Extended Warranty / Maintenance Plans - Worth it?

sagosto

I typically never consider extended warranty for a new car but Aviator quality is a mixed bag right now ;)

The dealer sent me a document with limited details so curious if anyone heard of it:

Coverage Details Portfolio VSC - NEW (PSL01141) - Plan B Exclusionary 96 Months Term 100,000 Mileage 100.00 Deductible $2,960.00 Price

Coverage Details REVBUNF - Axiom Revolution Bundle - Pro R2 $1,746 (I THINK 7 years)

Prepaid Maintenance 36 Months Term 40,000 Miles Mileage $485.00   

All scheduled maintenance services as required by the manufacturer that are listed in the vehicle manual. Commonly includes Oil changes, Filters, Belts, plugs, øuids, etc.

I would only consider Fords ESP (extended service plan). Shop on line … there a few Ford dealers that will sell on-line at very discounted prices and I have found when negotiating on a new Ford/ Lincoln your dealer will match or beat the price on your deal.

I have done this on a 2015 F150 and on a 2018 Navigator Black Label (both were new).  Somewhat pricy but if you check out cost of parts and repairs on these new hi-tech rolling computer networks many single failure possibilities could exceed the ESP cost.….. and should you sell or trade before expiration, it can be transferred to new owner or you can get a rebate on the unused portion.

Edited by LHB
Additional information

19 hours ago, sagosto said:

I typically never consider extended warranty for a new car but Aviator quality is a mixed bag right now ;)

The dealer sent me a document with limited details so curious if anyone heard of it:

Coverage Details Portfolio VSC - NEW (PSL01141) - Plan B Exclusionary 96 Months Term 100,000 Mileage 100.00 Deductible $2,960.00 Price

Coverage Details REVBUNF - Axiom Revolution Bundle - Pro R2 $1,746 (I THINK 7 years)

Prepaid Maintenance 36 Months Term 40,000 Miles Mileage $485.00   

All scheduled maintenance services as required by the manufacturer that are listed in the vehicle manual. Commonly includes Oil changes, Filters, Belts, plugs, øuids, etc.

Hi sagosto. There are many existing threads about this, so I will suggest you go here: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=New_Used_Cpo_Lincoln_Protect

And here: https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrNWV_Yz38QIVD4bICh2MKAebEAAYASAAEgKIEfD_BwE

You can work up the prices online or call them.

Work up apples to apples LincolnProtect ESP Plans and LincolCare Maintenance Plans, for the same coverage you are being offered by your Dealer. What I can tell you is I have extensively shopped both my local Lincoln/Ford Dealers and online for my last 4 Lincolns, and Zeigler consistently offered the lowest prices. Flood Ford was always next lowest.

You do not need to purchase the ESP or Maintenance Plans from your Lincoln Dealer. And you can find many other online Lincoln/Ford Dealers that offer online sales by simply Googling "online Lincoln ESP sellers".

Be sure you work up apples to apples comparisons for the coverage and coverage limits you need. For example, no need to pay for 8years/100,000 miles if you will not drive 100,000 mile in 8 years or sell your cars every 5 years. Yes, you can offer it as an incentive to the next buyer, but only if you sell privately> And you still will not get back what you paid. So get a Lincoln Protect Plan with the the mileage and number of years you need.

Let us know how you make  out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Never felt the need to buy one until lately.  There is just too much problematic "stuff" on these newer vehicles supplied by the lowest bidders. If you plan on keeping yours beyond the initial warranty period, one moonroof or turbo claim issue can repay your cost.  

FWIW,  we bought our ESP (on the Aviator) through Ziegler and it showed up right away on the Lincoln app.  The ESP (on my Expedition) was bought through Flood and has never linked up to our Ford Pass app.  I'm sure Ford has records; but just in case, I carry copy of the paperwork in glovebox.

3 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi sagosto. There are many existing threads about this, so I will suggest you go here: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=New_Used_Cpo_Lincoln_Protect

And here: https://www.floodfordesp.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrNWV_Yz38QIVD4bICh2MKAebEAAYASAAEgKIEfD_BwE

You can work up the prices online or call them.

Work up apples to apples LincolnProtect ESP Plans and LincolCare Maintenance Plans, for the same coverage you are being offered by your Dealer. What I can tell you is I have extensively shopped both my local Lincoln/Ford Dealers and online for my last 4 Lincolns, and Zeigler consistently offered the lowest prices. Flood Ford was always next lowest.

You do not need to purchase the ESP or Maintenance Plans from your Lincoln Dealer. And you can find many other online Lincoln/Ford Dealers that offer online sales by simply Googling "online Lincoln ESP sellers".

Be sure you work up apples to apples comparisons for the coverage and coverage limits you need. For example, no need to pay for 8years/100,000 miles if you will not drive 100,000 mile in 8 years or sell your cars every 5 years. Yes, you can offer it as an incentive to the next buyer, but only if you sell privately> And you still will not get back what you paid. So get a Lincoln Protect Plan with the the mileage and number of years you need.

Let us know how you make  out and good luck.

Fantastic info. It is odd that the Lincoln Dealer didn't offer LincolnProtect? They did say it is the same as the existing warranty and extended to from 4/50 to 8/100. For Zeigler, the 8/100 on the most expensive PremiumCare is $1,640 vs. $2,960 for the dealer's 3rd party. I have to go through the maintenance schedule to see if it's worth it. 

