7.3 liter Gas option verse 6.7 liter PSD

I totally agree with DOPEY on this one, in regards to buying something you want to suit your needs/wants even though you may not currently tow/haul a lot, but like the old saying goes "It's better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it." Should you choose to buy a travel trailer (if your wife lets you) then you will have the right truck for the job. Good Luck and enjoy your truck.

My order is still an "Unscheduled Clean." I have no idea when I'm getting my truck. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bshort said:

Just trying to decipher the babble is all......carry on.  

The babble is probably a lot of other sentences your brain is inserting into a really straight forward statement.

What I stated was simple. Buy a truck with a 7.3 and after a few years, bolt on a supercharger, etc. If you think that's babble, I don't know what to say.

• Like 1

I sold my 21 7.3l and ordered a 6.7l. I was averaging 11.2 MPG and worse when towing six months out of the year. It’s a great motor and will pull anything, however the transmission was very erratic, I could barely hook a trailer up by myself. It lurched forward and backward when shifting. I was told that it was because of the torque of the 7.3. Not sure but does seem like a common complaint on the Tremor forms. I test drove a 6.7 much it’s smoother. Overall both great choices.

• Like 1

There is no right or wrong in the 7.3 versus diesel

We each have our needs and we each have our wants. In the grand scheme of things they're both DAMN good engines.

Like I said before it's Ford versus Chevy, Glock versus Colt, ham versus turkey.

Ya know what though.... there's a Prius Forum linking to this thread and they're all kicking and screaming at us from the shadows saying we here are all a bunch of fossil-fuel burning Earth killers.????

( you know just thinking about something.. muscle car guys have their shows/meets, sports bikes guys have their shows and meets, lowrider guys have theirs, tuck guys theirs ect ect ........)

Do Prius people that are passionate about Prius cars have get-togethers?...if so I bet that is one parking lot full of weirdness!) Just sayin!?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MI173 said:

I sold my 21 7.3l and ordered a 6.7l. I was averaging 11.2 MPG and worse when towing six months out of the year. It’s a great motor and will pull anything, however the transmission was very erratic, I could barely hook a trailer up by myself. It lurched forward and backward when shifting. I was told that it was because of the torque of the 7.3. Not sure but does seem like a common complaint on the Tremor forms. I test drove a 6.7 much it’s smoother. Overall both great choices.

I had the same exact experience with my 2021 7.3 and sold it .I just took delivery on my 2022 F350 6.7 and it is night and day difference.The 7.3 is a nice engine,but for towing often and long distance I don’t think you can beat the 6.7.It never labors and doesn’t down shift and hunt gears like my 7.3.Like I said I think they are both great engines and the choice is based on different circumstances.I hope you all get your trucks soon and enjoy them as much as I do mine.

7 hours ago, Oldfordguy said:

I had the same exact experience with my 2021 7.3 and sold it .I just took delivery on my 2022 F350 6.7 and it is night and day difference.The 7.3 is a nice engine,but for towing often and long distance I don’t think you can beat the 6.7.It never labors and doesn’t down shift and hunt gears like my 7.3.Like I said I think they are both great engines and the choice is based on different circumstances.I hope you all get your trucks soon and enjoy them as much as I do mine.

Glad to hear it, I never second guessed my decision to change but I have no diesel experience. 

12 hours ago, MI173 said:

The last diesel I had was a 2016 Duramax and it was a solid 11 mpg towing.  A 2015 Chevy 6.0 was around 7.5 and a 2019 GMC 6.2 was around 9.5.  If the 7.3 gets me 11.2, think I'll be pleased.  

17 hours ago, MI173 said:

New here but just sold my 2020 7.3 F250 CCSB to order a new 2022 6.7 F350 CCSB. The 7.3 was a great motor with the 10spd and got OK mileage towing of about 9.5 with our 7K# trailer. I loved that truck but decided to go to the 6.7 for better range while towing and a few added options. You LB guys probably don't have that issue with a 50 gallon tank but 34 wasn't cutting it. Fuel economy should be better both towing and not and I can get a larger fuel tank to increase range. I was getting around 250mi to a tank and it was just not enough, especially when running through the crowded northeastern states. Heck, I couldn't even make it from home to our usual camping spot on the OBX in a single tank. One of the first upgrades on the new truck will be either an S&B or Titan tank.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this old one back to the top.  I just ordered a 350 Lariat crew cab with a 7.3 today.  Why?  Because of the reasons mentioned. $8,000 less, lower maintenance costs, it's my daily driver, etc.  I will be towing a small toy hauler with it eventually.  For now it's going to be towing a 25' bunkhouse that my F-150 handles just fine.   

