The Cheap Hybrid Ford Maverick Won't Be Stocked at Dealerships (Update: For Now)

58 minutes ago, akirby said:

I fully expect to see a Badlands style Maverick soon.  I’m also thinking they’ll do a Warthog style BS and Mav with the 2.3L engine and maybe the rear electric motor from the Corsair GT.

I believe the battery pack interferes with the driveshaft.  That’s why Corsair GT has an electric motor for the rear wheels only.

Not the case with hybrid. Escape hybrid AWD is mechanical AWD with driveshaft. 

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Well, if you look at July sales numbers for Escape and BS, I would say No.......

At least for my part of northern Michigan, my local dealer is selling Bronco Sports as fast as they come in.  He's probably gotten 10-15 since April and they sell in less than a week.  I literally bought mine off the trailer.  It arrived in the morning, I bought it in the afternoon.

7 minutes ago, bzcat said:

The Escape PHEV is only FWD, not AWD.  The battery pack gets in way of the driveshaft.  The Corsair PHEV does offer AWD, by using a separate motor for the rear wheels.

38 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

At least for my part of northern Michigan, my local dealer is selling Bronco Sports as fast as they come in.  He's probably gotten 10-15 since April and they sell in less than a week.  I literally bought mine off the trailer.  It arrived in the morning, I bought it in the afternoon.

So is Gaylord Ford still in business? Used to have vacation home in Michewaye and they serviced my Bronco ll at the time. Still miss Nothern MI with Traverse, Petosky, Mackinaw, and Old Mission being so close. Great area. Summer and Winter fun. 

44 minutes ago, bzcat said:

So I think I found my answer with the Maverick not being offered with AWD on the hybrid at launch. From Motor Trend.

"So although there is no packaging or technological impediment to modifying the Escape Hybrid AWD model's e-CVT to accommodate the Maverick's new motor, Ford decided not to bite off more than it could chew by developing and launching both front- and all-wheel-drive Maverick hybrid variants in the first model year. Let those who demand AWD spring for the fancier, more profitable 2.0-liter EcoBoost Maverick. Ford can fan the sales flames later by adding an AWD Hybrid version to the lineup. "

5 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford put out a statement yesterday that Jalopnik posted that basically said that hybrid models will make up 40% of the mix and that dealers will have an adequate inventory of hybrid models to show. Hopefully better than Bronco Sport and Escape which are nowhere to be found. Here in Central Florida, there are ZERO Escape hybrids and Bronco Sports. 

Not surprising since Louisville has been closed for weeks.

Yes, Ford’s objective is to have a 60/40 split of 2.0EB/Hybrid but probably a slow ramp up,

I sense that Ford is looking for feedback from orders and wakin buyers here…

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

So is Gaylord Ford still in business? Used to have vacation home in Michewaye and they serviced my Bronco ll at the time. Still miss Nothern MI with Traverse, Petosky, Mackinaw, and Old Mission being so close. Great area. Summer and Winter fun. 

The guy who owned Gaylord Ford passed away about five years ago.  Bill Marsh now owns it (as well as dealerships in Kalkaska and TC).  Several of my friends live in Michaywe.  Northern Michigan has its charms, though the winters can be grueling.  We'll be here for the long haul, unless family takes us downstate.  Can't ever see myself leaving Michigan, I love the Great Lakes too much.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Fuel economy for the non hybrid is out:

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/16/2022-ford-maverick-turbo-fuel-economy-forum/

23/30 for FWD

22/29 for AWD+tow

Both are better than Santa Cruz.

The 25 combined for the Awd version, matches the f150 powerboost, and is better than Ranger and the other mid sizers.  Provided Ford can actually build them, it looks like it will be a hit.

10 hours ago, slemke said:

The 25 combined for the Awd version, matches the f150 powerboost, and is better than Ranger and the other mid sizers.  Provided Ford can actually build them, it looks like it will be a hit.

There is a potential that the AWD versions without tow package could get slightly better FE. If they could get 22/30 that would be amazing. There is virtually no penalty going with the AWD model. Ford has made the AWD system much more efficient.

45 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

There is a potential that the AWD versions without tow package could get slightly better FE. If they could get 22/30 that would be amazing. There is virtually no penalty going with the AWD model. Ford has made the AWD system much more efficient.

PTU disconnect has to be a big factor.

17 hours ago, slemke said:

It really makes the F-150 PowerBoost's numbers look quite impressive.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/27/ford-maverick-free-awd-for-fwd-tow-package-orders/

On September 6, a member of the Maverick Truck Club forum started a thread asking what people planned to tow with their new compact Ford pickups. It's a short thread, just three pages. On the last page, a member who goes by "coolhip33" posted that he or she had ordered a Maverick with the optional 2.0-liter EcoBoost in front-wheel drive with the 4K Tow package that doubles the pickup's tow rating to 4,000 pounds. The poster then crossed out "FWD" and left a note, "Updated: Just notified we have to buy AWD." A few posts later, coolhip33 informs members that "Ford is going to pay for the AWD upgrade on our order," saving coolhip33 the usual $2,220 price to drive the rear axle.

