Explorer Front License Plate Bracket from Factory?

Pardsy

I've got a 2021 Explorer ST on order, due to be built in August. I asked my dealer not to install the front plate when it arrives. I'm reading on Facebook that front license plate brackets are factory installed at the plant at Chicago prior to shipment if the vehicle is going to a state requiring two license plates. Is this true? I figured I'd ask here where people are in the actual know versus taking stock in Facebook where everyone is an "expert." Thanks!

That's what the order guide states, if car is sold in a state requiring a front plate you get the bracket for free. Otherwise not. Besides, I have removed several and they come off easy without damage to the bumper. 

Front bracket is not required in Georgia, but my dealer asked if I want one at no charge. I said "sure, I'll put a ham radio plate there."

54 minutes ago, Radio said:

That's what the order guide states, if car is sold in a state requiring a front plate you get the bracket for free. Otherwise not. Besides, I have removed several and they come off easy without damage to the bumper. 

Front bracket is not required in Georgia, but my dealer asked if I want one at no charge. I said "sure, I'll put a ham radio plate there."

I see that now but my question is does it come installed? Or in the trunk like usual?

21 minutes ago, Dewbs said:

Most of the time accessories like that is done at the dealer.

Thats what I thought but the Facebook experts say otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, Pardsy said:

I see that now but my question is does it come installed? Or in the trunk like usual?

Thats what I thought but the Facebook experts say otherwise. 

The accessory kit. Hubcaps, antenna, front plate  and manuals. 

Over the past several years, I custom-ordered three new Explorer Platinum models: a 2016, a 2018, and a 2020. I live in Massachusetts, and Ford insists that each of my Explorers be equipped with a factory installed front license-plate bracket at the factory (Chicago Assembly Plant).

For my Explorers, I have one of the older "green" plates from way back when Massachusetts issued only one (rear) plate per vehicle. I've kept the plate in mint condition, and Massachusetts allows its use as long as the numerals are readable from a distance of 60 feet.

When I take delivery of a new Explorer, I carefully drill-out the plastic rivets that hold the front plate bracket to the bumper and remove the bracket. I plug the small holes in the bumper with plastic plugs painted to match my Explorer's exterior color. I keep the bracket so I can include it when I trade-in or sell the Explorer.

In states that do not require 2 plates, the front plate bracket is optional (for no charge, as others have stated.)

Some dealers order front plate brackets on all their stock, then install a dealer-branded plate for advertisement purposes.  Many people don't bother to replace the dealer advertisement plate.

Edited by jgonza5

• 3 weeks later...

Exit32

When was the last time your Reg. was up for renewal the reason I ask this My plate in green 

was up for reregistration & I was told all green plates need to be returned (they don`t take plates back anymore your asked to destroy it) I was issued a new plate in red letters it was not a reserved plate just 1 I have had for years ? very interesting in the way they due MA plates now we use to get a new design or color setup like every 10 or so years I think we are way past a new design or style plate.

I have three (3) Massachusetts green plates, each mounted on the rear of a different registered and insured vehicle (2020 Ford Explorer, 2002 Ford Thunderbird, 1965 Rambler American). All of my green plates are original, in excellent condition, and easily readable from a distance of 60 feet. Last month (June) My 2002 T-Bird passed Massachusetts safety inspection with its single green plate, and the inspector didn't say anything about green plates needing to be returned. In fact, Page 8 of the current Passenger Plates Booklet published by the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles shows a photo of a green license plate and says, "The Passenger Normal Plate features either a white background with red lettering; or a white background with green lettering."

Here's a link to Massachusetts Passenger Plates Booklet:  ENVIRONMENTAL (mass.gov)

I believe there was a story circulating several years ago about Massachusetts green plates needing to be returned, but that story is false.