F250 Payload Capacity

48 minutes ago, harmacist said:

I wouldn’t be as worried about being comfortable or not as I would about legality. I’m not DOT inspector or state police but I definitely don’t want to get caught over payload,GVWR,GAWR, or GCWR just cause the truck can handle it.

This is the fallacy, nobody gets "caught" for running over the manufacturers RECCOMENDATIONS. None of it is based in law, there is no legality question despite the internet banter surrounding the subject. If you are hauling commercially, you are subject to those federal laws, primarily being over 26,000 GCW, not the rating but the actual weight. This does not apply to RV or personal uses. Lots of people seem worried about this and 99.9% of the time it is completely unfounded. 

12 hours ago, rsmith2786 said:

This has been beaten to death over and over.

The only difference between the trucks are the emblems on the side, the sticker in the door jamb, the numbers on the title, and axle ratio options.  Folks have gone through part number by part number and the trucks are 100% identical.  The F-350 isn't going to "tow better" and if inside the truck you'd never be able to tell the difference.

I see the "legal" thing thrown around constantly.  DOT is looking at axle weights and tire ratings.  I've never seen a single example in the states of someone having their GVWR checked.  It just doesn't happen.  Then the insurance thing comes up, again never with a single real example of having an issue.

I still ordered the F-350.  The price difference was completely negligible and the 3.73 axle ratio is ideal for my needs.  I'm not expecting it to do anything an F-250 couldn't and I'm confident nobody but me will ever look at the door sticker.  This whole thing is just silly and surrounded but lots of lies and misinformation.  

Thank you for the sanity check... I owned a business for many years where we ran hot shot deliveries with pick-ups and gooseneck trailers. We had a couple of weigh stations we regularly had to pass through, door stickers were never checked, tires and axles as you mentioned were. Nobody ever gets checked in an RV...

I ordered an F-350 and the 10k gvwr because we have had the state troopers checking one ton and up pick-ups. Colorado has a weird law on the books that if your truck gvwr is 10,001+ and you are towing a 10,001+ gvwr trailer for commercial purposes you are required to meet regulations for a commercial vehicle, despite being under the 26,001 federal standard. They have mainly targeted tradespeople with dually trucks, because they know all of those are over 10k. I have several friends in the trades that have been stopped and I know of at least one instance of a red tag issued because of this. 

I help some of these guys out hauling now and then, not for pay but because we help each other out. Nonetheless, if I am hauling a mini ex on a gooseneck I am subject to this kind of stop. Having the 10k sticker inside the door ends the conversation immediately. They never weigh anybody, they just seem to like to key in on this nonsense rule on the books. I will run under 26k and within my tire and axle ratings. I may be over the payload rating with the derate sticker but this will never be an issue because the truth is that is just a recommendation. My truck will be built exactly the same as the one with the 11,300 lb sticker and ~4300lb payload rating. I too could have ordered an F-250 and done the same work. There was no reason other than I wanted the F350 and the price difference was negligible. It isn't going to tow or haul any differently. 

I am also subject to lower registration costs with the 10k rating over the 11,300 the truck would normally come with.

Edited by Mountain Super Duty
  • Like 2

^^^^ I also believe that the F250 with the HCTT is identical to the F350 SRW in every way other than the badging and door sticker. What is interesting is that an F350 has a $335 increase in MSRP in the US over an F250 with the HCTT  .... in Canada you don't see many F250s and the MSRP of the F350 is $1428 more than the F250 with the HCTT package.

Years ago Penske Truck Rental had a fleet of E350 DRW chassis cutaways upfitted into "cube vans" and given a just under 10,000 pound GVW rating, exempting them from most DOT truck regulations. Needless to say these were very popular trucks on the used truck market. Back when I ran the truck side of a USPS loading dock we had a driver come in with one of these 10K# rated dually box vans and drop off several pallets of bulk mail- I added up the weights of land and truck and it came to about twice the trucks rated weight. To make matters worse, the driver had taken advantage of the regulatory exemptions and driven the 1200 miles from the mailer straight through without a break!

