Moderator's New PC

Just took delivery yesterday of a new HP OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-0380t (Built-to-Order with every available upgrade) to replace existing OMEN Desktop that was Built-to-Order 4.5 years ago. Thanks to the pandemic impact on microchip and component costs, it made more sense to buy a new PC now to meet computing needs and avoid further price increases. Primary PC function is advertising production including print design in addition to audio and video production.   

• Intel® Core™ i9-10900K W/Liquid Cooling (3.7 GHz up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB L3 cache, 10 cores)
  • HyperX® 64 GB DDR4-3200 XMP RGB SDRAM (4 x 16 GB)
  • 4 TB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 RAID Configuration
    • WD Black 2 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
    • WD Black 2 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
  • 3rd Storage - 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD 
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3090 (24 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo
  • Front Bezel Shadow Black Glass, Dark Chrome Logo+ Side Cover Glass with Cooler Master AMP 750 W Platinum efficiency power supply
  • HP 3-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • External I/O Ports: Top:2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 microphone; 1 headphone/microphone combo Rear:1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate; 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 10Gbps signaling rate; 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 2 USB 2.0 Type-A; 1 audio-in; 1 audio-out; 1 microphone; 1 RJ-45

Desktop was delivered 4 days ahead of the ETA!

Initial set up done with upgrade to Windows 11 Professional Preview. It'll take some time to do a clean install and configuration of all the Adobe Creative Cloud programs I work with plus Microsoft 365. Transferring files is one thing but I prefer to do clean software installations. 

Further adventures to follow!

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 4

AWESOME!

I have a problem that I wasn't expecting when I upgraded my laptop.  It was supposed to replace both my laptop and desktop, but I have two program, one on each that I can not reload.  One requires activation, and the publisher went out of business with no avenue for activation.  The other, Adobe bought the program name, and if you try and load the program, Adobe forces you into buying the updated program.

24 minutes ago, road turtle said:

AWESOME!

I have a problem that I wasn't expecting when I upgraded my laptop.  It was supposed to replace both my laptop and desktop, but I have two program, one on each that I can not reload.  One requires activation, and the publisher went out of business with no avenue for activation.  The other, Adobe bought the program name, and if you try and load the program, Adobe forces you into buying the updated program.

I'd be interested in knowing what program, now Adobe, requires buying the updated version. Most, if not all, Adobe software now requires an annual subscription.

Edited by ice-capades
Correction

8 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I'd be interested in knowing what program, now Adobe, requires buying the updated version. Most, if not all, Adobe software now requires an annual subscription.

Dreamweaver.  When they folded the program, they put out the universal activation code.  Since then Adobe has bought the license and they require you to go to monthly subscription.  I use it to maintain my personal website.

The other one is Living cookbook.  I have a very large database of recipes.  It still runs on my old laptop, but I lose it there, and I'm in deep trouble.  I publish it from time to time to a word file.

10 hours ago, road turtle said:

Dreamweaver.  When they folded the program, they put out the universal activation code.  Since then Adobe has bought the license and they require you to go to monthly subscription.  I use it to maintain my personal website.

The other one is Living cookbook.  I have a very large database of recipes.  It still runs on my old laptop, but I lose it there, and I'm in deep trouble.  I publish it from time to time to a word file.

Adobe took over Dreamweaver years and years ago. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Huzzar said:

Any feedback on Windows 11? Standout positives or negatives?

I've been using it for several months, and overall, it's pretty good.  A couple things I don't like:

1) It automatically combines things in the task bar, and there's no way to change it like previous versions.  For instance, if you have 3 file explorer windows open, it combines them all into one icon and you have to hover over to select which one you want.  That's my one major gripe, and it's a biggie!

2) The words are gone for cut/copy/paste on the file explorer right-click menu.  It gives you icons, and I prefer the words over deciphering icons.

13 hours ago, Huzzar said:

Any feedback on Windows 11? Standout positives or negatives?

I've been running Windows 11 (Developer's Channel) since it became available in June via the Windows Insider program and have been part of the program since it was started years ago. Windows 11 is a relatively minor update from Windows 10 with the new Start Menu being the most obvious visual change. The Windows 10 Start Menu used tiles that could be pinned, organized and categorized easily but Windows 11 Start Menu did away with the tiles and now just uses icons with minimal customization available and no ability to organize them other than moving selected program icons to the top but no ability to categorize them. Windows 11 is more accurately Windows 10 v2.0 and not a major upgrade other than enhanced security and upgrade requirements. The change from Windows 10 to Windows 11 is primarily a marketing exercise. 

The Windows Insider Program is not the same as it was for years with new features and updates on a regular basis. Unfortunately, for the past several years new features are released sporadically at best with weekly preview builds being primarily bug fixes. Updates and new features that would be easy to accomplish and enhance the visual fit and finish of the OS have dragged on for years. It many ways the Windows Insider Program seems to be an example of key Microsoft staff actually slowing down product development to protect their job security! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huzzar said:

Thanks for the insight. Now I know there's no need to upgrade my laptop. ? I'll get Windows 11 when my current one starts misbehaving.

Depending on how old your laptop is, you'll need to check whether it meets the new processor requirements, etc. to qualify for the Windows 11 upgrade. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I got hosed with those requirements.  2 of my desktops are Gen7?  Right at the cut off.  TPM chips are also required.  I had those.

The only PC that meets the requirements is my weather PC that keeps my weather website up to date.  But no real gain by upgrading that at them moment.  I'll wait for the bugs to get ironed out.