Ford June 2021 Sales

Unfinished products-sitting for months in uncovered storage with record heat-

What could this possibly cause long term? 

Dash warpage?

Paint Issues?

Tire Dry Rot?

Upholstery issues?

I am looking at a NEW F-150 down the road. Can anyone project how long the existing inventory sitting out there, soon to be completed with chips - will it take dealers to go through the inventory?

I don't want one of these units.

Has Ford ever come up with a fix for the rusty trucks coming out of Michigan?

On 7/2/2021 at 12:42 PM, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, the bright side is the Freep article says Ford just got a big shipment of chips and will now clear out a lot of  F150s which will be shipped this month. The priority will be those vehicles already built and parked for weeks. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  On May 12, I received an email from "Ford Executive Office" stating that retail orders would be prioritized over dealer stock orders and they would not bypass build orders for completion over the orders coming on the assembly line.  When I called and spoke to the rep for clarification, I was told that that meant they would complete the built trucks and the ones on the line would be built without chips.

11 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Dash warpage?

Paint Issues?

Tire Dry Rot?

Upholstery issues?

I am looking at a NEW F-150 down the road. Can anyone project how long the existing inventory sitting out there, soon to be completed with chips - will it take dealers to go through the inventory?

Has Ford ever come up with a fix for the rusty trucks coming out of Michigan?

No room in my garage, so I park my 1994 F-150 outside.  In its 27 year life, it's seen 90+ degree temperatures and temps colder than 30 below.  No dash warpage, no upholstery issues. but, yes, the paint has faded.  

Vehicles are designed for extreme conditions.  Prior to Covid, it was normal for a dealer to stock up to 2-3 months of vehicles on their lot.  No difference from what is happening now.

20 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

No room in my garage, so I park my 1994 F-150 outside.  In its 27 year life, it's seen 90+ degree temperatures and temps colder than 30 below.  No dash warpage, no upholstery issues. but, yes, the paint has faded.  

Vehicles are designed for extreme conditions.  Prior to Covid, it was normal for a dealer to stock up to 2-3 months of vehicles on their lot.  No difference from what is happening now.

Plus it's not a GM product, a lot of which are notorious for a lot of those issues. 

12 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Dash warpage?

Paint Issues?

Tire Dry Rot?

Upholstery issues?

Shouldn't it be fairly easy to identify those units by looking at the date code on the window sticker?

Of course, maybe they could re-window sticker them, to take advantage of the mid-year price increases?

HRG

f150 date code.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Of course, maybe they could re-window sticker them, to take advantage of the mid-year price increases?

I don't think legally they can re-write a window sticker like that. And to do it to take advantage of mid-year price increases is a shitty thing to do to customers. 

12 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Dash warpage?

Paint Issues?

Tire Dry Rot?

Upholstery issues?

It’s no different than sitting on a dealers lot for a couple of months or sitting in your driveway.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't think legally they can re-write a window sticker like that. And to do it to take advantage of mid-year price increases is a shitty thing to do to customers. 

Certainly they should not/cannot re-price retail order vehicles, but there are those that would applaud the greater profitability of "stock" units.

HRG

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Huh? It's the same price whether it's ordered as stock or a retail order. 

Currently, yes.  A creative approach could re-set pricing on non-sold/non-retail orders up until that unit is made available for sale.  Not much different than how most consumer products are sold, the price is adjusted per market demands.  Buy a 2x4 in the last few months?

HRG

2 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Currently, yes.  A creative approach could re-set pricing on non-sold/non-retail orders up until that unit is made available for sale.  Not much different than how most consumer products are sold, the price is adjusted per market demands.  Buy a 2x4 in the last few months?

HRG

Or, keep it simple by using original MSRP and sell at slightly lower price than newer builds.

All of those units will be shipped to dealerships and completed there, all while inventory is still tight.

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Agree it is a shitty thing to do, but car companies can definitely re-issue window sticker as long as VIN and production dates are not changed. The reason they don't do it in every case is just simply an issue of logistic... too difficult to make sure new window stickers get to the car once they are already on dealer lots. But if the car is still awaiting shipment at factory, it is not that difficult to re-issue the window sticker.

21 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Why is that exactly?

The quote got disconnected to yours, but was pointing out that since Toyota has multiple factories churning out Tacomas for NA, it would be hard for Ford to meet its production volume. 

But with the extra options, Raptor, and regular cab, Ford should be able to take a larger share. 

54 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

The quote got disconnected to yours, but was pointing out that since Toyota has multiple factories churning out Tacomas for NA, it would be hard for Ford to meet its production volume. 

Toyota only has only a single factory for Tacoma’s in the U.S. market in Mexico. Toyota moved production from Texas to free up room for the new Tundra. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/393859/toyota-tacoma-production-moving-mexico/

On 7/3/2021 at 10:45 PM, jpd80 said:
On 7/3/2021 at 9:00 PM, ausrutherford said:

That and the Tacoma is built at multiple factories. 

On 7/3/2021 at 10:45 PM, jpd80 said:

Why is that exactly?

Toyota must have been wondering that, too! Tacoma production at San Antonio (TMMTX) will end this year. Tijuana (TMMBC) will produce all Tacomas for this market.

edit: Jumped the gun and posted before scrolling down. I wan't trying to pile on.

Edited by Chrisgb
clarification
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Toyota only has only a single factory for Tacoma’s in the U.S. market in Mexico. Toyota moved production from Texas to free up room for the new Tundra. 

https://www.motor1.com/news/393859/toyota-tacoma-production-moving-mexico/

Was not aware they were consolidating production to just Mexico. That may help Ranger as well. 

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Was not aware they were consolidating production to just Mexico. That may help Ranger as well. 

I don’t see how if Tacoma is the only product built at the Mexican plant, there’s no “Bronco” to limit builds. Bottom line is that  sales of Ranger will be more capacity limited now that Bronco is up and running, that’s something Ford can’t change easily.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

They think they can keep one plant busy with the Tundra?!

Yeah, Tundra was moved in with Tacoma because it couldn’t support its

original plant, Princeton. Tundra’s biggest problem is that it’s fifth best seller  

behind four more popular trucks, it’s hard to impossible  to ever change that.

Edited by jpd80

On 7/2/2021 at 12:19 PM, FordBuyer said:

GM sales up 40% year over year and Ford sales down almost 30% year over year. Hyundai sales up over 60 %. So yeah, Ford has been skewered by the chip shortage. And July will be worse and August no better. It doesn't look like Ford has the chips to build much of anything. Someone should be fired over this fiasco.....much worse than botched Explorer launch.

I would have to say, with GM and Hyundai posting such gains, they obviously don't have a chip issue-to the degree Ford does.

I  would have  thought Ford would have some sort of policy about outsourcing components to what amounts to  a sole source.  Sort of a repeat of the tornado related lost production from Dana (?) axles?  Or was it transfer cases???   Same issue.

39 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

I would have to say, with GM and Hyundai posting such gains, they obviously don't have a chip issue-to the degree Ford does.

I  would have  thought Ford would have some sort of policy about outsourcing components to what amounts to  a sole source.  Sort of a repeat of the tornado related lost production from Dana (?) axles?  Or was it transfer cases???   Same issue.

That wasn’t Ford’s only supplier as far as I know and both the local Jeep and Chevy dealers have less than 10 new vehicles on the lot.  You’ll see the others drop a lot next month.