I have a 2022 F250 Diesel short bed 4x4 on order and looking to tow a 5th wheel. Thanks for all the info. I am going to put air bags on the truck and debating on buying a Grand Design 31MB or a 367BHS. 31MB is 10k dry, 13k GVWR and the 367BHS 12,500 dry 15k GVWR. I know pin weight is what I care about but when I go to the 5th wheel dealership the guys there tell me OH ITS NO BIG ISSUE AT ALL, you can handle the bigger one... but if course I struggle to believe them.

Not sure payload as I dont have the truck yet but most on here are saying about 3k. Would love some advice from you all. I have a 2 year old and a 8 month old so not a ton of weight in the truck however im sure lots of toys / bikes add up quick!

8 hours ago, Havasu470 said:

Not sure payload as I dont have the truck yet but most on here are saying about 3k. Would love some advice from you all. I have a 2 year old and a 8 month old so not a ton of weight in the truck however im sure lots of toys / bikes add up quick!

Looking at the payload chart in the 2021 brochure,  F250 4x4 crew cab short bed, the listed payload ratings are (for 9900GVWR, payload is 3320,  for 10,000 GVWR, payload is 3370, or 10800GVWR which requires diesel and HCTT, payload is 3470.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Havasu470 said:

I have a 2022 F250 Diesel short bed 4x4 on order and looking to tow a 5th wheel. Thanks for all the info. I am going to put air bags on the truck and debating on buying a Grand Design 31MB or a 367BHS. 31MB is 10k dry, 13k GVWR and the 367BHS 12,500 dry 15k GVWR. I know pin weight is what I care about but when I go to the 5th wheel dealership the guys there tell me OH ITS NO BIG ISSUE AT ALL, you can handle the bigger one... but if course I struggle to believe them.

If you really pay attention to weight and weight ratings by the manufacturer and want to be within all manufacturer recommended safe limits, and if you’re looking at a 5th wheel that will come very close to maxing out your payload one last thing to consider is those kids will grow and so will their bikes and what not. Of course that’s assuming you will keep that combo for some time. Just things to consider as it’s not what I’ve thought about in the past and am now trying to future proof our vehicle by maximizing payload and such.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Havasu470 said:

I’ll say that if you want to stay under your numbers, you will be better off going with a 350. I have an 250 XLT 6.7 with only a few options that add much weight and I’m anticipating around a 2900 lb payload, and that’s because I added the HCTT package, otherwise I would be looking at around a 2200 lb payload. For my pull behind camper though, we will still have around 1000 lbs to play with. With what you are looking at you could easily have a 2000 - 2600 lb pin weight… by the time you add in the family without anything else, you could very well be over those numbers….

Now I’m not saying it won’t work, I’m just saying if you’re worried about printed numbers, it most likely won’t with the campers you are looking at. Also, if it were me pulling that heavy of a 5th wheel, I would rather just go with a DRW… plenty of folks will tell you that’s unnecessary, and it may be, but if that’s what I planned for and didn’t have the truck or the camper yet, I would just spring for the DRW… this will give you the most wiggle room. 

13 hours ago, Kory04 said:

Looking at the payload chart in the 2021 brochure,  F250 4x4 crew cab short bed, the listed payload ratings are (for 9900GVWR, payload is 3320,  for 10,000 GVWR, payload is 3370, or 10800GVWR which requires diesel and HCTT, payload is 3470.

Dont mean to thread jack but that payload chart is the maximum payload, correct?

if I were to add a moonroof and other stuff I would begin to subtract from that right?

asking because I ordered a truck but skeptical due to not knowing my exact payload.

17 hours ago, Sirunify said:

Dont mean to thread jack but that payload chart is the maximum payload, correct?

if I were to add a moonroof and other stuff I would begin to subtract from that right?

asking because I ordered a truck but skeptical due to not knowing my exact payload.

Yes, these are maximum payloads, and most likely based off the most basic truck, like the XL, with no extra options.