One thing that I wonder when it comes to the performance discussion:  How much of that 900lbs of torque out of a power stroke is really reaching the pavement?  Unloaded, or even loaded my eco boost spins the tires with the traction control turned "off" without much effort.  Without the electronics, even the power out of the 7.3 would be unmanageable unless you're driving like an egg is under the throttle pedal.  

9 hours ago, Mbrooks44 said:

You lose 15-20% through the drivetrain. So, with 1,000 lb ft you get 800 to when tires. I have a 6.7 Cummins with 910 lb ft I think it is. Unless I smash the pedal, it doesn’t slip. 

I think on modern vehicles it’s closer to 10% loss.

11 hours ago, pilotpip said:

Bringing this old one back to the top.  I just ordered a 350 Lariat crew cab with a 7.3 today.  Why?  Because of the reasons mentioned. $8,000 less, lower maintenance costs, it's my daily driver, etc.  I will be towing a small toy hauler with it eventually.  For now it's going to be towing a 25' bunkhouse that my F-150 handles just fine.   

One thing that I wonder when it comes to the performance discussion:  How much of that 900lbs of torque out of a power stroke is really reaching the pavement?  Unloaded, or even loaded my eco boost spins the tires with the traction control turned "off" without much effort.  Without the electronics, even the power out of the 7.3 would be unmanageable unless you're driving like an egg is under the throttle pedal.  

Have driven 6.7's for almost 9 yrs as a daily driver and towing our 5th wheel. When the tires are good and the roads are dry you really have to hammer the accelerator to get the wheel spin. Even when the roads are wet, which in the Pacific North West is common, I rarely get wheel spin, but I do drive in accordance with the conditions.

23 hours ago, Mbrooks44 said:

You lose 15-20% through the drivetrain. So, with 1,000 lb ft you get 800 to when tires. I have a 6.7 Cummins with 910 lb ft I think it is. Unless I smash the pedal, it doesn’t slip. 

From youtube here is a video that shows the actual torque results to the rear wheel with the 10 speed trans. of the 1050lbs torque the test shows 972 reached the rear tires in the ford at the 8 minute mark in the video.. it also test other fords ie the 2019 diesel  with the 6 speed. The new 10 speed trans really lets the power go to the tires, Less than 8% is lost.

For the 7.3 gas it reached 407lbs of torque to the rear tires. I will post the link 

Edited by OREGUNFIRE

19 minutes ago, OREGUNFIRE said:

From youtube here is a video that shows the actual torque results to the rear wheel with the 10 speed trans. of the 1050lbs torque the test shows 972 reached the rear tires in the ford at the 8 minute mark in the video.. it also test other fords ie the 2019 diesel  with the 6 speed. The new 10 speed trans really lets the power go to the tires, Less than 8% is lost.

For the 7.3 gas it reached 407lbs of torque to the rear tires. I will post the link 

Here is the gas engine info on rear wheel torque an hp to the rear wheels

On 12/14/2021 at 8:39 AM, Rangers09 said:

Have driven 6.7's for almost 9 yrs as a daily driver and towing our 5th wheel. When the tires are good and the roads are dry you really have to hammer the accelerator to get the wheel spin. Even when the roads are wet, which in the Pacific North West is common, I rarely get wheel spin, but I do drive in accordance with the conditions.

It is more of an issue on my 22 with the 10 speed and 3.55, then my 17 with 6 -speed and 3.55 or my 19 with a 6-speed and 3.31. It took a little getting used to. I doubt you will have an issue with a dually.

