T450 ?

theoldwizard1

On 8/6/2021 at 1:18 PM, theoldwizard1 said:

So what do people think about a T450 ?  Even if it is just CC/CA ?

Upgrade the frame and springs but most of all UPGRADE THE REAR AXLE !  Wider "stance" and better brakes.  I am certain the RV industry would love it, especially with a 5.0L.

I've always thought they could make cab from a Transit full size with an Econoline cab floor pan and put it on an E-450 chassis....viola!! T450! But, since E-Series covers that end quite well, what would be the point although I like the idea of E-Series getting a 5.0L and/or a 3.5L Ecoboost motor.

Not likely to happen, the T series unit body design limits it's GVW potential. Ford is unwilling to seriously re-enter the medium and heavy truck business, so we're stuck with a generic medium truck chassis stuffed under a 1 ton pickup drivetrain and cab to give us an uncompetitive F series medium and a hacked off overdue for retirement Econoline to provide a cheap solution for the motorhome and step van industry. 

12 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Not likely to happen, the T series unit body design limits it's GVW potential. Ford is unwilling to seriously re-enter the medium and heavy truck business, so we're stuck with a generic medium truck chassis stuffed under a 1 ton pickup drivetrain and cab to give us an uncompetitive F series medium and a hacked off overdue for retirement Econoline to provide a cheap solution for the motorhome and step van industry. 

I think it's a matter of priorities and the necessary investment to transition to BEV vehicles in addition to the expenses related to development of recent new models and introductions.  

My point is, the T350 is such a WEAK player in the CC/CA  market (BTW, the CC/CA is NOT unibody.  It has a frame !). I am sure the RV builders would love it. Currently a niche that is not being filled.

Everytime I see a tall T350 dually I keep asking myself why the wheels are tucked under and not outside like all dually pickups.

11 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

It's not full frame, just a rear subframe attached to the cab unibody. The duals probably don't stick out because the Transit is a world truck that has to be able to operate in older cities with narrow streets and alleys.

Exactly my point !

Why not make a "US only" variant that has a wider stance, better rear brakes, and heavier springs and frame.  By doing it only on the CA/CC version, no sheet metal would have to change and no impact on ROW versions.

15 hours ago, theoldwizard1 said:

My point is, the T350 is such a WEAK player in the CC/CA  market (BTW, the CC/CA is NOT unibody.  It has a frame !). I am sure the RV builders would love it. Currently a niche that is not being filled.

Ford does build a niche vehicle for that market...E350/450 covers it quite well.

12 hours ago, twintornados said:

What would be the big difference other than Transit is unibody and E-Series is a ladder frame with separate cab?

The T450 based motorhome would be shorter and lighter but bigger than what is available on the current T350 chassis.  Admittedly this is a niche.

I still believe that a T350 dually with a wider rear axle (placing the second tire OUTSIDE the body like pickup trucks) is a good idea, but not likely to happen because of sheet metal changes.  They really need to upgrade the rear brakes and rotors on the T350 !

• Like 2

From looking at Transit specs both in NA and UK, it looks like the Transit was designed to be a "5 tonner" at most with GVW limited to 11,000 pounds. The Transit is already close to maxing out it's front GAWR, IIRC the folks doing 4x4 conversions on the diesels were restricting heavy options on the front of the van to avoid overloading that front axle. There is also the issue of width- Giving the RV industry carte blanche to build 96 inch and even 102 inch wide bodies on an 82 inch wide Transit chassis is asking for "nuclear" lawsuit verdicts. So when you get done properly giving the Transit a GVW over 5 tons about all the Transit you'll have left is maybe a Transit cab and powertrain.