Length of charging cord for Corsair Grand Touring

On 7/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, CoolScoop said:

It probably includes the same dual voltage charging cord kit that comes with the Aviator Grand Touring.  If so, mine is 20 ft long.

My dealer finally confirmed it is 20 feet. 

I curious if you decided to have a level 2 charger installed.  I was set on having one installed as I have some features in my home that would reduce the cost of the electrical wiring.  I've done quite a bit of research in the past week on charging.  From what I have read so far the faster you charge your vehicle there can be more degradation to the battery.  

4 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

My dealer finally confirmed it is 20 feet. 

I curious if you decided to have a level 2 charger installed.  I was set on having one installed as I have some features in my home that would reduce the cost of the electrical wiring.  I've done quite a bit of research in the past week on charging.  From what I have read so far the faster you charge your vehicle there can be more degradation to the battery.  

rampagex7 provided the following info in the 'Aviator GT Order' thread:

"The onboard charger on the Aviator is rated for about 3.7KW at Level 2 charging, so at 240V it will draw around 15A.  I've been plugging mine in daily for over a month and even with battery depleted to 0% the max charge current I've ever seen it go to was 15.6A.  (see screenshot below)  My JuiceBox charging station is connected to a 50A breaker and rated to supply up to 40A at 240V; however, the vehicle's on board AC/DC charging module that actually charges the battery can only handle a max 3.7KW so it will not draw more than 15-16A regardless of how much amperage is available.  If you are only charging your Aviator and nothing else you would be fine with 20A supply at 240V.

My 2019 Fusion Energi has the exact same 3.7KW rating because it only draws about 14.8 - 15.2A max when charging at Level 2 (240V).

As a side note for anyone that may not know, on PHEV's and pure Electric Cars the external portable Level 1 charger or Level 2 charging station or EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) as it is technically called, does not actually charge the car's battery at all because the EVSE is supplying 120 - 240 AC power and the battery needs to be charged with DC power.  All the EVSE does is negotiate with the car the amount of current to supply at the available voltage and then the car has an onboard charging module that converts the AC to DC voltage (at whatever DC voltage the battery pack requires) and based on the size of the onboard charging module built into the car it can only handle up to a certain KW rating.  Most PHEV's and BEV's have onboard AC/DC charging modules that can handle between 3 - 10KW from Level 1 or Level 2 AC charging stations.  I've heard that Teslas have much bigger onboard AC/DC charging modules that can handle 19KW or up 80A from a Level 2 (240V) charging station.  The only way to charge your car faster is with a DC fast charging station (Tesla supercharger, CCS, or Chademo) if the car supports DC fast charging.  DC fast charging bypasses the car's onboard AC/DC charging module and charges the high voltage battery pack directly.  That's why a DC fast charging station can charge the battery to 80% in like 15-20 minutes. 

Since the Aviator doesn't support DC charging the best you're gonna get is 15-16A at 240V which takes about 3.5 - 3.75 hours to fully charge the battery."

Therefore, if the Corsair GT has the same system as the Aviator GT it can't be charged any faster than the using the supplied charging cord at 240 volts.  So I installed a 20 amp 240 volt circuit instead of investing in a level 2 charger.  It charges a lot faster on 240 than on 120, but 120 comes in handy when 240 isn't available.  The charging cord comes in a zippered pouch that doesn't take up much space in the storage bin under the cargo floor.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

rampagex7 provided the following info in the 'Aviator GT Order' thread:

"The onboard charger on the Aviator is rated for about 3.7KW at Level 2 charging, so at 240V it will draw around 15A.  I've been plugging mine in daily for over a month and even with battery depleted to 0% the max charge current I've ever seen it go to was 15.6A.  (see screenshot below)  My JuiceBox charging station is connected to a 50A breaker and rated to supply up to 40A at 240V; however, the vehicle's on board AC/DC charging module that actually charges the battery can only handle a max 3.7KW so it will not draw more than 15-16A regardless of how much amperage is available.  If you are only charging your Aviator and nothing else you would be fine with 20A supply at 240V.

