Adaptive Steering - Is it worthwhile......

14 minutes ago, Latebraking said:

...... or is it simply a shiny farkle-type of option that only delays delivery of your new truck?

I actually like it on my 19, with that said its not a must have feature.  I dropped it from my current order so i could get scheduled.  these trucks can pretty much get upgraded at any time after the fact.  If i feel like i have to have it ill buy the steering wheel and do it later.  now one thing to consider, look up adaptive steering failure super duty, when it fails the truck can still be driven but the wheel is turned 90 degrees. 

34 minutes ago, road turtle said:

It was the option I fretted over the most.  Just cancelled it Thursday evening

I wouldnt frett it, wait till 22 parts are available and youll be able to add it later if youre dying to have it.  Ive looked up all the wiring diagrams for it unfortunately the 17-21 steering wheel is different so youll have to get a 22 steering wheel later when they are available.  the AS is built into the wheel, should be a pretty easy upgrade later. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JHForman812 said:

I wouldnt frett it, wait till 22 parts are available and youll be able to add it later if youre dying to have it.  Ive looked up all the wiring diagrams for it unfortunately the 17-21 steering wheel is different so youll have to get a 22 steering wheel later when they are available.  the AS is built into the wheel, should be a pretty easy upgrade later. 

I'll live without it :)

Now get my truck scheduled!!!!!

18 hours ago, jlc2022 said:

I was a big fan on the test drive, but haven't owned a truck with it. Would be tempting if not causing a delay. 

Serious question, why did you like it so much? admittedly I have never driven a vehicle with it so I don't know if I would like it or not.

44 minutes ago, aboyles2002 said:

Serious question, why did you like it so much? admittedly I have never driven a vehicle with it so I don't know if I would like it or not.

My 2019 Lincoln Nautilus is equipped with adaptive steering and adaptive cruise control.  In city driving it isn't much of a benefit.  The true benefit is when you're out on the highway and especially on long trips.  Adaptive steering and adaptive cruise control take a lot of the fatigue out of driving on long trips.  It senses the curves in the highway and gently guides you in that direction.  You can easily override the direction.  I don't think I will ever own another vehicle without this feature.

15 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

My 2019 Lincoln Nautilus is equipped with adaptive steering and adaptive cruise control.  In city driving it isn't much of a benefit.  The true benefit is when you're out on the highway and especially on long trips.  Adaptive steering and adaptive cruise control take a lot of the fatigue out of driving on long trips.  It senses the curves in the highway and gently guides you in that direction.  You can easily override the direction.  I don't think I will ever own another vehicle without this feature.

That wasnt my understanding at all of how adaptive steering works.  I thought it just changed the input effort of the steering and adjusted the steering gear ratio based upon speed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aboyles2002 said:

That wasnt my understanding at all of how adaptive steering works.  I thought it just changed the input effort of the steering and adjusted the steering gear ratio based upon speed.

This is correct.

The other one was describing lane keep assist.

6 hours ago, jeffhunta said:

Is this option really slowing down orders?

I dont have a for certain answer on this but I can give you my timeline:

5/4 ordered truck with AS

6/29 COVP completed

7/13 dropped AS from my order

7/15 finally got scheduled without the AS

In my eyes yes its slowing orders. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

My salesman just called me to tell us that the Adaptive Steering option has now been discontinued, and no trucks will get scheduled with that option? 

There's been no notice to Dealers, no change to the 2022 Super Duty Pickup Order Guide, no notice in the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Ordering) system and WBDO still allows the user to order the Adaptive Steering option. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

My salesman just called me to tell us that the Adaptive Steering option has now been discontinued, and no trucks will get scheduled with that option? 

that's odd.  It's not new to SD, to cancel the feature outright, doesn't sound right.

Interesting thing…I just ordered my truck yesterday (F350 King Ranch). When I went to the dealer I had my mind made up about not getting the adaptive steering but the sales person talked me in to it saying I may be able to get Blue Cruise later on if the truck was equipped with adaptive steering. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?