Backing out of order?

zekd

4 hours ago, Mbrooks44 said:

My dealer told me they don’t care, they’ll sell it anyway. I put no deposit down and there is no requirement to buy. 

Same here....in this market they had probably just as soon you back out.  they will just jack up the price and put in on the lot and probably make more off of it than they had agreed to sell it to you for.

• Like 1

Ordered 2022 350 CCLB Limited. Looked like it was going to be awhile. Found a different dealer with four MY21 arriving soon. Found out when the delivery truck was arriving, made deal on a MY21 350CCLB Platinum. Went to first dealer to cancel the '22. Salesman a little upset giving me my deposit back, but other sales people around were more than happy. Not sure they OFFICIALLY canx in the system.

12 minutes ago, Buckymaster said:

Ordered 2022 350 CCLB Limited. Looked like it was going to be awhile. Found a different dealer with four MY21 arriving soon. Found out when the delivery truck was arriving, made deal on a MY21 350CCLB Platinum. Went to first dealer to cancel the '22. Salesman a little upset giving me my deposit back, but other sales people around were more than happy. Not sure they OFFICIALLY canx in the system.

You’d think they’d be thrilled to have something that will sell likely within the first day they have it.  

My dealer took a $2,000 deposit. They are a small dealership and don't want to be stuck with inventory they didn't order or anticipate. I would've liked the option to cancel without losing my deposit, but I gave that up for the lower sales tax and service I got from them compared to other dealers I talked to.

Edited by Robin Hood

On 7/29/2021 at 8:35 AM, Robin Hood said:

My dealer took a $2,000 deposit. They are a small dealership and don't want to be stuck with inventory they didn't order or anticipate. I would've liked the option to cancel without losing my deposit, but I gave that up for the lower sales tax and service I got from them compared to other dealers I talked to.

That is pretty crazy. I can not imagine a dealer not wanting a truck to sell if you backed out these days, no matter how small the dealer.  How are the taxes different, in Colorado you are taxed by where you live, doesn't matter where you buy. I guess that is different depending on your state. 

I think with the COVP system dealers are using now Ford is asking to see proof of a $500 deposit and copy of a driver license to secure a retail order. This is because they are expediting retail orders over dealer stock orders.  

Edited by Mountain Super Duty
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

That is pretty crazy. I can not imagine a dealer not wanting a truck to sell if you backed out these days, no matter how small the dealer.  How are the taxes different, in Colorado you are taxed by where you live, doesn't matter where you buy. I guess that is different depending on your state. 

I think with the COVP system dealers are using now Ford is asking to see proof of a $500 deposit and copy of a driver license to secure a retail order. This is because they are expediting retail orders over dealer stock orders.  

I agree! I asked and thought they would give me a refundable option. It is there policy and I am ok with that. I have no issue with a company having a policy, being transparent and sticking to it. They want to protect themselves from something going south in the market place, which honestly is the same reason I wanted the option. I can still walk away, but I'll lose my $2K. I suspect that if the market conditions are the same when the truck arrives, that I could probably talk them into refunding the deposit if I really want out for some reason. I bought with the X-plan and technically you aren't allowed to sale for 6 months so flipping the truck isn't really an option.

Regarding sales tax, if you buy in state, you pay at the location of the dealership. If you buy out of state you pay base on where you live..

13 hours ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

The COVP enrollment requires the Dealer to upload a copy of a signed Buyer's Order and the customer's Driver's License. The required $500 deposit applies only to CA. There is no deposit required for customers in any other state.   

11 hours ago, Robin Hood said:

Regarding sales tax, if you buy in state, you pay at the location of the dealership. If you buy out of state you pay base on where you live..

Sales tax is based on the address where the vehicle will be registered. There are some states that have different tax rates in different areas. 

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Sales tax is based on the address where the vehicle will be registered. There are some states that have different tax rates in different areas. 

I thought this was pretty standard but I am no expert on other states tax laws. We live out of town and only have to pay 2.9% state tax. If you live in town you get socked for the state plus the locality with can end up being over 10% in certain places.

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I was speaking specifically to AZ as noted in an earlier related post. In AZ if I buy a truck in Phoenix and I live in Tucson, I will pay the sales tax rate at the dealership location in Phoenix that I purchase it from. For instance, in my current situation, I bought a truck at Oracle Road Ford which is outside the city limits in Pinal Co. I will pay Pinal Co sales tax rate even though I live in the Town of Marana and Pima Co.

Edited by Robin Hood

5 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

I was speaking specifically to AZ as noted in an earlier related post. In AZ if I buy a truck in Phoenix and I live in Tucson, I will pay the sales tax rate at the dealership location in Phoenix that I purchase at.

Okay. Interesting. 

Another tax issue for me in Missouri is whether I trade or sell outright. The dealer offered 50k for my ‘16 F-250 when I ordered the ‘22 F-350. They said the value would be evaluated every 90 days. So if trade value goes down I can sell outright to get more money for the ‘16. 

BUT, I have to figure the tax penalty for not trading. The trade value comes off the cost of new vehicle and then sales tax is figured. So if I sell to private party a 50k trade value has to sell for 53k to break even. So lots to consider before making that final decision to trade or sell. 

8 hours ago, DecodanMcQ said:

Another tax issue for me in Missouri is whether I trade or sell outright. The dealer offered 50k for my ‘16 F-250 when I ordered the ‘22 F-350. They said the value would be evaluated every 90 days. So if trade value goes down I can sell outright to get more money for the ‘16. 

BUT, I have to figure the tax penalty for not trading. The trade value comes off the cost of new vehicle and then sales tax is figured. So if I sell to private party a 50k trade value has to sell for 53k to break even. So lots to consider before making that final decision to trade or sell. 

Some dealers will let you give them a set amount for doing the paperwork and save you the tax money plus get more for your truck. The neighbor just did that when he bought his ‘18 GMC it cost him $500 but got a couple grand more & didn’t have to remove some extras that the dealer wouldn’t give $ for like rims.

• Like 1

In GA you pay your county’s tax no matter where you purchase it.  If my county is 7% but I buy in a 6% county and they charge me 6% I’ll get a bill for the other 1% in a month or two.  Normally the dealer charges you based on your county.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

In GA you pay your county’s tax no matter where you purchase it.  If my county is 7% but I buy in a 6% county and they charge me 6% I’ll get a bill for the other 1% in a month or two.  Normally the dealer charges you based on your county.

akirby what county in GA do you reside? I’m in Northwest Ga (Catoosa). 

In Missouri if you trade or sell, then you have a tax "credit" that is good for 180 days.  If you purchase within the 180 days, then you have to pay the taxes of the difference of sale/trade and the new vehicle.  In Missouri, your taxes are based on where you live.  I live in Springfield, and always buy in other counties, yet, I pay the taxes for where I live.  The dealer has nothing to do with taxes here, they give you your plate back or a temp, until you can go to the DMV and pay your taxes and license fees.