F250 Payload Capacity

Dealer had a stock order get delivered for a F250D.  I'm still waiting for the window sticker, but I was set on F350D.  I'm getting a 30' 5th wheel with a GVWR of 13,400, loaded pin weight unknown, but it also carries about 200 gallons total in all three tanks.  I expect the bed and pass compartment to be full.

I know the F350D SRW will tow just about everything except monster 5ers, with this one being smaller, will I still be ok, or getting into max cargo capacity?

Update: It does have high capacity option

Edited by road turtle
new info

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

Dealer had a stock order get delivered for a F250D.  I'm still waiting for the window sticker, but I was set on F350D.  I'm getting a 30' 5th wheel with a GVWR of 13,400, loaded pin weight unknown, but it also carries about 200 gallons total in all three tanks.  I expect the bed and pass compartment to be full.

I know the F350D SRW will tow just about everything except monster 5ers, with this one being smaller, will I still be ok, or getting into max cargo capacity?

What is the GVWR of the F250?

14 minutes ago, road turtle said:

The F250 should handle that load with no problem, but you will probably squat a bit in the rear. I would plan to add airbags to the truck and you should be good to go. I tow an 18K trailer with my F350 (11,400GVWR). It sat just a tad low in the back so I added air bags to level the ride. At 40 PSI the truck sits level and actually rides better now.

Previously I had a 2016 F250 LB CC 6.7 with a 10K GVWR and it would squat in the rear with almost any trailer I hooked to it. I had to put air bags on that truck, but the issue was with the big trailer I had to run 100 PSI and it wanted to porpoise through any dips in the road. Since then I only buy F350's now, but I tow a lot more than 13.5K

On 7/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, road turtle said:

The High Capacity/Max trailer option increased the payload to 2892 on my 2022 Lariat

Edited by Rivercityjeff
Truck delivered

51 minutes ago, Rivercityjeff said:

The High Capacity option increases the payload to about 3100-3400 pounds on an F250.

I ordered the HCTT on my 250 also. For my configuration (XLT CCSB 4X4 6.7) the listed max payload in the 22 Body Builders Guide is 3,350 lbs, however, this is likely a barebones XL... so while my XLT doesn't really have a ton of options, I am anticipating my payload to be around 2900. (This is based on a payload sticker I found on a very close 2021 build the same as mine.) I am pretty excited about this, however, I am only pulling a small 6000 lb GVWR camper and have about 1000 lbs of passengers and cargo, so I'll still have just over 1000 lbs of payload to play with.  

As far as your 5th wheel, for a 15-20% payload on a 13,400 lb camper, you're looking at anywhere between 2000-2700 lbs. So, if you are wanting to stay in range of "legal numbers" you may be cutting it pretty close, or very possibly even be over with a 250, even with the HCTT added on. I know you haven't seen the window sticker yet, but I'd look at it and come up with honest numbers, especially if you plan to stay in that range... If it's a pretty optioned out Lariat, you may be really close!

Saying all of that, I added on the snow plow/camper package, which bumps my front springs up to essentially a 350 front end, then of course the HCTT bumps the rear up to basically a 350 rear end... so I don't see how my 250 will be any less capable than a basic SRW 350, but the printed numbers will be less because mine is a 250. I didn't need the HCTT, but I wanted to beef my 250 up because I did go with the heavier diesel engine, and because I wanted to have the most amount of room to grow without going to a "350."

In my opinion, you will most likely be fine with the 250, especially since it has the HCTT, but you will likely be over the numbers. Also, I'm not trying to be the tow police or anything, but if I were routinely towing a camper that size/weight, I would prefer a DRW... but that's just my preference. I'm sure a SRW will do just fine, but after the last 4 years of maxed out towing with our tiny Pathfinder, I'm ready for some overkill! lol... so, that's just me.

My 21 Lariat with the HCTP payload is 2864 , I have a 5er that weighs 10,324 and a pin weight of 2205 and I’ll be upgrading in a couple of years to at least a 40’ that’s going to max it out when I do but seeing how it’s the same as a 350 I’m not really worried. 

Edited by ThreeLRanch
Miss typed

I have a Keystone Cougar 316 RLS, according to the brochure:
Dry - 10,436
Gross - 12,300
Hitch - 1,900

Last time I went over a scale (this june on a 4000 mile trip) the hitch weight was 2,500 and there was very little in the basement.

