2017 super duty chicken lights

If this has been asked somewhere else within the forum, I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. My 17 lariat came with the amber chicken lights on the roof from the factory and I'm wanting to change them to another color and I'm having problems deciding on what I want. Does anyone have any pictures of your chicken lights with a different color and if so, what brand are they?  Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, memphiscbrider said:

If this has been asked somewhere else within the forum, I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. My 17 lariat came with the amber chicken lights on the roof from the factory and I'm wanting to change them to another color and I'm having problems deciding on what I want. Does anyone have any pictures of your chicken lights with a different color and if so, what brand are they?  Thanks in advance

Aren't forward facing clearance lights required by law to be amber colored, and rear facing red?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know to the original poster this is not the case but I'm writing this to anybody else contemplating adding them or not.

I think adding them on to any 350 would be a good call. When I've sold heavy trucks in the past not having them seemed to turn some buyers away. I don't think any of the guys buying my trucks really needed them I think they just wanted them.

But I have never heard anybody say" man, I really like this truck but I really wish it didn't have those lights up top"

Guys that buy big trucks like lights, doesn't matter what kind of lights or where they are as long as they are good quality, we just like lights and lots of them.?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Mirage Flatter said:

What's up with the whole "chicken lights" thing?  Roosting on top of the cab or what?

A quick google search got me this:    I had not know what they were, or why the were called this.  

One legend says that the truckers in the 1920s, driving slow trucks on then-dark streets, were often the victims of thieves as they moved loads of chickens through small towns. To help stop this problem, truckers started putting lanterns around their cargo – thus the name, Chicken Lights

Those strings of amber lights on 18-wheelers are known as chicken lights. But why? Although the term's origin is unclear, a participant in a discussion forum of the American Historical Truck Society suggests they may have been originally associated with trucks hauling Frank Perdue chickens.

Edited by mitch8628
  • Thanks 1

I ordered them on my new truck and will leave them amber as designed. I have seen people change the bulb color, which works pretty well with the clear/smoked covers they use now. Figure out the bulb style and I bet you can find any color you want on the interweb. Colored LED's are a super popular modification in general. Whether or not this will garner you actual negative attention from law enforcement is clearly up for debate. On your personal vehicle I bet in most places you never get confronted. The lights are not exactly super bright and distracting and I think you keep the originals if it does become a problem you can swap them back.