On September 22, coolhip33 started another thread that began with the text of a dealer bulletin Ford sent to its retailers with info on the free upgrade. According to Ford, "approximately 500 customers" ordered Mavericks with FWD and the 4K Tow Package that adds bits like a higher-capacity radiator, upgraded drive ratio, and a hitch with a seven-pin connector. It's not clear what happened when behind the scenes at Ford, but engineers decided the combo wouldn't deliver satisfactory results. The bulletin told dealers, "Due to recent engineering and performance evaluations, it has been determined to remove the FWD Gas (999/448) & 4K Towing Package (53Q) combination from the 22MY Maverick offering, across all series." The bulletin says the pairing was removed from the internal ordering system as of mid-August. Dealers could re-order affected vehicles with FWD and without the tow package, re-order with AWD and the tow package, or cancel the order. The FWD Maverick is rated to tow 2,000 pounds, and can be optioned with a hitch receiver and four-pin connector for $100.

The good news is that Maverick buyers who ordered front-wheel drive and the 4K Tow Package before that option exited Ford's ordering system will get AWD free. The other news is that Maverick buyers who paid for AWD and the 4K Tow Package spent $2,200 more than a few hundred other buyers. As another forum poster noted, it happens, and while there will be a minority who feel a touch jaded, it's commendable that Ford's doing the right thing for that first group.

Guess they decided not to offer the tow package on FWD models, and gave people that ordered it a free AWD upgrade.

• Like 1

TFL had a hands on review (no driving) of the different trims. I see the sweet spot being XLT hybrid, which is fairly nice for what it is. Anything over 33 would make me start to look at the Ranger. Especially if the NG Ranger gets a hybrid. I would assume 40k would get a respectably equipped NG Ranger hybrid (all speculation of course).

On 8/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, jcartwright99 said:

That's the way I understood it.  The pre orders are so large, they will have trouble keeping up, but do plan to let dealers have a few, to use as demonstrators.

What I don't fully understand if this means that they have so much demand for hybrid orders, they will not be stocking dealers up until those orders get fulfilled. Much like they are trying to do with the Bronco (but failing in epic proportions).

On 8/4/2021 at 9:01 PM, mackinaw said:

The guy who owned Gaylord Ford passed away about five years ago.  Bill Marsh now owns it (as well as dealerships in Kalkaska and TC).  Several of my friends live in Michaywe.  Northern Michigan has its charms, though the winters can be grueling.  We'll be here for the long haul, unless family takes us downstate.  Can't ever see myself leaving Michigan, I love the Great Lakes too much.

I can't believe the Sugar Bowl closed. It was an institution there....commanded the center of downtown. Ate there all the time.....loved their Superior Whitefish dinner. Just thinking about that place brings back lots of memories. At least La Seniorita is still there. 

1 hour ago, AtleeH said:

Ditto for Escape hybrid....not really in stock; most are customer orders. See that it's very easy to pull 50mpg out of Maverick Hybrid. The demand for the hybrid must be huge. And FWD works pretty well in snow. Only got stuck once when I lived in MI with a Taurus. And that was a winter from hell with bitter temps and 100 inches of snow. 

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I can't believe the Sugar Bowl closed. It was an institution there....commanded the center of downtown. Ate there all the time.....loved their Superior Whitefish dinner. Just thinking about that place brings back lots of memories. At least La Seniorita is still there. 

Yeah, it's been downhill for the Sugar Bowl since the long-time owner retired several years back.  The newer owners tried to keep it going with a new chef, and staff, but it just wasn't the same.  Covid was the final straw, so they eventually gave up and closed.  A Mexican restaurant will be opening in its place.  It's a prime location, so should do well.  

On 8/5/2021 at 5:55 AM, bzcat said:

It sounds like some are confused here,

In C2 Escape, the batteries are located below the rear cargo space, not under the floor pan like a BEV.

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It sounds like some are confused here,

In C2 Escape, the batteries are located below the rear cargo space, not under the floor pan like a BEV.

The high voltage battery in my 2021 AWD Escape SEL Hybrid (build date Aug 24) is located under the right rear passenger floorboard. Definitely -not- below the rear cargo space. And the AWD system -is- mechanical. 

As described above by bzcat....

This mockup shows the arrangement:

mock.JPG

27 minutes ago, kkimm said:

The high voltage battery in my 2021 AWD Escape SEL Hybrid (build date Aug 24) is located under the right rear passenger floorboard. Definitely -not- below the rear cargo space. And the AWD system -is- mechanical. 

As described above by bzcat....

This mockup shows the arrangement:

mock.JPG

Of course, silly me, they moved the battery to under the front passengers seat,

that made room to return the spare tire, the older battery took up a ton of room.