Bronco Based Henessey Velociraptor 400

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The litmus test will be if F150 2.7 gets the 10R60 or stays put with the 10R80.

F-150 most likely won't change due to higher tow ratings. Bronco has basically no tow rating and the Ranger is significantly below the F-150.  A lot more goes into transmission selection than just the nominal input shaft rating.  None of us no for a fact if that is limiting or not.  None of us no the actual input shaft torque or what the maximum capability of each transmission is to handle the maximum torque output of the engine.  We also don't know what kind of electronic torque limiting goes for each gear.

21 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Correct, the electric motor in place of the torque converter adds

up to  200 lb ft in the lower rpms tapering off as revs increase.

The Explorer PHEV (export) and Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring PHEV with 630 ft-lb of torque use the 10R80 transmission? 

5 hours ago, Flying68 said:

F-150 most likely won't change due to higher tow ratings. Bronco has basically no tow rating and the Ranger is significantly below the F-150.  A lot more goes into transmission selection than just the nominal input shaft rating.  None of us no for a fact if that is limiting or not.  None of us no the actual input shaft torque or what the maximum capability of each transmission is to handle the maximum torque output of the engine.  We also don't know what kind of electronic torque limiting goes for each gear.

I think you’re conflating torque limiting strategies in other applications like FWD with what goes on in RWD/AWD.

We do know that the 60 was developed well after the 80 with improved efficiency as well as being lighter but does

that mean that it can’t tow moderate loads?

OK, here’s my “walk back” on what I said previously,

Maybe Ford doesn’t change 2.7 F150 to 10R60 because it doesn’t make economic sense to pay

for changes to use a gearbox that has less capability?

In comparison, the Ranger is never going to have the tow rating of the F150 but there’s other supply 

considerations, The 10R is established and used with the 2.0 diesel as well, so maybe keeping things

as they are is less complicated for international supply chains and parts.

it seems odd that Ford would develop the lighter 60 for just a few applications but I guess that

all those Explorer and Bronco 10R60 builds add up significantly over the two product cycles…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I don't know anything about the design specifications or reliability/strength of either transmission, but rock crawling and trail riding puts an incredible amount of heat into an automatic transmission. Well aware we're talking decades of innovation and engineering apart, but I burned up quite a few c6's in my 78 Bronco before adding a transmission cooler with an additional pusher fan on it. Transmission would get hot enough to overheat the engine in some cases unless I kept my speed up enough to get some airflow over the radiator/transmission cooler. Point being, more beef is never a bad thing in a vehicle designed to be used off road. Hopefully they've accounted for all of that and it isn't a cost cutting future error as suggested though.