Stronger Encryption

succeed23

As a cyber engineer, I'm wired to look at the security settings for all the features/apps I use. I noticed the truck's wifi only has WPA encryption. I'm alarmed that Ford is using this level of encryption as it is easy to break, so I'm hoping an over-the-air update can address this change. Android Auto and likely Apple Car Play connect to the truck's wifi as well as the Bluetooth connection. I'll likely have to connect to Android auto via USB and disable the truck's wifi rather than use the wireless connection to reduce any potential risks. I'll update this if I'm mistaken, and can change the encryption level.

Edited by succeed23
  • Like 1

To clairfy, I'm not referring to the Hotspot. I'm referring to the wifi used during wireless app projection. Secondly, after some discussion regarding this matter on another forum, it may not be a concern if Ford is using 802.1x authentication with TKIP. If I'm bored enough, I'll see if I can find out if Ford is using 802.1 or PSK. Assuming the average Joe doesn't garner the attention of a cyber attacker with focused interest on their truck, the aforementioned should be sufficient. 

51 minutes ago, akirby said:

You think people will follow you around in traffic just to hack your Wi-Fi?

Fair witty question. I think if the proper security isn't (which doesn't seem to be tbe case at this juncture), I do think the folks that leave their vehicles running while they run into a store or gas station would be at risk of having their vehicles hacked. If you're a guy like me that sits in his car while waiting for his wife to run into the beauty story for a hairbrush, you share the same risk. That being said, all any of us have to do is turn off the wifi if we start hearing reports of successful exploits. This is nothing to stress about given the easy fix. To wrap up my response, I'll just reiterate that if the proper security is in place, the level of risk is almost non-existent. It's something to discuss in a forum, but not something to bash Ford or freak out about. We discuss, we learn, we grow.