Where are the Mustang S650 prototypes?

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Random comment,

Ford Aus has been doing field testing on Mavericks including hybrid, so maybe the reason you

don’t see mules and prototypes is because most of the testing is done in less obvious areas……

That would be brilliant, but other than justifying FoA's continued existence what information could they get from testing there other than extreme heat? 

22 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Mustang sales are mostly suffering due to shortages from COVID. 

It is still the best selling coupe Sports car in the world the last time I checked

it is also due for a refresh which will pop sales back up again and they will sag again. 

I'd hope S650 is more than just a refresh. A refresh is what I'd call the '18MY +.  S550 needs to be more than a light facelift. And it needs to be on sale ASAP!

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That would be brilliant, but other than justifying FoA's continued existence what information could they get from testing there other than extreme heat? 

No this is more like Ford Asia Pacific doing testing at its facilities on behalf of Ford North America

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

I'd hope S650 is more than just a refresh. A refresh is what I'd call the '18MY +.  S550 needs to be more than a light facelift. And it needs to be on sale ASAP!

It’s more than a refresh, a lot of the changes are unseen changes to floor pan and hybrid batteries.

No doubt fresh sheet metal too but probably not a major departure from the current look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

What is it you want them to change?

Personally I would like a whole new design theme. I love the S550 design but it's been around for long enough at this point, it's time for something different. I'm not sure I would be excited about an evolution of S550 either, it would have to really wow me like Bronco did for me to get super excited about it. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Personally I would like a whole new design theme. I love the S550 design but it's been around for long enough at this point, it's time for something different. I'm not sure I would be excited about an evolution of S550 either, it would have to really wow me like Bronco did for me to get super excited about it. 

I agree. The S550 Mustang has been great but it's already time for something new. I think the S650 should have more retro styling cues on par with how Ford is doing with the new Bronco, such as the round headlights. The one thing about the S550 that took me a while to get used to when it was revealed, was the headlights. I had missed the round headlights from the S197 era. Would like to see that return for the S650 though I doubt it will happen, which would still be okay. However, I'm sure Ford has something up their sleeves which will surprise and please us Mustang fans. I'm looking forward to the details of the Mustang Hybrid and how much performance capability it can have.

Oh, I'm a fan of retro design too..............heck, I own 2 S197s! But the S550 moved the Mustang on with a great blend of modern with just enough retro to know without a doubt it's a Mustang!

However, S550 is an ageing design. Whilst I'd love S650 to have been a clean sheet design, I personally feel S550's bones are still a great starting point. Ideally, if they could trim some weight, that would be good (and that's probably much easier if it had of been clean sheet, so now I'm not expecting much). I'd like to see a Gen 4 Coyote. This will likely be it's last significant update. How cool would it be to see 100hp/litre? 

A hybrid is needed in my opinion. If the 8th Gen is going to be a full EV, we need a bridge and a hybrid would take that role. My preference would be a V8 with electric assist for the front wheels. There was a patent that hinted at this but my fear is no other Ford (or Lincoln) uses a V8 hybrid powertrain, so it would be quite the investment for Mustang to go it alone. A V6 hybrid as per the F150 and Aviator would be cool though,  but the V8 hybrid would be like having your cake and eating it calorie free!!!

The Mach 1 is the pinnacle of S550's for me. I'd like to see the S650 GT use the suspension and gearbox (both Tremec manual and the revised 10-speed auto) of the Mach 1. A light refresh of the interior would also be welcome. Keep the currently twin binnacle design, but improve the plastics and leather and give the Premium trim a 10 or 12" console screen. Make the 8" standard (getting rid of the frankly useless 4" screen and button that look like an 80's calculator!). 

In terms of exterior design, a full sheet metal redesign, just moving with the times to keep it fresh. Think of the change from the '09 S197 to the '10 S197. 

S650 could be the last ICE Mustang, so it needs to go out on a high.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever styling Ford chooses for the next Mustang, it has to be attractive and have enough

difference from the version it replaces to get buyers back in the showroom buying it but this

time it’s mission is a little different, it will be the last ICE Mustang…..think about that.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Oh, I'm a fan of retro design too..............heck, I own 2 S197s! But the S550 moved the Mustang on with a great blend of modern with just enough retro to know without a doubt it's a Mustang!

S650 could be the last ICE Mustang, so it needs to go out on a high.

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Whatever styling Ford chooses for the next Mustang, it has to be attractive and have enough

difference from the version it replaces to get buyers back in the showroom buying it but this

time it’s mission is a little different, it will be the last ICE Mustang…..think about that.

I agree 100% with both of you on everything said. I'm sure Ford will do the S650 Mustang right and may even surprise us with what they have planned as well.

• Like 3

So I had a thought-what are the chances that the Mach E could be built at Flat Rock with the Mustang?

Primary reason it’s built in Mexico is they have better trade agreements with the EU, since the

Mach E is a compliance car there. It’s currently limited by battery production that should be increased in the next few years. 

If demand keeps rising and the MME sells 50-75k units alone a year in the US, it would make sense that it and the next gen BEV Mustang should be built at the same plant, since I’d assume they share the same platform. 

I don’t think it would have a problem with the height limitations at FRAP either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

So I had a thought-what are the chances that the Mach E could be built at Flat Rock with the Mustang?

Primary reason it’s built in Mexico is they have better trade agreements with the EU, since the

Mach E is a compliance car there. It’s currently limited by battery production that should be increased in the next few years. 

If demand keeps rising and the MME sells 50-75k units alone a year in the US, it would make sense that it and the next gen BEV Mustang should be built at the same plant, since I’d assume they share the same platform. 

I don’t think it would have a problem with the height limitations at FRAP either. 

Perhaps at some point in the future MME and Mustang EV might both be built at Flat Rock, but in the immediate future it would seem more likely that other EV products will join MME in Mexico (for example the rumored Lincoln EV riding under MME sheet metal pictured elsewhere on the forum). Since all the supply chain is already in place in Mexico for MME, it makes complete sense that the next products off its chassis (including next gen chassis) would be built there in the short term. Longer term, OAC gets its MEB products, and perhaps Flat Rock comes into play in that time frame. Can't help but think that the location of Ford's JV battery plants will have an impact on which plants get EV products - proximity has to be considered, as freight costs are a significant variable that must be managed well going forward.

30 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Mark Fields announced it shortly before he was canned, then the plan changed when the decision was made to nix Fiesta to move it to where it is now. 

That’s right there was a big expansion planned for FRAP just for EVs a few years ago.

32 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Mark Fields announced it shortly before he was canned, then the plan changed when the decision was made to nix Fiesta to move it to where it is now. 

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. Then perhaps they'll use FRAP as a 2nd Mach-E plant based on future battery supply and sales and use the existing plant primarily for Mach-E exports. Mach-E could also possibly share FRAP BEV production with another vehicle that shares the same chassis or whatever the next generation Mach-E will use. Ford probably knows what they're planning but won't reveal anything until they're ready, etc.  

• Like 1