Adaptive Suspension w/ Road Preview

sagosto

The Aviator's Adaptive Suspension is confusing. The salesman said it comes standard on every Aviator. Per https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67720-adaptive-suspension-vs-adaptive-suspension-with-road-preview/, this appears to be just the stock springs. The test car I drove had this and was extremely smooth. However, a thread on LincolnForums (https://lincolnforums.com/forums/threads/aviator-optional-dynamic-air-suspension-satisfaction-poll.39866/) gives the impression this hurts the ride rather than help it. Is there a more consensus on this feature? Is the Adaptive suspension w/ road preview an upgrade over coil springs to air springs with automated adjustments via camera? What's the Air-Glide suspension? 

I have a 2022 Aviator with the air ride on order. After reading this post I went back to my dealer today and test drove both the standard suspension and the air ride back to back on the same route (both 21's with 22 inch wheels). Although the air ride is not as smooth as my 97 Town Car, it is a definite improvement over the standard suspension. My order will have the standard (for Reserve) 20 wheels which should be even smoother. I have test driven Aviators in the past with both 20 and 22 inch and there was a noticeable difference there as well, 20 inch being smoother.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I drove a used 2020 Aviator Reserve with 20s and standard suspension - it was nice but no better than our Buick.  We bought a 21 Aviator Reserve II with 22s and dynamic suspension and the difference is incredible.  As much as I hate to admit it, the 22s really set off the lines on the Aviator too.  My only gripe is that when the car lowers the rear suspension when the gate is open, it makes it that much further to duck under the rear lift gate (i'm 6'3" tall)

21 hours ago, fredrickhw said:

My only gripe is that when the car lowers the rear suspension when the gate is open, it makes it that much further to duck under the rear lift gate (i'm 6'3" tall)

You can easily turn off that feature to prevent it from lowering when the hatch is opened.

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, fredrickhw said:

I drove a used 2020 Aviator Reserve with 20s and standard suspension - it was nice but no better than our Buick.  We bought a 21 Aviator Reserve II with 22s and dynamic suspension and the difference is incredible.  As much as I hate to admit it, the 22s really set off the lines on the Aviator too.  My only gripe is that when the car lowers the rear suspension when the gate is open, it makes it that much further to duck under the rear lift gate (i'm 6'3" tall)

I am so glad to read this. I have put in an order for the 2023 Aviator GT and I decided to splurge a bit and go for the adaptive package. I have seen some gripes about it but glad to see that it is working well for you