12,400GVWR too much for insurance?!?

Hello all, I have been lurking around for awhile but this is my first post. Thanks in advance for all the information I have gotten from this forum. On to the question:

I just ordered a ‘22 F350 8’ crew King Ranch. I asked the dealer about the GVWR options for 11,400 and 10,000 and they did not know much about them. So I left it alone and the build came out with 12,400GVWR which I think is standard for the 6.7 diesel? Anyways, I tried to quote it with my auto insurance and they said no can do if GVWR is over 12,000. Has anyone ever encountered this? I have a lightweight conventional travel trailer now but hope to move up to a large/mid size 5er someday. Should I shop around for insurance willing to cover the GVWR or go to the 11,400gvwr option? BTW…..I am a commercial driver for the last 20yrs hauling fuel and have a class “A” but don’t want to need it for my personal rig. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

—Jon

your state may classify it as a commercial vehicle.  That's why the GVWR options are available, to bypass the commercial status.  Check with Secretary of State and if it's a legal requirement, changing insurance companies won't help.  If it's an insurance company response, then shopping around may help.

This is kind of interesting. In AZ all the trucks seem to be ordered with the 11,400 package, so i thought this was standard and the 10000 was the option. When searching for a truck and looking in Texas, the 12,400 was standard and I finally figured out that F350 came standard with the 12,400 unless another was selected. I went with the 12,400 and I hope I don't have an issue with insurance. In AZ, it is my understanding, that all F350's are considered commercial.

My dealer put mine at 11,900 (as you can see by my pic in the thread on 350 gvwr)

The build truck website gives the option for 10k or 11,400.

Is your truck a dwr or srw?

So, is 11,900 the max for srw or is it just for the 7.3?

And is the 11,900 specific for NC, and 11,400 for others? Confusing for me.

4 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

My dealer put mine at 11,900 (as you can see by my pic in the thread on 350 gvwr)

The build truck website gives the option for 10k or 11,400.

Is your truck a dwr or srw?

So, is 11,900 the max for srw or is it just for the 7.3?

And is the 11,900 specific for NC, and 11,400 for others? Confusing for me.

SRW 6.7 F350 CC LB 4X4

According to the 2022 Tow Guide, the only SRW trucks that have a GVWR options at or above 12,000 lbs are the CCLB 6.7's with 18" Tires (12,000 lbs) and the CCLB 6.7 with 18"/20" All Terrain and 20" All season tires (12,400).  The rest of the SRW trucks are no more than 11,500, unless derated. I just wanted to clarify this. 

See page 11:  https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/towing-guides/2022_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf

7 hours ago, cjrazus1 said:

My 22 KR Ultimate CC DRW 4x4 order states “14,000 GVWR Package” Is that not normal?  You guys are getting me worried.  I didn’t specifically order that. 

That's the only option it appears from the towing guide for the F-350 and F-450 DRW's.  That will have to be something you check with your insurance company and also DMV for registering.  

There are a couple of "de-rate" GVWR packages when you order. If you do not select one of these you get the door stickers with the full GVWR which is dependent on the model you choose. 14k is normal for a dually, 12,400 normal for a 350 srw diesel, 10,800 for an f250 high capacity. 

There are various reasons for selecting a derate option, pretty much all political. Either a state law about licensing, state insurance regulation, state registration laws. It doesn't change the actual truck but allows owners to skirt these legalities legally so to speak.

It is important to know your local regulations and insurance requirements when ordering. It is also important to be honest about your intended use and your personal comfort level if you intend to load the truck up beyond the stickered rating. Some will not haul their RV if it is over the stickered numbers as they believe there is a risk or potential legal consequence to this. If you haul commercially the rules are different yet and you are likely to be checked. The insurance company and local DMV know what your GVWR is by the VIN. 

So IF you choose a derate package understand the advantages and disadvantages to doing so. Likewise if you choose an F350, dually or F450. You may end up with costs and restrictions you did not anticipate when on the quest to meet the sticker numbers to haul your load. 

My derated F350 will keep me under CDL requirements and lower my registration costs. I personally do not care what the sticker says or if I exceed it some, nobody will ever actually weigh it but me, and I do not subscribe to the idea of "legal ramifications" should I be over the stickered number hauling an RV. Do your research, make your choices. I love that Ford offers me the option to have a 10k rated F350.

• Like 3