1/2 ton pickup guys always..........

I didn't know if you guys get comments like this here and there.

I always seem to run into "THAT" guy at work or in the campground that says "Oh, my truck (f150 or 1500)can tow that" or "I can tow 10, 11k with my truck"

I don't know about you guys but when I put 10/11k pounds behind the dually or my k3500 or even worse the f250(which don't have anymore) .....you can feel it.

Sometimes heading up or down the mountain in the rain when it's windy/heavy storming ect. I can really feel the pressure I'm putting on the truck keeping her safe 

I could not imagine dragging a 10 to 13,000 lb camper through the mountains with a half ton truck. I would be a nervous wreck by the time I got to wherever I was going..

You couldn't pay me to tow a 13000 lb camper with a half ton truck.

Screenshot_20210725-082638_Office Mobile.jpg

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Living in vacationland I see badly overburdened rigs all the time. Lots of people going right to the max with their tow vehicles, and probably beyond. I am in the "not for me" camp having an F350 srw on order. I prefer having a decent capability cushion most of the time. It is pretty amazing the capability of new trucks though. My co worker just picked up an F-150 3.5 eco boost because it is way more comfortable daily and will easily handle his 7000lb camper.  He knows better than to try and compare it to a super duty though... 

• Like 2

Hello,

I owned a 202 F150 with max towing package. I have an 8500# Trailer and live in the PNW. Going over the passes was quite a chore. I had it porpoise alot and go side to side. I used to have a Silverado with more stability. I upped my truck from the F150 to an F250. What a difference. I am glad I did. No porpoising or little side to side motion. Drove in a storm over Snoqualmie pass with 30-40 mph winds and the F250 handled it flawlessly. The F150 is best for 10,000 lb towing for straight, level ground (like the Central Valley in Calif.)

Couple things making it confusing for you. The reason the gas F250/350 is "only" 15k conventional is because the 2.5" hitch used is limited to 15k, the diesels get a 3" and are rated for 20k. It isn't necessarily the truck that is the limiting factor.

In gooseneck towing the F250/350 easily surpasses the F150's capacity by up to 3 tons in a gasser and more in a diesel. 

Look at the actual max tow numbers on the page I shot. This is a more accurate reflection of the differences than cherry picking through the charts. There is no doubt though, the F150 is a workin machine anymore.

Screenshot (5).png

In my 2015 F-150 I regularly towed right at the max rating and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.  Towing anything heavy requires an appropriate level of respect and focus.  I wouldn't say it was stressful, but it also wasn't a leisurely Sunday drive.  Obviously towing well below the limits is more comfortable, but when my F-350 arrives I'd have no problem pushing it to it's max rating either.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for clarifying that mountain. So...the max tow rating I am seeing is just a numbers thing....not the actual truck limit. Insurance? Or DOT thing? Both?

Makes sense though.....my f350 dually utility bed has a cargo capacity of 4000lbs. But I have 1k in tooling back there and have loaded 6.5k of weight in the back and the springs still have more travel before the bumpers.

too many people focus on tow weight, but with a 1/2T & to a lesser extent, 3/4T, payload capacity is often the limiting factor.  There are many components that are affected by tow and payload.  One of the biggest is tires.  I could not believe the improvement towing with my F150 after I put on "E" truck tires.  It is a completely different vehicle while towing.

For the weight police, I wouldn't hesitate to tow up to mfg max recommendations, HOWEVER, the closer one is to the max, or even over, the less fun the drive  I've heard one rule of thumb is 3/4 capacity, and that's probably not bad number for inexperienced drivers towing heavy trailers.

• Like 2

Road Turtle nailed it, on a single rear wheel it is tires limiting payload which affects gooseneck pin weight. I am having my truck built with the 10k GVWR pkg to skirt a crazy Colorado law. Doesn't mean the truck is any different than the higher rated version but it allows me to avoid issues with the law when hauling equipment and materials for friends, which I do now and then. Manufacturers have to set limits that protect them from liability. Lots of things come into play. 

So.....14k on a f150 is paper max or actual max?

(If you say it can actually tow more than that safely without ripping out the rear end or pushing the truck down the road in case of trailer brake failure, my mind will totally be blown)?

I like the idea of my truck being able to handle and stop the load even if the trailer brakes were to go (broken wire, solenoid failure ect ect)

What would a 2022 f350 7.3 long bed srw crew cab 4x4 actually tow (hitch pull and goose) safely and handle well.

