GM sues Ford for "BlueCruise" name

27 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Any time there is active litigation involved with a project, timelines, tasks, and resources for that project are modified.

Worst case they’re forced to use a different name.   Zero effect on product development.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayXJ said:

Eh, brands use the same names for trim levels often - i.e. generic ones like Platinum, Limited, XL, EL, etc.   While the timing after the cruise naming issue seems weird, I think "Pro" likely falls under that category of trim levels that seems to be ok to copy.   Now if they called it "Sierra Lightning" or "Sierra Lightning Pro", that'd be different, as something like "Lightning" likely falls under a naming trademark.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Eh, brands use the same names for trim levels often - i.e. generic ones like Platinum, Limited, XL, EL, etc.   While the timing after the cruise naming issue seems weird, I think "Pro" likely falls under that category of trim levels that seems to be ok to copy.   Now if they called it "Sierra Lightning" or "Sierra Lightning Pro", that'd be different, as something like "Lightning" likely falls under a naming trademark.

That’s a distinction without a difference.  The term “cruise” has been synonymous with assisted driving for as long I can remember by many different manufacturers , so I can’t understand how GM thinks they can adopt the term as their own.  

1 hour ago, tbone said:

That’s a distinction without a difference.  The term “cruise” has been synonymous with assisted driving for as long I can remember by many different manufacturers , so I can’t understand how GM thinks they can adopt the term as their own.  

I agree GM shouldn't be able to use "cruise" on its own as a trademark.  "SuperCruise" sure.  That is a name.  "Cruise" is too generic in my eyes.........even some names/brands become generic i.e. Kleenex, or Xerox, but even if people use those generically, they're still names/brands.  It's not as if GM had the "cruise" name trademarked forever.

Edited by rmc523