of the national fleet?

Exactly, thank you! 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

The point is, if the grid can’t handle electrical demand with basically 0% electric cars, what will keep it from collapsing when electric cars are a significant % of the national fleet?

If I had a Nickle every time someone parrot this fake news talking point, I'd have enough money to buy a Tesla.

The grid is fine. I work in the energy sector... it's our job to know if the grid is going to collapse and news flash: it is not

This is the same as asking what happens to the sewer system if everyone in the city flash the toilet at the same time. First, it is not a real problem. Second, the grid doesn't work like the way you think it does... just because you plug in a bunch of EV, it doesn't overwhelm the grid. There is redundancy everywhere and we are building more storage capacity all the time. Third, the vast majority of EV do and will charge off peak. Fourth, the increase in EV is going to be graduate on a grid scale; we are not increasing throughput by 30% today or tomorrow. A few % increase in off peak draw is nothing to worry about. And lastly, we've done this before, many times. You should see the hand wringing from people back when prediction for adoption curve of refrigerators and air conditioning showed the grid is going to collapse. Nothing like that happened. Nothing like that ever happens because smart people are doing their job instead of spewing nonsense on cable new channel and fake news websites that are dedicated to ignore science and ridicule smart people.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

Off topic posts and borderline personal attacks have been removed.   Let’s try to stay on topic.

I would like to let it be known that this went off topic because bzcat called a response a fake news talking point. So maybe you should have deleted that post. 

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

If I had a Nickle every time someone parrot this fake news talking point, I'd have enough money to buy a Tesla.

The grid is fine. I work in the energy sector... it's our job to know if the grid is going to collapse and news flash: it is not

This is the same as asking what happens to the sewer system if everyone in the city flash the toilet at the same time. First, it is not a real problem. Second, the grid doesn't work like the way you think it does... just because you plug in a bunch of EV, it doesn't overwhelm the grid. There is redundancy everywhere and we are building more storage capacity all the time. Third, the vast majority of EV do and will charge off peak. Fourth, the increase in EV is going to be graduate on a grid scale; we are not increasing throughput by 30% today or tomorrow. A few % increase in off peak draw is nothing to worry about. And lastly, we've done this before, many times. You should see the hand wringing from people back when prediction for adoption curve of refrigerators and air conditioning showed the grid is going to collapse. Nothing like that happened. Nothing like that ever happens because smart people are doing their job instead of spewing nonsense on cable new channel and fake news websites that are dedicated to ignore science and ridicule smart people.

Apparently, not a fake news talking point as bzcat suggested. The power grid has more powers outages more frequently than in years past. So I believe looking at EV’s this needs to be taken into account. 

https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/comparison-of-major-grid-failures-in-united-states-and-around-the-world-part-1

13 minutes ago, Interstate said:

I would like to let it be known that this went off topic because bzcat called a response a fake news talking point. So maybe you should have deleted that post. 

He said that about folks saying the grid can’t handle EV charging was fake news and since he works in the energy sector he has the right to say that.

Maybe you should leave the moderating to the moderators.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Interstate said:

Apparently, not a fake news talking point as bzcat suggested. The power grid has more powers outages more frequently than in years past. So I believe looking at EV’s this needs to be taken into account. 

https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/comparison-of-major-grid-failures-in-united-states-and-around-the-world-part-1

I’ll leave this here even though it doesn’t address the issue that be at was discussing,

And with that we’ll close the electrical infrastructure discussion as it’s off topic.

5 hours ago, MadManMoon said:

I wonder if Lincoln could emulate the Maverick strategy - base model as a hybrid, the GT as the PHEV, and a BEV as the top-end trim.  That way at least the entire Lincoln lineup would be at least partially electrified.

I don't see that being a bad route.  Just depends on how all in EV wise they want to go.

14 hours ago, MadManMoon said:

I wonder if Lincoln could emulate the Maverick strategy - base model as a hybrid, the GT as the PHEV, and a BEV as the top-end trim.  That way at least the entire Lincoln lineup would be at least partially electrified.

That's a good suggestion for the short term MadManMoon sir. The hybrid powertrains could help the Lincoln brand with regulatory requirements for the next few years in its main markets of North America and China, and combined with the addition of BEV models to the lineup go well with Lincoln's "Quiet Flight" theme.

By 2030 when Lincoln fully transitions to BEV only, it should be in a good position with its own flavor of "American luxury" in a market where startup companies as well as incumbent automakers all over the world will have scores of BEV luxury car models available.

5 hours ago, Blue Sasquatch said:

How are we going to add all of our vehicles to an electric grid that struggles under its current load?

This is the same as asking what happens to the sewer system if everyone in the city flash the toilet at the same time. First, it is not a real problem. Second, the grid doesn't work like the way you think it does... just because you plug in a bunch of EV, it doesn't overwhelm the grid. There is redundancy everywhere and we are building more storage capacity all the time. Third, the vast majority of EV do and will charge off peak. Fourth, the increase in EV is going to be graduate on a grid scale; we are not increasing throughput by 30% today or tomorrow. A few % increase in off peak draw is nothing to worry about. And lastly, we've done this before, many times. You should see the hand wringing from people back when prediction for adoption curve of refrigerators and air conditioning showed the grid is going to collapse.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blue Sasquatch said:

I just signed up yesterday. 

Is this thread indicative of how discourse works around here?

The mods editorialize for one side here?

Moderators are allowed to have their own option. You better be able to backup your posts information/facts and not "common sense". Just because you feel a certain way doesn't mean your right.

Calling out moderators is not good course of action and will draw attention to yourself.

Your additional comments where off topic after it was already stated that any off topic discussion (this about Lincoln not needing a Bronco, not the the electrical grid) would be moderated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ByeThisPlaceSucks said:

The mods editorialize for one side here?

For the record:

Mods are regular members who help out with spam, keeping topics on track and preventing personal attacks.  We have opinions like everyone else.  We do not discriminate against opposing viewpoints.  Only off topic posts, spam and personal attacks are deleted.

The question was asked and answered and was off topic for this thread therefore further discussion was not warranted. If anyone would like to continue that discussion simply create a new topic for that specific question, stay on topic and don’t hurl insults at each other.

• Like 3