Update on 6.8L @ Windsor

Power Kid

Been @ 8+ months now since the news leaked about the upcoming 6.8L V8 :drool: being built at Windsor. I thought more news may leak out by now. Story was F150 maybe Mustang. (Maybe Raptor R?) If it lands in F150 assuming will be MY23? Talk was 22 but likely calendar year vs MY. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In all honesty, Ford should bring F250 out of the Super Duty line and move it onto F150 chassis (F150 is practically available as a 3/4 ton now) 6.8L then would be available in 150 and 250 along with 3.5L Ecoboost and 5.0L Coyote (3.3L V6 standard power for 150 and 5.0L V8 for 250) then Super Duty starts at F350 and with available 7.3L gasser and 6.7L Powerstroke with 6.2L BOSS as standard.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by twintornados

15 hours ago, Power Kid said:

Nope. Wasnt in 22 order guide yesterday. ? Guess its time to order a 7.3L 250. 

That’s what I did.  It was time to trade my Raptor and the Raptor R isn’t ready yet and my dealer only had allocation for one  21 Raptor, which went to the dealers friend, so I got a 22 F250 7.3L to try something different. I’m looking forward to getting back into a V8 again. 

• 2 weeks later...

It does make you wonder; putting the OHV engine in the F150 lineup would have appeal to those that shirk technology and there are those. The Tundra's following was mainly due to their 5.7L which was dismally in-efficient. Ford would have to make sure the 6.8L was fuel efficient, I know two people that have picked up used Tundra's on the cheap and in each case the former owner got tired of the poor fuel milage. The Tundra's 5.7 was lucky to attain 13 hwy, 11 mpg was common. I recall my grandfathers' 1976 J10 with permanent AWD managed 11 mpg....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, benpack61 said:

Excited to see the dyno graph of the 6.8

What are saying here? You would be excited to see the dyno graph? Or, you are excited at the dyno graph you saw. If it's the latter, I would be excited to see it. Has this engine been built? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, edselford said:

Does anyone know why this engine is 6.8 liters?

The news release from the Canadian union at Windsor talked about 6X. Or it’s derivatives. What does this mean? More different displacements?

edselford

Simple, it has the 6.2 stroke and the 7.3 bore, this lands at 6.8L

The 6.2 and 7.3 have identical bore spacing; the 7.3 block is basically the 6.2 block with a cam and pushrods added to the valley and larger bores with a taller deck height. I'm almost praying that the 6.8 is actually the 6.2 block with the 7.3 bores (and not the 7.3 block with the 6.2 deck height) because a dohc 6.8 with the Coyote's tech could realistically make 600hp NA passing emissions while the 6.8 pushrod will barely break 500hp with emissions. IMO that barely beats the current 5.0 Coyote so is that even worth making?

• Like 1

Stroke is 3.74. These are metric engines so 7.3 has bore and stroke of 107.2 X101 mm

6.2 is at 102X95 mm Do the math in metric and then convert to cubic inches by multiplying by 

61.02 cubic inches per liter.

I just wonder if 6.8 with direct injection will replace the 6.2 boss in F250/350? Maybe pushing the 7.3 into F450/550 only?

edselford

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...