My 2019 Fusion Energi has the exact same 3.7KW rating because it only draws about 14.8 - 15.2A max when charging at Level 2 (240V).

As a side note for anyone that may not know, on PHEV's and pure Electric Cars the external portable Level 1 charger or Level 2 charging station or EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) as it is technically called, does not actually charge the car's battery at all because the EVSE is supplying 120 - 240 AC power and the battery needs to be charged with DC power.  All the EVSE does is negotiate with the car the amount of current to supply at the available voltage and then the car has an onboard charging module that converts the AC to DC voltage (at whatever DC voltage the battery pack requires) and based on the size of the onboard charging module built into the car it can only handle up to a certain KW rating.  Most PHEV's and BEV's have onboard AC/DC charging modules that can handle between 3 - 10KW from Level 1 or Level 2 AC charging stations.  I've heard that Teslas have much bigger onboard AC/DC charging modules that can handle 19KW or up 80A from a Level 2 (240V) charging station.  The only way to charge your car faster is with a DC fast charging station (Tesla supercharger, CCS, or Chademo) if the car supports DC fast charging.  DC fast charging bypasses the car's onboard AC/DC charging module and charges the high voltage battery pack directly.  That's why a DC fast charging station can charge the battery to 80% in like 15-20 minutes. 

Since the Aviator doesn't support DC charging the best you're gonna get is 15-16A at 240V which takes about 3.5 - 3.75 hours to fully charge the battery."

Therefore, if the Corsair GT has the same system as the Aviator GT it can't be charged any faster than the using the supplied charging cord at 240 volts.  So I installed a 20 amp 240 volt circuit instead of investing in a level 2 charger.  It charges a lot faster on 240 than on 120, but 120 comes in handy when 240 isn't available.  The charging cord comes in a zippered pouch that doesn't take up much space in the storage bin under the cargo floor.

I have a unique set up in my house.  There is a mudroom just inside the door from the house to the garage that has an optional laundry room.  There is a 240V 32A circuit about 2 feet from the garage wall.  I'm thinking if I find it necessary I can have the circuit upgraded to 40A or 50A and have an outlet installed in the garage wall at a much smaller cost than running an entirely new circuit.  I'm also trying to decide between Webasto (Ford's chosen supplier), Juicebox or Wallbox for a Level 2 charger.  Webasto has 16A or 32A chargers but only the 16A in stock.  I've read quite a few reviews from Juicebox stating they had to have 2 or even 3 chargers due to failure of connecting to WIFI.  I don't see these complaints with Wallbox and I kind of like the small profile of the charger itself.

Does anyone have their recommendations for Level 2 chargers?  At this point, I'm just shopping around.  I won't receive my Corsair for a few months as I just ordered it July 5 and the plant that produces it won't resume production until July 19 after a 2 month shutdown.

You won't need a level 2 charger until you get a full EV.  Your existing 240V 32A outlet and the Corsair GTs supplied charging cable will charge it just as fast as a level 2 charger since the onboard portion of the charging system is limited to accept around 16 amps max... even when using a level 2 charger.

Edited by CoolScoop

11 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

I have a unique set up in my house.  There is a mudroom just inside the door from the house to the garage that has an optional laundry room.  There is a 240V 32A circuit about 2 feet from the garage wall.  I'm thinking if I find it necessary I can have the circuit upgraded to 40A or 50A and have an outlet installed in the garage wall at a much smaller cost than running an entirely new circuit. 

RedHoncho,

Where are you located?  I ask because I've never heard of a 240V 32amp circuit in a residential application in the US, could you post a picture of the existing receptacle?  Is your home wired with Romex or conduit, if Romex, the existing wiring may not be sized to allow an upgrade to a higher amperage breaker & socket.

HRG

8 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

RedHoncho,

Where are you located?  I ask because I've never heard of a 240V 32amp circuit in a residential application in the US, could you post a picture of the existing receptacle?  Is your home wired with Romex or conduit, if Romex, the existing wiring may not be sized to allow an upgrade to a higher amperage breaker & socket.

