Adaptive Steering - Is it worthwhile......

6 hours ago, LookingButLost said:

Interesting thing…I just ordered my truck yesterday (F350 King Ranch). When I went to the dealer I had my mind made up about not getting the adaptive steering but the sales person talked me in to it saying I may be able to get Blue Cruise later on if the truck was equipped with adaptive steering. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Rule 1:, when the dealership salesman's lips are moving, be very very very on guard.

Rule 2; read rule 1 :)

I would be very surprised if it is planned anytime soon for superduty.

On 7/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, LookingButLost said:

Interesting thing…I just ordered my truck yesterday (F350 King Ranch). When I went to the dealer I had my mind made up about not getting the adaptive steering but the sales person talked me in to it saying I may be able to get Blue Cruise later on if the truck was equipped with adaptive steering. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Anything is possible i guess, but it kinda sounds like this is a good way of getting that sales number up for a little bigger commission.

Salesman doesn't know any better than us, but it seems to be a logical conclusion.  It may be years until we know.  I'm keeping adaptive steering on my order due to shoulder injuries that make any bit of help, helpful.  If you've ever had a rotator cuff injury, you know....

On 7/21/2021 at 6:05 PM, JHForman812 said:

I dont have a for certain answer on this but I can give you my timeline:

5/4 ordered truck with AS

6/29 COVP completed

7/13 dropped AS from my order

7/15 finally got scheduled without the AS

In my eyes yes its slowing orders. 

JHForman812 what’s your schedule built date if you don’t mind me asking? I’m thinking about dropping as. My truck is already scheduled for 9/20 not sure if that’s going to stick tho

On 7/25/2021 at 11:38 AM, LookingButLost said:

No, the F350 is NOT set up for autonomous driving.  Maybe the 2023+ model...

5 hours ago, Ronix28 said:

JHForman812 what’s your schedule built date if you don’t mind me asking? I’m thinking about dropping as. My truck is already scheduled for 9/20 not sure if that’s going to stick tho

mine is 8/23 week(i dont have the exact day i havent asked for it yet), if i were you and already scheduled id hold on to it, theres several guys on FTE that were in the 9/20 club like you and have moved to 9/6.  

I have decided to keep the Adaptive Steering on my order. We will be towing a 5th wheel trailer for several months and I believe this will help driving more comfortable. Also navigating campgrounds should be a easier. 

Edited by CCS103

1 hour ago, Sirunify said:

My wife has it on her explorer it is a neat feature except it would often get confused when lanes were missing paint and force me to go left/right.
I didn’t order it on the super duty 

For the hundredth time that isn’t adaptive steering that’s lane keeping.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anything out there verifying the AS or UTT is holding up some orders? If so foes it state why? I've only seen where some suggested the AS and/or UTT needed extra semiconductor chips... idk how true that is though. I placed my Platinum 350 SRW CCLB order with AS on 7/2 and hoping after 8/12 to see it scheduled... they told me 8 to 20 weeks... so I was already expecting November delivery pretty much, these delays have me worried it maybe December or even sometime in 2022 when it drops though. 

5 hours ago, PhoenixOdin77 said:

Is there anything out there verifying the AS or UTT is holding up some orders? If so foes it state why? I've only seen where some suggested the AS and/or UTT needed extra semiconductor chips... idk how true that is though. I placed my Platinum 350 SRW CCLB order with AS on 7/2 and hoping after 8/12 to see it scheduled... they told me 8 to 20 weeks... so I was already expecting November delivery pretty much, these delays have me worried it maybe December or even sometime in 2022 when it drops though. 

your dealer will have that information if anything is holding your order up

Someone on Fb just posted that they got a call from their dealer GM today who said that Adaptive Steering would not be selected for build at all anymore. Anyone seeing or hearing anything similar? What would they do with Limited trim where it’s standard? Hopefully not let my build sit in limbo forever. 

• Angry 1

On 8/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, BrickHouse said:

Someone on Fb just posted that they got a call from their dealer GM today who said that Adaptive Steering would not be selected for build at all anymore. Anyone seeing or hearing anything similar? What would they do with Limited trim where it’s standard? Hopefully not let my build sit in limbo forever. 

I asked my dealer and did my best to interpret the production notes and it my conclusion is they are only producing King Ranches with adaptive steering. I have no idea why but it all points to that hypothesis. Anyone agree? I ordered a 350KRCCLB on 7-24 and got a production week of 9-13 on Thursday. 

• Thanks 1

Just left the dealer. I went in trying to cancel adaptive steering from my current order F250 platinum tremor. I was told because it was schedule for 10/25 I was not able to make any changes? I’ve had about 4 different built weeks and with the recent news of them not building  any trucks with adaptive steering. The dealer pretty much made me order a while new truck… without it…… 

1 hour ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

So how far does that put your production date off?

Got the confirmation email from

ford when I was still at the dealer. Had the dealer change the priority code to 12 which is the lowest they can assign. No production date yet wishful hoping that it’ll get picked up tomorrow and given a built week. 

5 hours ago, Ronix28 said:

Got the confirmation email from

ford when I was still at the dealer. Had the dealer change the priority code to 12 which is the lowest they can assign. No production date yet wishful hoping that it’ll get picked up tomorrow and given a built week. 

Your dealer is lying to you.  They can assign priority codes between 10 and 19 if they want to.  It only impacts the orders for that dealer.  It's really an inconsequential lie at this point.

Could someone explain to me the reason somebody would want adaptive steering.

I have faith in the proven mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the wheels. Power steering goes out you can still steer, it won't be fun but you can still steer. Car manufacturers want to throw too much technology into vehicles... may be great at first but what happens when they start to get old. There's some technology you cannot get away from if you want a new vehicle, but I just don't get adding more technology to stuff that's really not needed especially when it comes to one of the most important if not the most important part of driving safety. (Well yeah...the brakes)

Just so you can turn the wheel half a turn less. I have never driven a car or truck and said man I sure wish the steering wheel didn't turn this hard  or this much( well I did have a 76 Chevy truck with no power steering and that was a mother when you were turning and not moving)

I'm not saying it's a bad idea but I'm saying it's an idea that I'm not comfortable with. To me the cons outweigh the gains.

So why are people so interested in getting this? Sell me on this adaptive steering, what am I missing?

I am asking this here because you guys have ordered it or at the least wanted it.

Thanks,

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

You won’t lose steering if adaptive steering goes out. My understanding is that it’s basically a stepper motor that adds or subtracts turns into the steering wheel before it even goes into the column. Worst case scenario in a failure is that it leaves the wheel in a funky position. 

I’m holding out for it because I’m interested in having a truck that feels more maneuverable at low speeds while having a nice stable on center feel on the highway. Lots of guys have said they like the way it feels towing, as well.