FWIW, when I stopped by my dealer today, he had a 22 that just rolled in. It is a XLT CCSB 6.7 4x4 with 3.31EL, XLT Premium Package, power mirrors, tailgate step, power rear window, cloth console front seat, and heavy front service springs. It is the standard 10000 GVWR and has a payload of 2362. On page 7 of the 22 Body Building Guide, a F250 crew cab, short wheel use with 4x4 and a 10000 GVWR has a listed maximum payload of 2660 lbs, so this truck in real life is about 300 lbs less.

I'm excited about this because the only things on my truck not on this one is I have extended running boards instead of the regular running boards, LED box and roof lights, and the HCTT package, which is the heavier rear end, but also bumps the GVWR up to 10800 lbs... considering this, I now expect my payload to be around 3000 lbs! :)

Anyway, yes though, anything that you add will start subtracting from the maximum payload, and the moonroof is a big hit from what I have read. Just find the combo that you ordered to get the base max weight.

28 minutes ago, road turtle said:

Each individual truck's payload is printed on the door jam label.

Unfortunately though, until the truck is actually in our possession, we don’t know those numbers. I wish Ford had a calculator that one could use to figure out these numbers when ordering… I searched and searched trying to come up with an actual number that is close to what mine may be, and after today now have 2 that are really dang close. It would just be nice to be able to just get a number when building the truck on the Ford site. It can’t be that hard…

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 6:59 PM, chadstickpoindexter said:

I ordered the HCTT on my 250 also. For my configuration (XLT CCSB 4X4 6.7) the listed max payload in the 22 Body Builders Guide is 3,350 lbs, however, this is likely a barebones XL... so while my XLT doesn't really have a ton of options, I am anticipating my payload to be around 2900. (This is based on a payload sticker I found on a very close 2021 build the same as mine.) I am pretty excited about this, however, I am only pulling a small 6000 lb GVWR camper and have about 1000 lbs of passengers and cargo, so I'll still have just over 1000 lbs of payload to play with.  

As far as your 5th wheel, for a 15-20% payload on a 13,400 lb camper, you're looking at anywhere between 2000-2700 lbs. So, if you are wanting to stay in range of "legal numbers" you may be cutting it pretty close, or very possibly even be over with a 250, even with the HCTT added on. I know you haven't seen the window sticker yet, but I'd look at it and come up with honest numbers, especially if you plan to stay in that range... If it's a pretty optioned out Lariat, you may be really close!

Saying all of that, I added on the snow plow/camper package, which bumps my front springs up to essentially a 350 front end, then of course the HCTT bumps the rear up to basically a 350 rear end... so I don't see how my 250 will be any less capable than a basic SRW 350, but the printed numbers will be less because mine is a 250. I didn't need the HCTT, but I wanted to beef my 250 up because I did go with the heavier diesel engine, and because I wanted to have the most amount of room to grow without going to a "350."

In my opinion, you will most likely be fine with the 250, especially since it has the HCTT, but you will likely be over the numbers. Also, I'm not trying to be the tow police or anything, but if I were routinely towing a camper that size/weight, I would prefer a DRW... but that's just my preference. I'm sure a SRW will do just fine, but after the last 4 years of maxed out towing with our tiny Pathfinder, I'm ready for some overkill! lol... so, that's just me.

This math here is why I'm trading a '21 F250 CCSB w / 6.7 for a '22 F350 CCLB w / 7.3.  Payload capacity or lack thereof.  I have no doubt the F250 would  pull it, but I'd prefer the longer bed and higher stated payload.

2 hours ago, tdbohannon said:

This math here is why I'm trading a '21 F250 CCSB w / 6.7 for a '22 F350 CCLB w / 7.3.  Payload capacity or lack thereof.  I have no doubt the F250 would  pull it, but I'd prefer the longer bed and higher stated payload.

That should give you a pretty significant bump in payload! I recently saw a 22 on my lot that was my exact truck except mine will have the HCTT package, which bumps the GVWR up by 800 lbs. The payload on the truck here at the lot was 2362, so I am now anticipating my F250 with HCTT package to have a payload of right at 3000 lbs (instead of the 2900 I listed in the above quoted post!) I know this won't be near what you will have with a 350 7.3,  but for me, this will be plenty! Of course more is even better though! lol But, I am really glad I decided to add the HCTT package just to give me that little extra. Enjoy your new truck!