HRG

I live in Ohio.  The circuit in question is for an electric dryer.  The house was constructed in 1997.  I've attached photos of the outlet and my breaker box.  The breaker is the first one on the upper left.  It is marked "32" on the switch so I am assuming this means 32A.  I'm  no electrician so I could very well be wrong.

image1.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Well Google says they do make 32 amp circuit breakers.  That’s a new one on me.

Me too!  The one on the left appears to be a Square-D QO load center, and sure enough, they offer a 32-amp 2-pole breaker for it.  Seeing all the Romex coming out of it, you might have to have a new line pulled if you want to get up into the 40 or 50amp range, but for the current on-board charger, you should be fine.

Your existing socket is a NEMA 14-30.    https://clippercreek.com/different-plug-types/

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Me too!  The one on the left appears to be a Square-D QO load center, and sure enough, they offer a 32-amp 2-pole breaker for it.  Seeing all the Romex coming out of it, you might have to have a new line pulled if you want to get up into the 40 or 50amp range, but for the current on-board charger, you should be fine.

HRG

Just as an aside....Romex was first developed at General Cable Co. in my home town of Rome NY. (hence the name Romex) Salute!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Just as an aside....Romex was first developed at General Cable Co. in my home town of Rome NY. (hence the name Romex) Salute!!

OK, so we appear to have several electrical smarter people than me.  The Wallbox charger I am considering would have a  draw of 16A up to 40A.  From my research I think that means I should have a 50A breaker if I want to achieve the maximum capacity of the charger.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pulsar-Level-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B08H2LYFHX/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=3BvdD&pf_rd_p=38316967-9a6c-4cf3-acd3-6269fd389669&pf_rd_r=MQDFSR1W6RVZ2PJ7B8R4&pd_rd_r=fb380dac-0d0e-4ef0-8946-759f28ad74ae&pd_rd_wg=Z03eC&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Does this mean I need to have a new line ran from the breaker box to the garage?  The current 32A outlet is about 2 feet inside the door to the garage.

13 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

OK, so we appear to have several electrical smarter people than me.  The Wallbox charger I am considering would have a  draw of 16A up to 40A.  From my research I think that means I should have a 50A breaker if I want to achieve the maximum capacity of the charger.

https://smile.amazon.com/Pulsar-Level-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B08H2LYFHX/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=3BvdD&pf_rd_p=38316967-9a6c-4cf3-acd3-6269fd389669&pf_rd_r=MQDFSR1W6RVZ2PJ7B8R4&pd_rd_r=fb380dac-0d0e-4ef0-8946-759f28ad74ae&pd_rd_wg=Z03eC&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

Does this mean I need to have a new line ran from the breaker box to the garage?  The current 32A outlet is about 2 feet inside the door to the garage.

Yes.  I'd expect that your current dryer socket is wired with #10 NM-B (Romex) cable, which is rated up to 30 amps.  In order to create a 50 amp circuit, a new line would need to be pulled from the breaker box to the garage,  probably using #6 cable.   https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/

HRG

ampacity chart.JPG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Yes.  I'd expect that your current dryer socket is wired with #10 NM-B (Romex) cable, which is rated up to 30 amps.  In order to create a 50 amp circuit, a new line would need to be pulled from the breaker box to the garage,  probably using #6 cable.   https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/

HRG

ampacity chart.JPG

Thanks for the info.  This will help me when I contact an electrician to do the work.  I got one quote online that was US$2000 and thought that was extreme.  Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't.

12 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Thanks for the info.  This will help me when I contact an electrician to do the work.  I got one quote online that was US$2000 and thought that was extreme.  Maybe it was and maybe it wasn't.

FWIW, 6/2 NM-B cable is about $3/ft.  Until you get an electrician on-site, so he can determine what he needs to do to pull the new line, it's just a guess.

HRG

20 hours ago, akirby said:

And now you know…..the rest of the story.

Thanks for all the information.  You've been most helpful.  I know enough that I'm not qualified to do this myself.  I'll get a licensed electrician as there could also be permits required.