2017 escape door bottom rust

markfnc

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 6:54 AM, markfnc said:

I'm in NC not rust belt.  this has occurred over past few months.  what is going on?  How can i "fix" it? do you sand and paint with touch up paint?  the drain look clear. 56,000 miles 

Hi markfnc. Sorry for the late response, but did not see your thread until today.  A portion of that rust is pretty bad and could certainly be considered "rust through".  Is your Escape still within the rust warranty (5 years/unlimited mileage)? I would make a service appointment ASAP to see if it would be covered under warranty. If you are within the 5 year limitation, it certainly should be.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi markfnc. Sorry for the late response, but did not see your thread until today.  A portion of that rust is pretty bad and could certainly be considered "rust through".  Is your Escape still within the rust warranty (5 years/unlimited mileage)? I would make a service appointment ASAP to see if it would be covered under warranty. If you are within the 5 year limitation, it certainly should be.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Mine is 2017, so should be under warranty.  I've just sent pictures to my service rep where i bought and take it. 

On an escape forum they said to get fluid film rust corrosion spray.  spray inside of weep hole on both sides, then steel wool and sand rust spots on exterior, then a rust inhibitor touch up paint, followed by color matching paint. 

I was rear ended by an F350 last week, so taking into a body shop tomorrow for an estimate.  I was going to ask them about it, but warranty no out of pockets would be best. Thanks

50 minutes ago, markfnc said:

Mine is 2017, so should be under warranty.  I've just sent pictures to my service rep where i bought and take it. 

On an escape forum they said to get fluid film rust corrosion spray.  spray inside of weep hole on both sides, then steel wool and sand rust spots on exterior, then a rust inhibitor touch up paint, followed by color matching paint. 

I was rear ended by an F350 last week, so taking into a body shop tomorrow for an estimate.  I was going to ask them about it, but warranty no out of pockets would be best. Thanks

Hi markfnc. Just my personal opinion here: Unless you are very familiar with your Service Rep, I would advise you stop by to show the rust and speak with them personally. It is harder to say "No" to a living/breathing face than it is to an an Email/Text.

Looking at the top photo, that lower door panel/seam appears to be partially eaten away, towards the rear of the door, which means you are past the point of simply steel wool, sanding, rust inhibitor, touch up paint etc. They will be temporary band-aids, which will only hide it for a while, until it reappears.

That is the area I am describing as fitting the definition of "rust through". That is important to point out to your Service Rep, since it then fits the warranty requirements for replacement/repair.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 12:09 PM, bbf2530 said:

Hi markfnc. Just my personal opinion here: Unless you are very familiar with your Service Rep, I would advise you stop by to show the rust and speak with them personally. It is harder to say "No" to a living/breathing face than it is to an an Email/Text.

Looking at the top photo, that lower door panel/seam appears to be partially eaten away, towards the rear of the door, which means you are past the point of simply steel wool, sanding, rust inhibitor, touch up paint etc. They will be temporary band-aids, which will only hide it for a while, until it reappears.

That is the area I am describing as fitting the definition of "rust through". That is important to point out to your Service Rep, since it then fits the warranty requirements for replacement/repair.

service rep I've been taking it to, said to bring it by and they would submit to ford. they need to take pictures, not just mine.  going tomorrow 

4 hours ago, markfnc said:

service rep I've been taking it to, said to bring it by and they would submit to ford. they need to take pictures, not just mine.  going tomorrow 

Hi mafkfnc. Yes, the Dealer Service Department almost always needs to submit photos for this type of warranty work nowadays. Ford may even require a physical inspection, at some point before repair begins.

He had me come by today and they took their own pictures, and will send onto Ford.  I should hear back early next week.   Thanks for replies. 

Had small block replaced with the coolant leaking into cylinders issue (under warranty)

rear ended by F350 last week, so getting rear bumper etc. replaced soon, now this door rust.  

• 5 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 2:02 PM, markfnc said:

Denied by Ford.  Not rusted thru.  

It's strange that they refused, it's a pity
I had a similar situation - a swollen seam sealant on the lower edge of the driver's door, and then rust. But by this time my warranty had already expired (7 years had passed) and I think it was my own fault because for a long time in the winter after trips I didn’t wash my car

• 3 months later...

I completely agree with the guys about the service, especially if you have not exceeded 5 years. Because it can be not very expensive, but rather expensive repair procedure. But if time has passed and you are denied repairs, for example, as in my van from simcasts, which has similar rust, I spray the inside of the door in the seam and around the adge of the door Fluid Film. This seems to have kept him in fear for several years.