Now vehicles are going to have traffic signal connectivity?

I just read VW is laying claim to be the first to make vehicles that can interact with traffic signals.  So since VW and Ford are actively cooperating on many fronts, Ford can't be far behind. So that's how I'm justifying putting this in a Ford forum! I'm a traffic signal nut if you will.  I know when they're going to turn red and when they'll turn green.  I base my driving habits on it. Most signals today operate in loop sensor mode (not timer), where's there's sensors buried in the pavement on the main drag and the side streets. In most cases, one road will be the main drag with the highest volume, the side streets will have less volume.  They sense the presence/absence of traffic. Typically the main drag will get a 40 to 60 second green and then turn red if it detects a  noticeable absence of traffic on the main drag and/or a presence on the side street.  Sometimes it will turn red after a long green on the main drag to accommodate low mass vehicles like motorcycles on the side street. So if there are no vehicles on the side street, the side street light will stay green for only 5 to 7 seconds.  if there is traffic, the side street light will turn red 5 to 7 seconds after the last vehicle has passed through the intersection.  This works on secondary roads; you won't usually find this on a busy Main St. with a signal every block for 10 blocks.  So knowing this, I've been able to tap my brakes when my light turns red and determine by looking at side street traffic when my light is going to back to green.  I think I've had to come to a DEAD stop at a signal on a secondary road maybe 20 times in the last 30 years.  I come to slow rolls.  Yeah I get looks and beeps from guys behind me. They don't know I'm saving THEM money!  Because do you know what it takes in excess brake wear over the years to bring a 1 ton vehicle to a DEAD stop?  Do you know what it takes in extra fuel over the years to bring a 1 ton vehicle up to speed from a DEAD stop?  My last  three cars I had were supposed to get 25 MPG average; I got 31 MPG.  And one of those was a 1985 Cadillac I inherited with a 4.1 L V8!  I get 150K to 250K on a set of brakes.  I know you don't believe me.  That's ok,  you don't have to.  So now, is a guy in a VW on the side street going to screw me up now!??  Go ahead, check me out. Try it, you just might like it!  Your wallet will! 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

..... where's there's sensors buried in the pavement on the main drag and the side streets. In most cases, one road will be the main drag with the highest volume, the side streets will have less volume.  They sense the presence/absence of traffic.

There is one traffic signal on my way to work that changes the "loop" timer at 6AM...I have come to the intersection at 5:58AM and the sensor will trigger the green arrow in 5-10 seconds of coming to the light....at 6:01AM, that trigger will be upwards of 30-45 seconds.

As David Letterman often said, "Ain't technology grand!!"

Ford Explorer and Edge Plus in China have been available with C-V2X since the beginning of this year. The current feature set works in the cities of Wuxi and Changsha. Economic and Innovation - Integrated Sustainability and Financial Report 2021: Ford Motor Company

• Traffic Light Information. Transmits information on light schedules to the vehicle to give the driver alerts when a light is preparing to change
  • Green Light Notification. Counts down when a red light is preparing to turn green, making drivers aware when it’s time to accelerate
  • Red Light Violation Warning. Warns against potentially running a red light
  • Green Light Optimized Speed Advisory. Provides a recommended speed range that ideally helps the driver avoid hitting red lights altogether
  • Traffic Information Broadcast.  Notifies drivers about issues related to traffic, construction, and emergencies, suggesting new routes to save time and cut down on congestion
Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1