Chip update

22 minutes ago, Tremordreaming said:

I talked to our VP/GM earlier this morning and he informed me that the dealership has signed up for accepting vehicles from Ford that the dealership will complete by installing the microchips that Ford will send. He agreed with me about anticipating a logistics nightmare and having either the wrong chips, missing chips and/or misidentified chips to deal with, etc. Right now, they have no idea when they'll start receiving vehicles.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I talked to our VP/GM earlier this morning and he informed me that the dealership has signed up for accepting vehicles from Ford that the dealership will complete by installing the microchips that Ford will send. He agreed with me about anticipating a logistics nightmare and having either the wrong chips, missing chips and/or misidentified chips to deal with, etc. Right now, they have no idea when they'll start receiving vehicles.  

So I’m sure no one knows until they start shipping and arriving on lots but do you think this means trucks being built right now as well? When looking at fords online tracker for my MY22 F350 it specifies estimated “dealer” delivery. Could that also be what’s holding up window stickers? That these trucks technically aren’t completed. Such a nightmare this virus has caused 

2 hours ago, harmacist said:

So I’m sure no one knows until they start shipping and arriving on lots but do you think this means trucks being built right now as well? When looking at fords online tracker for my MY22 F350 it specifies estimated “dealer” delivery. Could that also be what’s holding up window stickers? That these trucks technically aren’t completed. Such a nightmare this virus has caused 

I doubt this has anything to do with the Window Sticker availability issue for the Super Duty's.

7 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Perhaps it won't be that bad.

Using bar code readers the truck could be identified, then the missing components listed and identified. These would be tossed into the truck along with floor mats, hub caps and all the rest. Maybe 5 minutes per truck at most?

At least that's the way I'd do it. I sure wouldn't separate parts from the vehicle by shipping UPS.  

On Edit: I just carefully read the article. Oh hell no.... separating parts from trucks by distance AND time?  

Edited by Radio

2 hours ago, BrickHouse said:

The only possible logical reason would be to get trucks sitting on dealer lots instead of the speedway. Gives something for buyers to at least look at and helps bring bodies in the door. 

If the dealer has 100 trucks sitting at the factory they can’t sell them.  If they have 100 sitting on their lot and 20 modules, they can sell any 20 out of the 100 trucks this week, and another 20 next week as they get more chips and so on.  Yes it might turn into a logistics nightmare but to me it’s a better option than having nothing to sell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Radio said:

Using bar code readers the truck could be identified, then the missing components listed and identified. These would be tossed into the truck along with floor mats, hub caps and all the rest. Maybe 5 minutes per truck at most?

Thats how it's done at the plant level across the industry. That's why when a new car comes off the truck there's so many barcode stickers on it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, akirby said:

If the dealer has 100 trucks sitting at the factory they can’t sell them.  If they have 100 sitting on their lot and 20 modules, they can sell any 20 out of the 100 trucks this week, and another 20 next week as they get more chips and so on.  Yes it might turn into a logistics nightmare but to me it’s a better option than having nothing to sell.

Is this approach being applied just to inventory orders, or is this the m.o. for retail/customer orders, as well? Will my special order SuperDuty show up at the dealer complete, or incomplete, and still needing parts installed?

Edited by Latebraking

1 hour ago, Latebraking said:

Is this approach being applied just to inventory orders, or is this the m.o. for retail/customer orders, as well? Will my special order SuperDuty show up at the dealer complete, or incomplete, and still needing parts installed?

I would think this would apply to the 2021 trucks that currently sit in storage lots with the possibility of newer orders following suite if need be as they catch up on the 2021 orders. 

1 hour ago, succeed23 said:

@ice-capadesor @akirby

Can you confirm that the process is that dealers have to opt-in to receive these trucks?

My sales guy told me he isn't sure if my truck has all the chips. I told him that I was tracking that dealers needed to opt-in to receive incomplete trucks, but he told me my information was incorrect.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:58 AM, ice-capades said:

I talked to our VP/GM earlier this morning and he informed me that the dealership has signed up for accepting vehicles

Sure sounds like they have to opt in.

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

Sure sounds like they have to opt in.

Yea. Here's the response I got from another dealer: "you are correct...we needed to opt in to receive the trucks without chips...there was an insurance issue that was resolved today with Ford...those that dont sign the opt in would receive their vehicles later...they will ship the chips modules to the dealers who opt in b4 they fix the trucks sitting at the plant."

I hate being the guy with the dealer who doesn't know the right information. He's really confident that I don't know what I'm talking about too. Hot mess.

21 minutes ago, succeed23 said:

Yea. Here's the response I got from another dealer: "you are correct...we needed to opt in to receive the trucks without chips...there was an insurance issue that was resolved today with Ford...those that dont sign the opt in would receive their vehicles later...they will ship the chips modules to the dealers who opt in b4 they fix the trucks sitting at the plant."

I hate being the guy with the dealer who doesn't know the right information. He's really confident that I don't know what I'm talking about too. Hot mess.

Sad thing is they will probably go opt in and not tell you that you were right, then pretend the trucks and modules just started showing up.  

Sounds like something my dealer would do.  Lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Simple. said:

Sad thing is they will probably go opt in and not tell you that you were right, then pretend the trucks and modules just started showing up.  

Sounds like something my dealer would do.  Lol

Sad but funny and likely true too. I hope this market has taught all of us a listen about dealers. I used to think they were all bad, but I seen the good really shine among all the bad ones out there. We'll all be smarter the next purchase. ??

• Like 3