I will tell you that with my 2016 F250 there was absolutely nothing else in the bed and it was me, my wife, teenage daughter and a 40 lb dog in the cab. I had cleaned everything unnecessary out of the truck to try and save weight. I was under on the individual axle weights, but 800 pounds over my 10,000 GVWR.

The 6.7 in the truck pulled that trailer like a dream even through the mountains in Yellowstone and Colorado, However, not once did we run into bad weather or have to panic stop.

Though you will probably get plenty of people telling you that you will be fine, you might want to consider going to a 350.

I would rather have excess capacity, would like to actually put some stuff in the bed of the truck, and live in an area of the country where DRW is not much of a hinderance - I have a 8/16 build week for a 450. Also means when my wife wants a bigger fiver I don't have to get another new truck.

• Like 1

@bcintx that’s my thinking too.  5th wheels can max out the 250 numbers pretty fast, and while the motors can usually handle it, it’s the numbers that take a hit. Adding the HCTT helps with Diesel engines since it’s so much heavier (which basically turns the 250 into a 350 with 250 badging), but those pin weights are higher than bumper pull numbers. I stuck with the 250 because we have a bumper pull and don’t intend on going with a 5er. If I thought that we would eventually get a 5th wheel I would have most likely went with a 450. The 450 may be overkill to some degree, but I’d rather have overkill than being over weight or even on the line. We will also be travel working in our camper so we will be towing a lot. If it were just a couple weekends a year at a local campground that may be different. But again, this is me. 

Edited by chadstickpoindexter

15 hours ago, road turtle said:

Seems to me the F250 with the HCTT option is physically the same as an F350. So if you think an F350with tow just about anything, that is essentially what you are looking at except for a derated door sticker. I personally wouldn't wait to find a truck just to get a different door sticker if towing an RV was my plan. Differences between the 250 srw and 350 srw are pretty minor and close to non existent with the high capacity option. So if you really believe there is an actual risk to running a little over the sticker you should probably find one with a sticker that makes you more comfortable. If the actual capacity of the truck is the concern, you found one that will do the job.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the responses.  I'm going to go look at the F250 this afternoon, but seriously thinking I will pass and roll the dice to wait for MY truck to come in.

I ordered the bigger bed for a reason, and that reason still exists. Wife still prefers our ordered color, as it will match the trailer :)

I did check on the trailer status, it's missing a couple of minor things before it ships out.  Dealer said expect it to be available in 3 weeks.  RV Dealer owner did mention he's converted all his trucks to SB.

I wouldn't compromise on what I wanted unless there was some real need to do so. All of these trucks are expensive, best to wait a little longer for what you want because as you mention, there was a reason you ordered it that wat to begin with. Good Luck

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, road turtle said:

Good thing I decided against buying it, but did go look at it... and it had a sold sign in it.  Did look it over, and that 12" center stack screen is MASSIVE.  Sticking to my original plan and wait for the truck I've been waiting for.

I think you’ll be happy you did… once it comes in! Thats the way I’m looking at it anyway….

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, road turtle said:

You will never regret having too much towing capability. I have an F250 that I really like and am reluctant to give it up. But I also have a 5th wheel travel trailer that has a pin weight of 3015 and a total weight 12500 dry and the F250 will tow it but it is really working at it. 

I have ordered an F350 with the hope that it will be much more comfortable towing. 

9 hours ago, CCS103 said:

You will never regret having too much towing capability. I have an F250 that I really like and am reluctant to give it up. But I also have a 5th wheel travel trailer that has a pin weight of 3015 and a total weight 12500 dry and the F250 will tow it but it is really working at it. 

I have ordered an F350 with the hope that it will be much more comfortable towing. 

Precious little difference between an F-250 and an F-350 srw as has been discussed. So if your hope is the F-350 will tow "better" what changes in configuration did you make on the new order? Getting the same truck with a sticker that has a larger number on it isn't going to change it's capabilities. More powerful engine choice would help, lower numerical gear ratio would help, longer wheelbase will help (except with maneuverability) srw to drw will help. The only potential difference in 250-350 srw is a slightly softer rear spring pack that could be addressed with inexpensive air bags.  

Mountain,

It doesn't matter, as it literally was sold out from under me, shortly after it was delivered.

