Factory spray in bed liner vs. LineX and others

LarryD

I had a 2011 F-250 that I had Line-X installed and a 2013 F-350 that had the factory spray in bed liner. Both held up well and I would say are really close in quality. But the LineX had a better overall fit and finish to it. The installer taped over all the tie downs and removed the rubber drain inserts prior to spraying the bed liner. The factory liner was sprayed overtop of all the tie downs and the rubber inserts. Things could be different now with the factory bedliner.

My dealer recommended using the shop that they outsource to instead of using the factory sprayed bedliner.  Of course I know they will get some kick back or make some money on it as well, but when he said that their shop takes all the bolts, tie downs, and inserts out to tape and spray around I was sold on it.  It was the same price as ordering from Ford, so no difference to my pocket.  I looked at an F150 that they had on the lot with the bedliner done by the shop they bring them too and it looked pretty nice.  I'm sure the place Ford outsources them to from the factory is just trying to turn them around so fast that they don't have time to take everything out and so they just spray over it all.

I just deleted the spray in liner solely because if/when my truck gets produced, I don’t want the down time offsite before it gets shipped. I’d rather just get the truck here asap and schedule LineX or equivalent on my own time. I honestly don’t care either way as quality is concerned, I think they are both excellent products.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JKinTx said:

I'm a sucker for the Ford emblem in the bed. Wish they would just give Line X the ability to put into theirs. 

I never even notice they did that until you said something! It does look pretty nice. 

We decided to go aftermarket (narrowed down to Line-x) in case we ever needed a repair or warranty fix on the liner. We liked the idea of using a local shop to get it done, too.

We've never had a spray in liner but we plan to only use our F450 For towing our fifth wheel and love the look. I always worried about how they held up until I did some research... They sound pretty tough! We have an older F250 with a drop in liner that we plan to use for all the other bed abusive stuff. ?

2 hours ago, DMBKaren41 said:

I never even notice they did that until you said something! It does look pretty nice. 

We decided to go aftermarket (narrowed down to Line-x) in case we ever needed a repair or warranty fix on the liner. We liked the idea of using a local shop to get it done, too.

We've never had a spray in liner but we plan to only use our F450 For towing our fifth wheel and love the look. I always worried about how they held up until I did some research... They sound pretty tough! We have an older F250 with a drop in liner that we plan to use for all the other bed abusive stuff. ?

Oh yeah I love the spray in bed liner. I never understood why someone wants a scratched up nasty looking bed. I never got that. Anyways, they seem to hold up well so far as I can tell. Also, why did you personally go 450 vs 350 for your 5er. We are trying to make the same decision.

31 minutes ago, JKinTx said:

Oh yeah I love the spray in bed liner. I never understood why someone wants a scratched up nasty looking bed. I never got that. Anyways, they seem to hold up well so far as I can tell. Also, why did you personally go 450 vs 350 for your 5er. We are trying to make the same decision.

I decided on F350 as the wife vetoed a dually.  I also expressed that we wouldn't then be getting a monster 5th wheel.  For other reasons we decided on a smaller 5er.

If you're in dually territory, might as well get the F450 for the improved turning radius.  What is the expected pin weight of the 5th wheel at trailers GVWR.  20-25% of trailer GVWR will be roughly calculation of pin weight.  Pin weight + gear + passenger weight (minus 300 lbs), of your fully loaded truck and trailer, should be below the trucks payload capacity.  Dually doesn't come without negatives, but will be more stable and has a substantially higher payload capacity.  Roughly, and this depends a lot on the selected truck engine, if you start getting into 38'+ 5th wheels, you probably should be looking at dually.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JKinTx said:

So a lot of what road turtle says rings true for us). We were getting a dually no matter what.... It seems like a lot of people cut it very close and are probably even over payload with a heavier pin weight. My husband adamantly believes DRW is the only way to go with a heavier fifth wheel. The cost isn't much different than a 350. Turning radius, bigger brakes, commercial tires are the reasons my husband chose it (OK let's face it, I'll probably drive the thing but I'm a little anxious about learning to tow our fifth wheel ?). We live in NY and according to my agent, there is no issue insuring either under our regular policy so we decided to just go for the gusto (they technically have the same gvwr unless you derate). The 450 jhas some heavier duty parts. We will not be using as a daily driver and plan to garage in winter so it should last forever through any trailer we decide to use in the future. 

Price them out, and quote your insurance if that's an issue in whatever state you are in.... That might help you decide! 

• Like 1

I've done Linex on last 2 trucks,  both with color match.  My last 350 had Bronze Fire color and it held up great.  Yes some scratches but look worse in

photo than in real life,  no fade.  My new King Ranch 2022 came in this week,  got the nice white package so did Ford Spray on and its done very nice.

DSC05059.JPG

• Like 1