7.3 liter Gas option verse 6.7 liter PSD

I waffled on the diesel vs gas for weeks before finally placing my platinum f250 tremor order in late July.  I've driven both and they both have good power.  The "cool factor" was my only reason to go toward the diesel, as I do not do any heavy or long distance hauling.  Hell, I don't even need a superduty, but I like them a lot better than the F150.  Cost was definitely a factor, but I plan to keep the truck for 8-10yrs and was concerned about the horror stories for repairs.  I know those cases are outliers, but they are still concerning.  Ultimately, it came down to a need vs want situation and I decided to use the "extra money" toward getting the model/trim level and other options that I really wanted.  However, if I truly needed it, I would not have hesitated to get the diesel and the resulting "cool kid factor" that comes along with it.

My truck is spending most of its time in Mexico, pulling a 10K pound trailer (at max weight, 8K unladen). Diesel in Mexico is hit or miss, when it comes to Ultra Low Sulfur diesel. It may never be universally available there. They also don't sell DEF there. So diesel is a huge disadvantage for me. Diesel absolutely doesn't fit my geographic use case.

Other disadvantages? A 10K pound trailer doesn't need the power of the diesel, the 7.3 will do the job fine. From my research, anything heavier than a 10K pound trailer or fifth wheel would benefit from the diesel. I'm more likely to go smaller than larger in the future. So diesel power isn't necessary for my towing use case.

Then there is the $8K price premium over the 7.3 and the horrendous reliability of the diesel, with enormous, larger than I've ever seen in any vehicle, repair costs. If I had a diesel, I would keep $10K in the bank for when it blows up, or I would swap out trucks every three years. I hear depreciation is a great reason to buy a diesel. Good thing!  I did test drive a diesel and it put a smile on my face, so I do like them. Diesel doesn't fit my budgetary constraints, especially when my tow vehicle-trailer combo is hitting $130K.

So: Can't get clean diesel where I'm going, don't need the towing power of the diesel, don't want to spend $8K on something I don't need, can't afford the ticking time bomb of diesel repairs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blackdiamond925 said:

My truck is spending most of its time in Mexico, pulling a 10K pound trailer (at max weight, 8K unladen). Diesel in Mexico is hit or miss, when it comes to Ultra Low Sulfur diesel. It may never be universally available there. They also don't sell DEF there. So diesel is a huge disadvantage for me. Diesel absolutely doesn't fit my geographic use case.

Other disadvantages? A 10K pound trailer doesn't need the power of the diesel, the 7.3 will do the job fine. From my research, anything heavier than a 10K pound trailer or fifth wheel would benefit from the diesel. I'm more likely to go smaller than larger in the future. So diesel power isn't necessary for my towing use case.

Then there is the $8K price premium over the 7.3 and the horrendous reliability of the diesel, with enormous, larger than I've ever seen in any vehicle, repair costs. If I had a diesel, I would keep $10K in the bank for when it blows up, or I would swap out trucks every three years. I hear depreciation is a great reason to buy a diesel. Good thing!  I did test drive a diesel and it put a smile on my face, so I do like them. Diesel doesn't fit my budgetary constraints, especially when my tow vehicle-trailer combo is hitting $130K.

So: Can't get clean diesel where I'm going, don't need the towing power of the diesel, don't want to spend $8K on something I don't need, can't afford the ticking time bomb of diesel repairs.

All very valid points and makes complete sense to me. I just want to point out the you can buy a Ford Premium Care Warranty that covers 125K miles/8 years whichever occurs first for $3,000 or 8/150K for $4500. Most diesels don't have any issues until about 125K miles and that cost is $5K to $8K from what I have seen.

• Like 1

What I have always found to be funny, is these guys that go out and buy diesel f 250/350s but they don't have trailers of any kind to tow. 

Or the guys that go out and buy Duallys that have never even had  any kind of hitch put on them or even have plans on buying something to tow 

I mean if that's they want, it's their money but I still find it funny. Not referencing anybody here , just something I have noticed over the years.

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

I went back and forth trying to decide which way to go. While my truck will not be a daily driver, it will usually be hauling when it is drove whether it be farm equipment or toys. I went with the 6.7 because it is a proven motor, have multiple friends into the 200k mile mark and one friend who finally dropped his first 6.7 at over 600k miles in a 2017 Platnium. While the diesel is more up front and more maintenance I think you see a good chunk when it comes to resale of the truck. Initially it is around $9000 difference going from the 7.3 to the 6.7.  I plan on keeping this truck for many years but if I decided 5 years down the road to sell it I should see $5,000 or more of that back comparing it to a similar optioned 7.3. I fully believe a 7.3 would have worked great for me but I see most of this trucks trips being longer drives so I look forward to the better mileage and less stopping. 

