RECONSIDERING ANOTHER AVIATOR…AM I CRAZY??!!

Amyz

I’m probably the only person that had back to back 2020 Aviators that were lemons. Working with Lincoln concierge and the dealership, we were able to get a full refund and walk away (see my posts last year). 
Despite the quality issues with the Aviator, I absolutely loved the look, the drive, the comfort (30 way seats),  and all the amenities. It was the perfect 3 row SUV  for our needs - not too big and not too small.

I ended up getting a 2020 MB GLE 350.  Unbeknownst to me, there was a known class action suit involving this model and many other MB models. The suit involved mold/mildew in the AC unit, resulting in a foul smell when the AC is turned on . Of course the dealer didn’t inform me of this. The odor is bad enough that I don’t want the vehicle any more! I seem to have great luck trying to get into a new vehicle!

So now I am at the point wondering if I wait to order a 2022 Aviator, maybe most of the kinks (roof leaks, rear camera, electrical issues in dash, etc will have been worked out 2  years later?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about taking the Aviator plunge again?  Are there still a lot of quality issues?  I don’t see too many comments on the 2021 problems.  Also, when will the 2022s be out? 

• Like 1

Welcome back Amyz.  Sorry to hear about your issues with the MB.  Your correct about all the wonderful features of the Aviator and if you give Lincoln another chance i hope your completely satisfied with the third one.  

I took a look at an Aviator just after it arrived at my local dealership while i was having the seat harness recall done on my Nautilus.   The fit and finish of the body panels on the 21 Aviator was perfect.  Wishing you the best.

• Like 1

I understand why you want to give the Aviator another chance... it's an awesome vehicle in form, function, luxury and performance!  Our 2020 GT was an early December 2019 build with prefect fit and finish and no issues so far.  I just received a recall letter for the rear camera firmware update, but I haven't experienced the camera glitch yet.  Go for it!!!

Edited by CoolScoop

For what it's worth, our 2021 Aviator Reserve has been flawless so far.  Reading all the complaints about the 2020 Aviators had us a little apprehensive, but they seem to have corrected the quality issues for 2021.  Ours was built the second week in January '21 about the time manufacturers were running out of chips.  Maybe that caused them to slow down production somewhat and not rush assembly.  Whatever reason, we're happy with it and it is treating us real well.  Also, our daughter bought a late build 2020 Explorer ST and she has had no issues either, so maybe things are looking up in Chicago Auto Plant.

Nope!  I wouldn't get another Aviator until all the known issues have been addressed.  I still love the look.  It is not worthy of the price tag.  A car of that level should not have so many panel alignment issues as well as other fit & finish challenges.  Even the Ford cousin doesn't have the fit/finish issues that the Aviator has struggled with.  I went with a new Navigator.  They seem to have that one figured out.

If you don’t need the third row, the GLE is a far better vehicle in so many ways. I replaced my rattletrap Aviator with a factory order GLE 450,  well equipped, that took two months less to receive than the Aviator, even in these times!

Features, build quality and fit and finish are no comparison. The lift gate softly clicks into place, not clunks loudly into place. Foot activation works every time. Every stalk, button and switch just feels high quality. Super configurable dash, lane centering you don’t need to fight with and ambient light you can actually see. Not to mention better fuel mileage. 

Aviator still the better looking vehicle from the outside, though, hands down. 

8 hours ago, Professor1234 said:

If you don’t need the third row, the GLE is a far better vehicle in so many ways. I replaced my rattletrap Aviator with a factory order GLE 450,  well equipped, that took two months less to receive than the Aviator, even in these times!

Features, build quality and fit and finish are no comparison. The lift gate softly clicks into place, not clunks loudly into place. Foot activation works every time. Every stalk, button and switch just feels high quality. Super configurable dash, lane centering you don’t need to fight with and ambient light you can actually see. Not to mention better fuel mileage. 

Aviator still the better looking vehicle from the outside, though, hands down. 

Well, personally I liked the ride of the Aviator over the MB GLE…in addition, you’re lucky if you don’t have the mold issue in your AC, as it isn’t pleasant!!

(by the way, we do have a third row in the GLE- for little kids)

16 hours ago, Amyz said:

Well, personally I liked the ride of the Aviator over the MB GLE…in addition, you’re lucky if you don’t have the mold issue in your AC, as it isn’t pleasant!!

(by the way, we do have a third row in the GLE- for little kids)

Good luck with your third Aviator…

I was pretty pissed off a few months ago and got an attorney and started a Lemon Law Case, mine still has a lot of problems, but I am going to miss it.  So far, it has not stranded me anywhere again, and you are right. The design is much nicer than MB.  I just ordered an F150 Full hybrid to replace my 2020 Aviator not cause I have a particular love of pickups but because of the gas mileage believe it or not.  Be warned tho when I was at the dealer ordering my F150, a customer who was sitting with me was getting his 3 weeks old 2021 Explorer ST bought back because of major issues.  I can see why you want another one. Just good luck. I guess it is kind of a gamble at this point if you get a good one or not!

On 7/4/2021 at 11:22 PM, Amyz said:

I’m probably the only person that had back to back 2020 Aviators that were lemons. Working with Lincoln concierge and the dealership, we were able to get a full refund and walk away (see my posts last year). 
Despite the quality issues with the Aviator, I absolutely loved the look, the drive, the comfort (30 way seats),  and all the amenities. It was the perfect 3 row SUV  for our needs - not too big and not too small.

