Ford raises its 2021 outlook after surprise second-quarter profit

Highlights. Ford-2Q2021 Earnings- Press Release (q4cdn.com)

• Q2 revenue of $26.8 billion, net income of $561 million and adjusted EBIT of $1.1 billion
  • Anticipated full-year 2021 adjusted EBIT and adjusted free cash flow, respectively, raised to between $9 billion and $10 billion and between $4 billion and $5 billion
  • U.S. customer-sold order bank exiting Q2 more than 7X a year ago, with new models to come – sales ‘’spring loaded’’ for growth when semiconductor supplies normalize

9 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I liked this tidbit... "Sales in the Chinese market rose 24% in the quarter, as deliveries more than doubled for its Lincoln luxury line. Ford sold nearly twice as many Lincolns in China in the quarter as it did in the U.S."  

Yes sir ANTAUS. It's no surprise, as the Lincoln brand has a much better reputation in China than in the U.S. 

Also, Chinese Lincoln dealers are almost all standalone. These dealers are much nicer in terms of the physical facilities than American Lincoln dealers, many if not most of which are combined with Ford dealer locations.

auto-times-644-750x400.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, akirby said:

So much for the chip delays and Bronco delays being an “epic disaster”……

Semiconductor shortage did affect Ford last quarter. This was specifically mentioned in the earnings presentation as a factor resulting in negative $5.1B FCF for the quarter. And everybody at Ford knows that Bronco launch has been an epic disaster. But the company's surprise profit (analysts expected a loss) indicates the company is finally starting to get basic operations management under control.

Still waiting to see if Ford's chip shortage is improving. Not finding much evidence of it yet. Mullinax seemed to have a little better inventory in July than June, but not very significant. If Mullinax can improve its inventory 20% in August, then that is good sign. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Still waiting to see if Ford's chip shortage is improving. Not finding much evidence of it yet. Mullinax seemed to have a little better inventory in July than June, but not very significant. If Mullinax can improve its inventory 20% in August, then that is good sign. 

I wouldn't expect the inventory to increase much for a while as many vehicles will be sold as soon as they show up on the lot.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

image.jpeg.a7b61761ff3a21e13d0b5cc4ebb70e0c.jpeg

It's 2 words actually. What you or I think it means doesn't matter. The important thing is that Ford executives know that those 2 words describe the Bronco product launch accurately. Even more importantly, they're taking actions to clean up the disaster.

8 hours ago, rperez817 said:

And everybody at Ford knows that Bronco launch has been an epic disaster.

I finally figured out what makes me despise seeing your username and content on this site.  (And no, it's not your infuriating and, I suspect, sarcastic overuse of "sir.")  You are incapable of distinguishing between facts and opinions.  You consistently present your opinions as indisputable facts.  Do you have evidence to support the statement that "everybody at Ford knows"?  That is stated as a fact.  It is, in FACT, your OPINION.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford Credit earnings before tax $1.6 Billion

Automotive earnings before tax  $194 million

Ford has a bunch of vehicles already built that need chips.  I assume that cost is already booked.  Since chip shipments are improving, automotive earnings should be much better in the next quarter.  Does that sound right or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, CurtisH said:

Ford has a bunch of vehicles already built that need chips.  I assume that cost is already booked.  Since chip shipments are improving, automotive earnings should be much better in the next quarter.  Does that sound right or am I missing something?

The release of held vehicles along with ramped up production and reduced or no incentives should make for a very good 3Q and 4Q.  I don't think they can book the revenue until the vehicles leave the plant.   So a lot of this angst over reduced sales will be moot as some of the sales catch up this fall with higher revenue than before.   That's why Ford is projecting a $8B-$9B profit for the year.  I'm sure they'll end up losing some profit from lost sales in 1H2021 but it's not going to be nearly as bad as some people think.   Just a temporary glitch.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jamo_ said:

I am curious on how Q3 will look with them shutting down at least 1 production facility for the entire month of July.  Does that help them drastically or is it just more of a smoke and mirror play.

It depends...if they don't have incentives on a product or are over producing that product, it should help with profits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamo_ said:

I am curious on how Q3 will look with them shutting down at least 1 production facility for the entire month of July.  Does that help them drastically or is it just more of a smoke and mirror play.

Theyve been shutting down plants off and on all year.  3Q should be a lot better than 2Q volume wise and profits should be a lot higher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

The release of held vehicles along with ramped up production and reduced or no incentives should make for a very good 3Q and 4Q.  I don't think they can book the revenue until the vehicles leave the plant.   So a lot of this angst over reduced sales will be moot as some of the sales catch up this fall with higher revenue than before.   That's why Ford is projecting a $8B-$9B profit for the year.  I'm sure they'll end up losing some profit from lost sales in 1H2021 but it's not going to be nearly as bad as some people think.   Just a temporary glitch.

That was pretty much my take.  I expect automotive earnings to be much better next quarter. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, silverboost said:

If the economy holds up I think we will see a big boom in auto manufacturer sales as they ramp up production.   Lot's of people out there that have stimulus money burning a hole in their pockets and would like a new car.

I’d say that stimulus money has already been spent, that’s probably why the economy is better than most thought. People are paying higher prices for used vehicles because there’s a shortage of new ones, I don’t see that changing until well into 2022, Ford and GM will keep inventories tight to keep prices high, there will be no big MY22 run out incentives.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1