8 100,000 PC8100D2 $3,065 / $1,640

1 hour ago, sagosto said:

Fantastic info. It is odd that the Lincoln Dealer didn't offer LincolnProtect? They did say it is the same as the existing warranty and extended to from 4/50 to 8/100. For Zeigler, the 8/100 on the most expensive PremiumCare is $1,640 vs. $2,960 for the dealer's 3rd party. I have to go through the maintenance schedule to see if it's worth it. 

8 100,000 PC8100D2 $3,065 / $1,640

Hi sagosto. You were offered Lincoln Protect by your Lincoln Dealer.  It is the Lincoln Protect PremiumCare Plan.

Lincoln Protect is the name of the Lincoln ESP program (Extended Service Plan).

"PremiumCare" is the simply name of the most comprehensive, top level of Lincoln Protect.

Lincoln Protect has 4 levels of coverage contracts. There is PowertrainCare, BaseCare, ExtraCare and the top level PremiumCare.

Take a look here: https://lincolnprotect.lincoln.com/extended-service-plan

Also, no matter what a Salesperson (or anyone) told you, no Extended Service Plan, including the excellent Lincoln Protect PremiuCare Plan, is the same as the 4 years/50,000 miles New Vehicle Warranty. Not everything covered under the New Vehicle Warranty is covered with an ESP. Not even with the top level PremiuCare Plan. So carefully read the website links I posted previously to see what is actually covered (and what is not). And carefully read the actual contract before signing, so you don't get surprised later.

It is also explained on the Zeigler website, if you take a look around.

Hope that makes it more understandable.

Concerning the Maintenance Contract (LincolnCare): Read the Maintenance Schedule in your Owner Manual (as you stated). And how many miles do you normally drive annually?

In my opinion...Unless you put many miles on your car per year and will need brake jobs and other major maintenance every 2-3 years, it is not worth it.

Generally speaking...Oil changes/tire rotations (1 year/10,000 miles) and wiper changes are all that is really called for the first few years (until you get to the point of a Coolant flush and fill etc.).

Again, unless you put on a lot of miles per year.

Even if you change your oil more often, it will still be far less expensive to pay out of pocket than buy a Maintenance Plan.

But again, read your Maintenance Schedule, take your annual mileage into consideration, and decide what is best for you.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

What was received in the mail appearing to come from your dealer is likely NOT from your dealer at all, but is junk sent by people whom monitor new car registrations at the DMV and make it appear as dealer provided.  There is no Ford plan called “Axiom Revolution Bundle”.  

Look into Ziegler, Flood, or ANDERSON & Koch (Jeremy Klund) online for actual Ford/Lincoln warranties and maintenance plans.  We bought a 0 deductible 100,000 mile warranty and 8 year maintenance plan from Jeremy Klund at ANDERSON & Koch. They were reasonably priced and he was very helpful.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sagosto said:

That was sent from the dealer which makes me wonder why they are not using the manufacturers programs 

Hi sagosto. If it was actually sent by your Lincoln Dealer, then the answer is what akirby stated.

Use the sites that have been recommended to you by myself and others to price shop, compare and purchase an actual Lincoln Protect Plan.

Also keep in mind: If that is the case, they have been dishonest with you twice. First, misrepresenting an aftermarket ESP as being a Lincoln Protect ESP Plan. And second, misrepresenting what they are selling as "...the same as the existing warranty and extended...from 4/50 to 8/100.", when it is not and does not.

Edited by bbf2530

13 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi sagosto. If it was actually sent by your Lincoln Dealer, then the answer is what akirby stated.

Use the sites that have been recommended to you by myself and others to price shop, compare and purchase an actual Lincoln Protect Plan.

Also keep in mind: If that is the case, they have been dishonest with you twice. First, misrepresenting an aftermarket ESP as being a Lincoln Protect ESP Plan. Ans second misrepresenting what they are selling as "...the same as the existing warranty and extended...from 4/50 to 8/100.", when it is not and does not.

Thanks for all the helpful info. The quote above for Lincoln maintenance plan was from Ziegler's online site which is about 50% less than the 3rd party one offered by my dealer:

I will check out the dealers above and call a few local dealers but they will always low ball. :) As mentioned above, $0 deductible ($50?) seems to be the best deal given the price increase is paid for with a single visit. With that said, I have the Grand Touring and I didn't notice any option to select by trim so I assumed it doesn't matter. Lastly, I drive about 10K miles per year so I will skip maintenance for the reasons you mentioned.

35 minutes ago, sagosto said:

Thanks for all the helpful info. The quote above for Lincoln maintenance plan was from Ziegler's online site which is about 50% less than the 3rd party one offered by my dealer:

I will check out the dealers above and call a few local dealers but they will always low ball. :) As mentioned above, $0 deductible ($50?) seems to be the best deal given the price increase is paid for with a single visit. With that said, I have the Grand Touring and I didn't notice any option to select by trim so I assumed it doesn't matter. Lastly, I drive about 10K miles per year so I will skip maintenance for the reasons you mentioned.

Hi sagosto. Yes, trim level alone does not usually make a difference in cost. If it did, they would ask the question.

And I chose the $0 deductible for my LincolnProtect Plan for the same reason as you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...