I ended up getting a 2020 MB GLE 350.  Unbeknownst to me, there was a known class action suit involving this model and many other MB models. The suit involved mold/mildew in the AC unit, resulting in a foul smell when the AC is turned on . Of course the dealer didn’t inform me of this. The odor is bad enough that I don’t want the vehicle any more! I seem to have great luck trying to get into a new vehicle!

So now I am at the point wondering if I wait to order a 2022 Aviator, maybe most of the kinks (roof leaks, rear camera, electrical issues in dash, etc will have been worked out 2  years later?

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice about taking the Aviator plunge again?  Are there still a lot of quality issues?  I don’t see too many comments on the 2021 problems.  Also, when will the 2022s be out? 

Hopefully, you don't have to drive clients around in it, lol..  Stay away from German products I know they are all the rage and get all the riches fired up when they see one.  You are better off with Lexus if you buy another import, way better quality, German and British stuff is expensive garbage!

• Like 1

My aviator will be one and done.  I have the GT and prior to that I was Audi, Mercedes and BMW and the comparison after a year is the German's build better cars period.   The amount of software glitches from my screen just randomly shutting off to car play saying I am still in my garage and I'm driving 20 miles away to the rear sensors about crippling me backing out of my garage to my mirror folding deciding to just stop working, etc is not anywhere near acceptable for a vehicle that was almost 90k.   None of my germans cars cost that much and not one of them ever required trips to the dealer other than the scheduled service.   That list encompasses Benz C280, C320, E350, E350, BMW 325, Audi S6 and Audi SQ5.   Making multiple trips to the dealer because it has a warranty is totally inconvenient and ends up with your car being there the whole day or longer.   The tech that is in the vehicle is impressive but needs to be perfected so the user is not a beta tester.  This isn't a 35k or 40k Ford its almost a 90k Lincoln and there should be a quality difference and execution should be flawless.   Having said that I will ride this out for 10 years(assuming reliability is there) as I purchased it, have the extended warranty and the depreciation would kill any trade in.  My next car will be back to the German's, as my kids countryballs meme says, America-maker of inferior cars.  True we still don't stack up in the luxury market in the execution arena.    

On 7/15/2021 at 8:53 AM, Wolfepack88 said:

My aviator will be one and done.  I have the GT and prior to that I was Audi, Mercedes and BMW and the comparison after a year is the German's build better cars period.   The amount of software glitches from my screen just randomly shutting off to car play saying I am still in my garage and I'm driving 20 miles away to the rear sensors about crippling me backing out of my garage to my mirror folding deciding to just stop working, etc is not anywhere near acceptable for a vehicle that was almost 90k.   None of my germans cars cost that much and not one of them ever required trips to the dealer other than the scheduled service.   That list encompasses Benz C280, C320, E350, E350, BMW 325, Audi S6 and Audi SQ5.   Making multiple trips to the dealer because it has a warranty is totally inconvenient and ends up with your car being there the whole day or longer.   The tech that is in the vehicle is impressive but needs to be perfected so the user is not a beta tester.  This isn't a 35k or 40k Ford its almost a 90k Lincoln and there should be a quality difference and execution should be flawless.   Having said that I will ride this out for 10 years(assuming reliability is there) as I purchased it, have the extended warranty and the depreciation would kill any trade in.  My next car will be back to the German's, as my kids countryballs meme says, America-maker of inferior cars.  True we still don't stack up in the luxury market in the execution arena.    

Wolfepack88- just curious, with all the issues you have had, did you look into the lemon law?  It's such a shame that this vehicle has so many glitches, because it has such awesome potential. The more I read the current blogs about continuing  issues, the more I am getting cold feet about trying a third Aviator!  Besides, it sounds like it will be a 6-12 month wait for a 2022.  Good luck with yours.

On 7/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, Amyz said:

Wolfepack88- just curious, with all the issues you have had, did you look into the lemon law?  It's such a shame that this vehicle has so many glitches, because it has such awesome potential. The more I read the current blogs about continuing  issues, the more I am getting cold feet about trying a third Aviator!  Besides, it sounds like it will be a 6-12 month wait for a 2022.  Good luck with yours.

No, its just annoying things that show me the attention to detail on the tech side just isn't there.  Nowhere near lemon law levels in my opinion.  The day after I wrote my post they announced another recall for a ton of Fords, including the Aviator.  The vehicle rides nice but today again I had to unplug and replug my iphone in numerous times to get waze to recognize we were driving and not still at my house and my cell service was LTE with full bars so not a service issue.  Its the handshake between the two devices.  So unless it gets worse I will deal with the little annoyances and when the next service is due rattle them off to the dealer.  I just think Lincoln, if they want to compete with Benz, BMW and Audi need to up their game and strive for perfection, because when you chase perfection you can catch excellence.   Good enough should never be the goal!   Lastly rolling out the vehicle in the Chicago assembly plant was not a great idea.  Everyone will say they had to retool the plant, etc, etc.  Then don't roll out the car on that line until it is almost six sigma perfect.  

I’ve read numerous times that most of the issues stem from the Chicago plant (e.g. roof leak on my first lemon aviator, as well as others). Then they send the lemons to Detroit to get repaired properly.  Are there issues from other plants or are they all produced in Chicago?

50 minutes ago, Amyz said:

I’ve read numerous times that most of the issues stem from the Chicago plant (e.g. roof leak on my first lemon aviator, as well as others). Then they send the lemons to Detroit to get repaired properly.  Are there issues from other plants or are they all produced in Chicago?

Aviators and Explorers are built exclusively at the Chicago plant.  I don’t think they’re still sending units out to be repaired - that was an initial launch issue.  

• 3 months later...