My point with bring up the whole "f150 guys....blah...blah" is that a chevy LUV truck can pull a 20,000 lb trailer.....but pulling is the smallest part of that equation. Which when I see a solo truck and trailer accident on the interstate it's usually a 1/2 ton truck and a large trailer and a guy standing there wondering how in the world that happened?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Payload is an issue w half tons but even bigger limiting /related factor is rear GAWR. Unless your pulling a boat with no pin weight or NH3 trailer with r & r axles there is no way u can pull 10,000 plus without exceeding rear axle #. 3/4 tons especially loaded diesels will often have similar or slightly higher payload sticker #, they will have much higher rear axle GAWR #. So pending how weight is carried, you will have more flexibility. And given full floater vs not... far more real world strength in the hd axle. 

• Like 1

I think if the 1/2 ton guys want to brag up their capability, you just let them. I have owned over a dozen pick-ups and only one 1/2 ton, a Raptor. I went back to an F250 because, even thought he Raptor was an incredible machine I like having the ability to actually work my trucks. If they think their 1/2 ton will pull with your F-350, just let them wallow in that crazy notion. 

There is no doubt they have all come a long way. It wasn't that long ago a Dana 44 was standard fare in the front of a 3/4 ton truck, now that is standard in my wifes Jeep and the Super 60 is in the front of my F250. Calling them 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons is a misnomer anymore as they can now carry 2-3 times those numbers easy. The new F-150 is a great machine for the weekend warrior. It will easily tow what most people need to tow for recreational purposes. Once you start looking at regularly working your truck the Super Duty trucks make a whole lot more sense. 

• Like 2

Like others have said is the payload is maxed out real quick.

The other thing is with a camper, the side load from wind, and way on travel trailers is huge.  They may be fine with a dump trailer with 10k of gravel, but a 35-40' travel trailer weight 10k, is a lot different story.

• Like 1

The half ton guys really need to pay attention to the Payload Numbers rather than Towing Capacity. You will most likely go over on Payload before Max Towing Numbers. They also need to consider the legal aspect of being overloaded and getting in an accident.

I have decided to go with a F-250 for my safety and peace of mind knowing that I have a truck is more than capable of my payload and towing needs.  

• Like 1

On 7/25/2021 at 11:19 AM, bshort said:

The weight weenies are always lurking......

Pulling since 2008. Upgrading to F-250 because the truck is 15 years old with 210,000 miles and now I'm retired. Planning to more than just week at a time stuff.
You just have to do the math. 

20201016_131114_HDR small.jpg

On 7/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, Garrett2002 said:

The half ton guys really need to pay attention to the Payload Numbers rather than Towing Capacity. You will most likely go over on Payload before Max Towing Numbers. They also need to consider the legal aspect of being overloaded and getting in an accident.

I have decided to go with a F-250 for my safety and peace of mind knowing that I have a truck is more than capable of my payload and towing needs.  

Please show us an actual example of the legal ramifications of getting into an accident over the recommended  payload numbers. I believe this to be a fictitious concern.

• Like 1

Long before max towing is reached, they will run out of payload and axle rating. I know with my Tacoma. Why I've ordered a 350. Any half ton with options has depleted payload. Used 150 ccsb Lariat in dealer showroom only had #1465 payload. My Taco has #1200. Pull a trailer back and forth across country. CAT scales let me know about my overage. the trailer is 5700 gvw. we run loaded with a lot of toys. Most people won't check their rig on a CAT scale while fully loaded for a trip. I think MANY would be way over payload and/or axle ratings. Can't wait for my build! Wishing speedy builds for all those waiting.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:39 PM, Mountain Super Duty said:

Please show us an actual example of the legal ramifications of getting into an accident over the recommended  payload numbers. I believe this to be a fictitious concern.

If you have doubts of what I am stating you should consult your insurance provider and ask if you'll be covered in an accident if you knowingly exceed your GVWR or payload and are involved in an accident. You'll find out if its fictitious or not.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Garrett2002 said:

If you have doubts of what I am stating you should consult your insurance provider and ask if you'll be covered in an accident if you knowingly exceed your GVWR or payload and are involved in an accident. You'll find out if its fictitious or not.  

How would an insurance provider prove you "knowingly" exceeded GVWR, unless you told on yourself.  I would assume that they'd just deny the claim for whatever reason and let the individual prove otherwise.