22 F350 CCLB

6.7 PS

XLT Black Appearance

• Like 3

Acquisition cost, maintenance cost, lots of reports of emission equipment issues are all items that turned me off of the Diesel for now. We're currently towing a 6k lb 24' travel trailer, that we might upgrade to a little bigger if we went full time. Unless/until we go to something north of 12k lbs, would I strongly consider the Diesel.

YMMV

Cost definitely played an initial role for  me in ordering a 7.3 but the more I thought about the more I didn't really need a diesel at this moment in time or in the near future anyway. The 7.3 appears to be a highly capable engine that should serve me well for a long time. If I was towing everyday I would have sprung for the deisel but I won't be.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 5:56 PM, Zumari said:

But now that I've read thru this, I'm settled on getting the 7.3. If I ever decide to spend money for additional power and torque, I'll put on a supercharger but after the warranty is up.

Put a 10K+ supercharger on to get less power than the diesel?  Be cheaper to offload the 7.3 and get the diesel in this instance.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, bshort said:

Put a 10K+ supercharger on to get less power than the diesel?  Be cheaper to offload the 7.3 and get the diesel in this instance.  

LOL.

1. If someone spends 10K on a supercharger, they're a fool. You can buy them nowadays for about 6K and the install is stupid simple. 

2. The power I'm interested is horsepower, not torque. 800 HP is easy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Zumari said:

LOL.

1. If someone spends 10K on a supercharger, they're a fool. You can buy them nowadays for about 6K and the install is stupid simple. 

2. The power I'm interested is horsepower, not torque. 800 HP is easy.

Procharger (without tune) is 6300.  If you're wanting 800, you won't get remotely close for 6k.  ?  

9 hours ago, bshort said:

Procharger (without tune) is 6300.  If you're wanting 800, you won't get remotely close for 6k.  ?  

Show me the prices of supercharges 4 years into the future.

They'll either be non-existent because of problems or there will be more for sale at a lower price. Same thing happened with the Gen2 Lightnings: more and better for less money.

19 hours ago, Zumari said:

Show me the prices of supercharges 4 years into the future.

They'll either be non-existent because of problems or there will be more for sale at a lower price. Same thing happened with the Gen2 Lightnings: more and better for less money.

What problems would make them non-existent, besides the EPA cracking down on gas like they have been with diesel?  If that is not the case, they will be available four years from now at a price higher than today.  Check out the price of the Whipple...the only descent SC option.  

Edited by bshort

“I’ll just supercharge it later.”

-Every single person that purchased a Camaro SS, Mustang GT, or Challenger SRT and wish they got a ZL1, GT500, or Hellcat, and ultimately never installed a blower. 

I’m not trying to bust balls, but I will make an argument for spending that money up front if you think you will need/want the power, and getting it OEM and under warranty. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mojave_Idiot said:

-Every single person that purchased a Camaro SS, Mustang GT, or Challenger SRT and wish they got a ZL1, GT500, or Hellcat, and ultimately never installed a blower. 

I’m not trying to bust balls, but I will make an argument for spending that money up front if you think you will need/want the power, and getting it OEM and under warranty. 

I'm not buying a Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Challenger SRT, etc. I'm buying a truck. I would not be interested in installing a supercharger until more are available and the tuning is worked out. Nationwide, I bet less than 50 have been installed on 7.3 trucks and I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 10.

If I want race car power, I'll drive my race cars. If I want to modify a truck, I'll do it when I want to. I did the same with prior cars and trucks - when I wanted to and how I wanted to.

For some reason, I guess this doesn't make sense.

Edited by Zumari
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zumari said:

I'm not buying a Camaro SS, Mustang GT, Challenger SRT, etc. I'm buying a truck. I would not be interested in installing a supercharger until more are available and the tuning is worked out. Nationwide, I bet less than 50 have been installed on 7.3 trucks and I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 10.

If I want race car power, I'll drive my race cars. If I want to modify a truck, I'll do it when I want to. I did the same with prior cars and trucks - when I wanted to and how I wanted to.

For some reason, I guess this doesn't make sense.