Edited by Robin Hood
  • Like 1

Reasons I opted for the 7.3 over the diesel (ordered F350 7.3 Lariat Ultimate SRW):

1.  Initial cost - I can buy a lot of fuel (or other options) for the $8k +/-  difference in up-front cost.

2.  Maintenance costs lower on 7.3.

3.  Cost of diesel fuel and DEF > gas.

4.  Familiarity (for myself) of gasoline engines v. little for diesel engines.

5.  Availability of mechanics for gasoline engines v. diesel engines, at least in my area

6.  Repair costs for diesel engines > gasoline engines.

7.  Weight of diesel engine v. gas engine (very minor issue).

For me, it was simple - I do not tow often enough to see the benefit of the diesel engine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a good read, I’m going from a 17 F250 4x4 crew cab short bed, 6.7 to Ordered 22 F350 4x2 crew cab long bed 7.3 gas. Hopefully this is not a mistake, my biggest fear is the fuel tank. I installed a titan 55 gallon on the 17 within 6 months. I will miss the range between fill ups and stopping at stations that I pick. My DW needs to stop more than me
The 17, pulling our Airstream 28 foot trailer would average 12 mpg. This is between Lexington KY and Sarasota FL, it’s nice not stopping for fuel but one time. 
The 6.7 has plenty of torque and pulls like a train, the cost of the maintenance and repairs. (Never had a issue) had me to change to the 7.3, Hopefully I will not regret my decision. 

Has anyone found a larger fuel tank for the 7.3, or adding a second tank? I have been looking for real mpg on a 2 wheel drive 7.3 towing, looks like no one has a 4x2 on here.

2 hours ago, 35FordTudor said:

Has anyone found a larger fuel tank for the 7.3, or adding a second tank?

https://www.tankandbarrel.com/rectangle-gasoline-tanks-ati-aux51rg-ati-51-gallon-rectangle-gasoline-auxiliary-fuel-tank-p-2798.html

This is the one I bought, 5-9 week lead time. I went with a thinner tank (9"), there is only so much real-estate in the bed and did not want to loose much but did want a tank....when dragging a trailer long distance through rural areas it is hard to find gas station parking lots that can handle a 57 foot truck and trailer.

That will give me 100 gallons.

I am finding this kind of mileage over the few 2500 miles I have on the 7.3 (4x4)4.30 truck now.

Mountain 11-13 mpg

Flat land 14-15

Flat land towing 9k +/-  8-10

Flat land towing 15k 8-9mpg

No trailer Stop and go city lot of idle time...2-3 mpg (hard to calculate this because idle time)

Flat land driving no stopping 35mph 19mpg (almost idling down the road)

Screenshot_20211124-155439_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211226-204958_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211226-204807_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220109-112124_Gallery.jpg

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 35FordTudor said:

This has been a good read, I’m going from a 17 F250 4x4 crew cab short bed, 6.7 to Ordered 22 F350 4x2 crew cab long bed 7.3 gas. Hopefully this is not a mistake, my biggest fear is the fuel tank. I installed a titan 55 gallon on the 17 within 6 months. I will miss the range between fill ups and stopping at stations that I pick. My DW needs to stop more than me
The 17, pulling our Airstream 28 foot trailer would average 12 mpg. This is between Lexington KY and Sarasota FL, it’s nice not stopping for fuel but one time. 
The 6.7 has plenty of torque and pulls like a train, the cost of the maintenance and repairs. (Never had a issue) had me to change to the 7.3, Hopefully I will not regret my decision. 

Has anyone found a larger fuel tank for the 7.3, or adding a second tank? I have been looking for real mpg on a 2 wheel drive 7.3 towing, looks like no one has a 4x2 on here.

Does the 7.3 longbed not have the 48 gallon tank like the 6.7?

1 hour ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

I am finding this kind of mileage over the few 2500 miles I have on the 7.3 (4x4)4.30 truck now.

Mountain 11-13 mpg

Flat land 14-15

Flat land towing 9k +/-  8-10

Flat land towing 15k 8-9mpg

No trailer Stop and go city lot of idle time...2-3 mpg (hard to calculate this because idle time)

Flat land driving no stopping 35mph 19mpg (almost idling down the road)

Those milage numbers are great, what size tires are you running?