We've discussed the LB vs SB till we are anti matter blue in the face :).  My understanding is I should see an improved ride towing the 5er with a LB.  More importantly, we're looking at being on the road 4-6 months.  Longer bed gives me additional truck storage for "stuff".  Parking is an issue, even at my residence, it's going to be an issue.

I've come to love adaptive cruise control, and that along with LB were too reasons I planned to pass on the F250, which was no longer available anyway.

9 hours ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

Precious little difference between an F-250 and an F-350 srw as has been discussed. So if your hope is the F-350 will tow "better" what changes in configuration did you make on the new order? Getting the same truck with a sticker that has a larger number on it isn't going to change it's capabilities. More powerful engine choice would help, lower numerical gear ratio would help, longer wheelbase will help (except with maneuverability) srw to drw will help. The only potential difference in 250-350 srw is a slightly softer rear spring pack that could be addressed with inexpensive air bags.  

Take a look at the attached link. I don't think a pair of air bags will make the difference needed to make towing by an under rated pickup safer and more comfortable when driving. 

1 hour ago, CCS103 said:

Take a look at the attached link. I don't think a pair of air bags will make the difference needed to make towing by an under rated pickup safer and more comfortable when driving. 

I am sorry that you do not understand that you are going by a sticker on the door jamb and not the actual mechanics of the truck. I have an F350 with the 10k GVWR option coming. Capability wise it will haul the same weight, just as comfortably as the truck with the non-derate sticker. The F250 with the HCTP, which is what was being discussed, is mechanically identical to the F350 srw even though the F350 has a STICKER that says it can haul more. So if you have an F250 with the high capacity package and think an F350 is going to be safer and more comfortable to tow with, that would be entirely fabricated in your own mind. If you have a regular F250 without the HCTP the only real difference in in the rear springs. I know that adding a set of air springs will easily bridge the 8-900 lb capacity gap you are trying to show me as unsafe and uncomfortable.

Edited by Mountain Super Duty

35 minutes ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

I am sorry that you do not understand that you are going by a sticker on the door jamb and not the actual mechanics of the truck. I have an F350 with the 10k GVWR option coming. Capability wise it will haul the same weight, just as comfortably as the truck with the non-derate sticker. The F250 with the HCTP, which is what was being discussed, is mechanically identical to the F350 srw even though the F350 has a STICKER that says it can haul more. So if you have an F250 with the high capacity package and think an F350 is going to be safer and more comfortable to tow with, that would be entirely fabricated in your own mind. If you have a regular F250 without the HCTP the only real difference in in the rear springs. I know that adding a set of air springs will easily bridge the 8-900 lb capacity gap you are trying to show me as unsafe and uncomfortable.

I wouldn’t be as worried about being comfortable or not as I would about legality. I’m not DOT inspector or state police but I definitely don’t want to get caught over payload,GVWR,GAWR, or GCWR just cause the truck can handle it.

1 hour ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

I hear this being thrown around a lot that a F250 is the same as an F350 if sprung the same. I don't know this to be true or not, but I really question if everything else on the truck is really the same. Why wouldn't Ford just have a de-rated F350 then?

Has anyone verified this? When did this change, because I know they use to be different. Is the frame, brakes, axles, bearings, torque convertor, etc. on the new Ford F250 and F350 all the same. Is the only difference really the spring packages? I kind of doubt it, but would love to get some clarification.

Edited by Robin Hood

1 hour ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

Sir, I have better things to do than debate manufacturing specifications with you. Obviously you are looking for an argument. Please look elsewhere. 

Good day. 

40 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

I here this being thrown around a lot that a F250 is the same as an F350 if sprung the same. I don't know this to be true or not, but I really question if everything else on the truck is really the same. Why wouldn't Ford just have a de-rated F350 then?

Has anyone verified this? When did this change, because I know they use to be different. Is the frame, brakes, axles, bearings, torque convertor, etc. on the new Ford F250 and F350 all the same. Is the only difference really the spring packages? I kind of doubt it, but would love to get some clarification.

That information is pretty easy to find. You really think they changed a bunch of parts for the $3-500 price difference. There is very little difference between the two. 

13 minutes ago, CCS103 said:

Sir, I have better things to do than debate manufacturing specifications with you. Obviously you are looking for an argument. Please look elsewhere. 

Good day. 

It is even more obvious you haven't done your research... just looking to get the fact straight and you clearly are unable to support your contentions. Enjoy your new truck, I hope it meets all of your expectations.

• Haha 1