Couple posts up you're talking about 800HP.  Which is it? Feeling some 18 year old vibes here.  

10 hours ago, Mojave_Idiot said:

I agree and I'll add the resale value you give up adding a super charger. I'm pretty sure it would really limit the market for the truck.

Hey all. Figured I could chime in here as a great place for my first post. I operate gas wells and plants in Alberta and have owned a few SD's over the years. All of these previous SD's have been Lariat or Platinum diesels. A 2003 Lariat 2" level, 2008 Lariat 6" lift,  2009 Cabelas stock height, 2011 2.5" level, 2014 Platinum 2.5" Ready Lift SST, 2016 Lariat 3.5" Ready Lift SST. After that was 2017 and a 2019 F150's with 3.5 EcoBoosts and 3.5" Ready Lift SST's. When I ordered my 2022 F250 I never even looked at the 6.7 PSD; and went straight to the 7.3 Godzilla. Since my 2003 it seemed like the price kept going up and the fuel mileage kept going down. As well as the cost of maintaining and running a diesel also kept climbing. On my 2016 I was only getting about 14.5 L/100 kms or ~ 15 mpg; which is also what I get out of a 3.5 EcoBoost in combined driving. The diesel will do better unloaded on the hwy than the 7.3 Godzilla no doubt, but as a daily driver and since I don't own a trailer of any kind the 6.7 PSD made no sense to me anymore. As the emissions restrictions continue to kill the fuel mileage on the modern diesels and the price of diesel is no longer an advantage I can't understand why anyone that doesn't NEED a diesel engine would ever want to own one as a daily driver or a work truck. 

12 hours ago, bshort said:

Couple posts up you're talking about 800HP.  Which is it? Feeling some 18 year old vibes here.  

Today, 600 hp is a bolt on. I bet 800 hp will be a bolt on a few years from now. Same thing happened to the Gen2 Lightnings.

So, what's your issue?

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

What I have always found to be funny, is these guys that go out and buy diesel f 250/350s but they don't have trailers of any kind to tow. 

Or the guys that go out and buy Duallys that have never even had  any kind of hitch put on them or even have plans on buying something to tow 

I mean if that's they want, it's their money but I still find it funny. Not referencing anybody here , just something I have noticed over the years.

I will be the first to admit that I don't NEED the diesel (very little towing/hauling).  I really don't NEED a F250/F350....but I want it.  People can argue between what is needed and what is not needed all day long.  Do people go out and buy a corvette/mustang/challenger/any sports car because they need it?  Nope.  

For me, I am a guy with limited mobility and having a toy, such as a sports car, is physically impossible due to unable to get in and out of low cars without falling on the ground.  I had a 66 Nova which ended up sitting in my garage since I was unable to get up/down off the ground to work on it.  I sold it, used the money for a F350 Tremor w/Diesel.  The truck is now my daily driver and toy (which can do whatever I need whenever I need).  Now that I have the truck in my possession, I am just as happy as any guy/gal driving a new anything.  

To each his/her own.   I will say that I know have a stick in the fire to try and persuade the wife in getting a camper.  

• Like 1

I don't understand why some people feel the need to tell someone ELSE what they need or should buy.   Options are great!  A diesel and a supercharged 7.3 are NOT even remotely comparable, two totally different power curves.  If you feel the need to put down someone else because of THEIR engine choice, then you are the problem, not their decision!

• Like 4

That's why I say it's your money that you can do whatever you want..  it's America we have the choice....

But being an American I also have the choice to find it funny that people buy Duallys with diesels and have absolutely nothing to tow &.

You're an American you have the choice to buy it....I'm an American I have the choice to find it funny and comment on it.

Nothing wrong with either one of the choices.

Sorry if you feel offended by my comment, my purpose is not to offend anybody. 

36 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

That's why I say it's your money that you can do whatever you want..  it's America we have the choice....

But being an American I also have the choice to find it funny that people buy Duallys with diesels and have absolutely nothing to tow &.

You're an American you have the choice to buy it....I'm an American I have the choice to find it funny and comment on it.

Nothing wrong with either one of the choices.

Sorry if you feel offended by my comment, my purpose is not to offend anybody. 

Definitely not offended here.  Can't hurt my feeling (only have one...LOL).  Only giving a point of view from one who didn't buy the truck to tow.  I do see/understand where those who tow/haul often would find it a bit crazy to buy such a vehicle to not tow/haul very much.  

• Like 1