'21 July Sales

27 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Really useless to talk about "sales numbers," especially vs. the competition at this juncture. It would seem who ever has chips and can complete vehicles are going to sell them.

True enough! Had there been no chip shortage Ford would be having a monster year with their new products.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

The open question is how much will increased profits offset the lost volume?

Hopefully by a wide margin. It will still be a good year for Ford when the smoke settles. I hope lessons are learned from this crisis. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akirby said:

The open question is how much will increased profits offset the lost volume?

I think we've already seen it to a good degree based on Ford's latest profit numbers and considering how severely Ford's production has been impacted due to the microchip shortage. Production skewed to higher content and more profitable models has to be a major factor. 

• Like 3

Ford needs to rethink the supply chain of parts.  The production is cutting by half because a chip plant get fire in Asia. And can’t produce the hardtop Bronco because the supplier can’t do the parts.    A complete disaster.  

Edited by falconlover 1
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

Ford needs to rethink the supply chain of parts.  The production is cutting by half because a chip plant get fire in Asia. And can’t produce the hardtop Bronco because the supplier can’t do the parts.    A complete disaster.  

It wasn’t JUST a plant fire.  It was a plant fire ON TOP OF the normal Covid delays affecting everybody.  And Ford is still managing to make a $8B -$9B profit.   If that’s a disaster I’ll take one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

It wasn’t JUST a plant fire.  It was a plant fire ON TOP OF the normal Covid delays affecting everybody.  And Ford is still managing to make a $8B -$9B profit.   If that’s a disaster I’ll take one.

Add a massive train derailment yesterday of f-150s to the 2021 shitlist!!! In Missouri!

48 minutes ago, akirby said:

If you don’t spend money producing cars, and sell less cars at a higher price, you can make more profits.  Want Ford turn themself in an American Ferrari ?

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Meanwhile, in other news, a team of Ford employee's is en-route to Missouri to remove chips from damaged F-150's,,,,,

HRG

In route by plane?   I don’t want to think what can go wrong!   Noooo.  ?  

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Meanwhile, in other news, a team of Ford employee's is en-route to Missouri to remove chips from damaged F-150's,,,,,

HRG

Begging and digging for chips. Maybe Ford can put together a nefarious team of chip thieves. Looks like the Farley honeymoon is over.....he has a lot on his plate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

If you don’t spend money producing cars, and sell less cars at a higher price, you can make more profits.  Want Ford turn themself in an American Ferrari ?

It’s a temporary problem, but yes - if Ford can make the same profit selling half as many vehicles, why not?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

At the moment they have no choice.

Si te case siete veces, leventate ocho 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s a temporary problem, but yes - if Ford can make the same profit selling half as many vehicles, why not?

Does Porsche still have the highest profits per vehicle in the industry?  It should be noted their volume these days is in SUVs, not sports cars. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Donaldo said:

Does Porsche still have the highest profits per vehicle in the industry?  It should be noted their volume these days is in SUVs, not sports cars. 

But sports car is still way more profitable for Porsche. SUV provides volume which pays the bills but Porsche's profit is built on option sheet price gouging its sports car customers, $750 for color matching seatbelts at a time. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bzcat said:

But sports car is still way more profitable for Porsche. SUV provides volume which pays the bills but Porsche's profit is built on option sheet price gouging its sports car customers, $750 for color matching seatbelts at a time. 

I think many of the expensive options available on Porsche SUVs too. The 2021 Cayenne has a base price of about $70,000,  but the cheapest new one I could find of 100 on dealer lots around me has a $125,000 sticker. . 

Edited by Donaldo
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 8:44 AM, .I. said:

At some point though volume definitely comes into play if you want to be a major automaker and not a boutique brand. You can price a Ford only so high before people will just go get an alternative brand for less that is just as good. Parts and raw material fabrication also becomes more and more expensive to source when it's only for a few vehicles. Also empty dealer lots isn't a good way to sell vehicles if other automakers have stocked lots. I understand why this is happening, but long term empty lots and low production is not a good strategy even if ATPs are higher. At some point you will drive the company into the ground if there is no supply and prices are not competitive for similar models from other automakers.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

At some point though volume definitely comes into play if you want to be a major automaker and not a boutique brand. You can price a Ford only so high before people will just go get an alternative brand for less that is just as good. Parts and raw material fabrication also becomes more and more expensive to source when it's only for a few vehicles.

I think Mercedes-Benz shows that a very large carmaker can have a profitable brand  of the most expensive and exotic cars on the road, as well as more entry level  transportation and commercial vehicles. They usually make it easy to build to order, since it is almost impossible for the majority of Mercedes dealers to have  deep inventories of their vehicles. For example MBZ has 8 SUVs , which covers well over 2 dozen individual models when different trims and AMG versions are included. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

At some point though volume definitely comes into play if you want to be a major automaker and not a boutique brand. You can price a Ford only so high before people will just go get an alternative brand for less that is just as good. Parts and raw material fabrication also becomes more and more expensive to source when it's only for a few vehicles. Also empty dealer lots isn't a good way to sell vehicles if other automakers have stocked lots. I understand why this is happening, but long term empty lots and low production is not a good strategy even if ATPs are higher. At some point you will drive the company into the ground if there is no supply and prices are not competitive for similar models from other automakers.

It's a strategy into loss market share short term and irrelevancy long term as Ford will not be cross shopped anymore except for Ford diehards.

Ford is not Porsche and is still seen as the affordable brand for the common man except for some low volume specialty vehicles. Henry Ford has probably turned over in his grave more than a few times already.

After all, Ford is still known for its cheap, plasticky, rubbery interiors as every reviewer reminds us over and over again. Now they call it a "Fordy" interior.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Donaldo said:

I think Mercedes-Benz shows that a very large carmaker can have a profitable brand  of the most expensive and exotic cars on the road, as well as more entry level  transportation and commercial vehicles. They usually make it easy to build to order, since it is almost impossible for the majority of Mercedes dealers to have  deep inventories of their vehicles. For example MBZ has 8 SUVs , which covers well over 2 dozen individual models when different trims and AMG versions are included. 

And MB has been known as a premium brand for decades here in the states. Maybe Lincoln will get there in coming years if it keeps at it consistently. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It's a strategy into loss market share short term and irrelevancy long term as Ford will not be cross shopped anymore except for Ford diehards.

Ford is not Porsche and is still seen as the affordable brand for the common man except for some low volume specialty vehicles. Henry Ford has probably turned over in his grave more than a few times already.

After all, Ford is still known for its cheap, plasticky, rubbery interiors as every reviewer reminds us over and over again. Now they call it a "Fordy" interior.

The whole notion that the Ford brand competes against Mercedes or Porsche is ridiculous in my opinion. Ford competes against mainstream brands Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Nissan, Jeep, Ram, Hyundai, etc. Maybe Lincoln can build it’s brand up and go after small scale luxury or boutique brands, but sorry no one is paying thousands more for an Escape over a RAV4 or CRV just because of the blue oval. The same holds true when it comes to pickup trucks. The F-150 has to remain competitive and close in price to the Silverado and Ram. The Ranger with the Tacoma and Colorado. The Bronco with the Wrangler and on and on.

The whole idea that Ford can move to small volumes and raise their prices thousands over the mainstream competition and remain relevant as a major automaker in the future baffles me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1