Sign in to follow this  
jcartwright99

Who waxes their cars?

Thought I would throw this out there. I am voluntarily washing, clay bar, and wax my Fusion this weekend. I  could totally pay someone else to do it but I guess I feel like doing it myself. It's a bit cathartic, as I can just unplug, listen to some music, and bring out the shine. I usually clay the car once a year but I skipped last year. I had been using Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid for my wax. It's been decent but only seems to last me 2-3 months before beading stops. I park outside so my paint takes a beating.  Anyone have any recommendations? 

I previously used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid as well. Excellent gloss but only fair durability as you mentioned. Last year, I gave Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wax Spray Coating a try. It's almost as glossy as Meguiars Ultimate Liquid but the real appeal is durability. I'm been getting 6-7 months of beading in North Texas spring and summer weather, more than twice as long as what I got with the Meguiars Ultimate.

As a bonus, the Hybrid Solution Ceramic Wax Spray coating is easier to apply, as its a spray on, wipe off type product. The combination of durability and ease of application is great. Price is very reasonable, about $12-15 for a 16 ounce bottle.

809dc7bb-9501-44f4-a254-f6e96fbc3f36_600

Hand washing & polishing a vehicle is good exercise.

I applied 303 Graphine Nano Spray shortly after delivery of my 2021 Ranger. They say it works best after removing old wax which I did by hand washing the truck with Dawn Ultra dish soap. The Graphine should be applied in a thin coat, and it looks horrible out of the bottle: a grey goo with a strong petroleum smell, but it really works. I used a microfiber cloth for both application and wipe-off and it's good on everything: glass, wheels, neoprene, rubber, plastic etc.

I followed up after a couple days with Adam's Detail Spray which really brought out a wet look shine and a very smooth finish- and has a strawberry scent! It has been about twelve weeks since I applied both and water is beading up well.

Unknown.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions! I was really looking at the turtle wax until I realized I had 2/3 of a bottle of Meguiars.  I decided to use that but will really look at ceramics for next time. 

My day started with replacing the wipers and cabin air filter. Then a wash with Adam’s strip soap. Followed by a painstaking clay bar with Griots. Then 2 coats of Meguiars. 

Results not too bad for a daily driver that sits outside.

3B2E8DDE-2512-4757-B1BB-03DAA4A53501.thumb.jpeg.a736161acfeb421ed445f0b8ef5135da.jpeg

Great job jcartwright99 sir, your car looks fantastic. Most important to getting results like that is proper technique including surface prep, and you have that down pat. 👍

I use Chemical Guys ceramic wax and it does a pretty good job but doesn't seem to last any longer than Meguiar's.

I’ve been using F-11 now.  It’s so much easier!

I can't wax my vehicles like I used to in the past, so I gave away my random-orbit buffer to my youngest son.   Age and arthritis have more or less forced me into relying on the car wash for cleaning and paint protection.  However, a month or so ago, I got real motivated and hand washed, clay barred, and applied Meguiar's Ceramic Wax to the Aviator and the Expedition.  Probably not going to do that again but, so far so good.   

I usually wax my car every 4 months. Then, spray wax after every wash.

I used to be on a much more frequent polishing schedule - now I'm lucky if I can carve out time for my my annual clay/polish.  The Chemical Guys (not sure if they're overrated or not) wash/wax I use keeps it looking pretty good when I can get a hand wash in.  Ceramic coatings have caught my eye recently, but I can't just yet swallow the price...

I "think about" waxing my vehicles a lot more than I actually do it. When I do I love the improved look so much I promise myself to keep up a schedule. So far, still random.😁

I do like the Griots products.