Ford GT Mule Spied

30 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, perhaps they could use some of the gt's suspension components, brakes, and maybe a modified version of it's carbon tub. Use the 5.0 with around 500 hp, maybe utilize the dct from the gt500. As you mentioned, you could make the body out of cheaper materials, like aluminum or fiberglass. In terms of pricing, I agree, price it around or slightly above the starting price of the gt500. Perhaps it could have a starting price between 65-70 grand. 

I think that is all very reasonable. I remain unconvinced about a mid-engine Mustang coming, but I think the likelihood of one coming is higher than it normally is. They clearly have something cooking performance wise though, even if it's keeping an eye on the competition the past few months.

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

IMO I think a true gt successor would be an EV, or at least a hybrid, as that vehicle is meant to be a halo product that showcases ford's latest and greatest tech to demonstrate Ford's technical capabilities. So I agree with you to an extent. I think the Fordzilla P1 project hints at what the next ford gt could be, while it would be virtually impossible to produce it as is, I believe that car is giving us a hint of where the gt is going.

But I think if Ford is truly considering a C8 rival, they might be planning a "lower tech" mid-engine mustang that utilizes much of the current mustang's tech, and offers a price that is very competitive with the c8's. So while it's a stretch, there could be a time in the near or distant future where we have multiple mid-engine ford exotics, which sounds incredible to me personally.

fordzilla p1 #2.jpg

Team-Fordzilla-P1-above.png

I agree with you on the first point.

My comments were directed at the talk of a mid engine Mustang derivative.   In my mind, it wouldn't be using parts from either Mustang or GT aside from perhaps suspension components and electrical systems and whatnot, as I'd think any mid "engine" Mustang would be a BEV.

3 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

I think that is all very reasonable. I remain unconvinced about a mid-engine Mustang coming, but I think the likelihood of one coming is higher than it normally is. They clearly have something cooking performance wise though, even if it's keeping an eye on the competition the past few months.

It could be a next generation Ford GT, there were a lot of people who couldn’t get one or even get on a list to be even considered…….

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It could be a next generation Ford GT, there were a lot of people who couldn’t get one or even get on a list to be even considered…….

Definitely a possibility. Though, I do think a next-generation GT would need a bit more tech than appears to be on this mule at this point.

11 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I've considered this as well, but as Broncofan stated, if this was the next gen gt, you'd expect it to be something with really high tech, not a v8, and especially not a pushrod v8.

7 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I've considered this as well, but as Broncofan stated, if this was the next gen gt, you'd expect it to be something with really high tech, not a v8, and especially not a pushrod v8.

That may be so but of all the thousands of buyers who couldn’t get a Ford GT,

how many of those people would give anything to own a modern “427 GT”?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That may be so but of all the thousands of buyers who couldn’t get a Ford GT,

how many of those people would give anything to own a modern “427 GT”?

Especially if it were in the same price range as the C8, although that would seem pretty much impossible to achieve with the current GT regardless of the drivetrain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Especially if it were in the same price range as the C8, although that would seem pretty much impossible to achieve with the current GT regardless of the drivetrain.

The Ford GT I believe is mostly carbon fiber which is very expensive. Just building the same body out of metal could save boat loads of money. Using the engine from the GT 500 would certainly give the GT street cred. Building it on the Mustang assembly line would save more money as GT is hand built. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Yeah, if they do make a gt with a v8, it'll cost considerably more than the current gt. The only way to match the c8's price point is to essentially start over, and develop a mid-engine car to fit into that price point from the beginning.

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

The Ford GT I believe is mostly carbon fiber which is very expensive. Just building the same body out of metal could save boat loads of money. Using the engine from the GT 500 would certainly give the GT street cred. Building it on the Mustang assembly line would save more money as GT is hand built. 

A gt500 powered gt would be awesome. I agree, ditching most of the carbon fiber bodywork would be a great way to lower the cost quite a bit. But from my understanding, those flying buttresses essentially couldn't be recreated with a metal press. Like the shape is almost too aggressive and curvatious to be recreated with a stamping machine. So they'd have to redesign the rear and tame it down quite a bit.

42 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

A gt500 powered gt would be awesome. I agree, ditching most of the carbon fiber bodywork would be a great way to lower the cost quite a bit. But from my understanding, those flying buttresses essentially couldn't be recreated with a metal press. Like the shape is almost too aggressive and curvatious to be recreated with a stamping machine. So they'd have to redesign the rear and tame it down quite a bit.

I thought one of the reasons they went with a V6 EcoBoost in the first place was because of the extremely narrow engine bay which was a direct result of those flying buttresses? I suspect a four cam V8 wouldn't fit anyway but a pushrod V8 might at least have a fighting chance. An aluminum block 6.8 with a shorter stroke and lower deck height would be even lighter and more compact than the 7.3 Godzilla. And, if they went with a PTWA block they could open up the bore a little more and get to that magical 7.0L (427ci) size. 

29 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

I thought one of the reasons they went with a V6 EcoBoost in the first place was because of the extremely narrow engine bay which was a direct result of those flying buttresses? I suspect a four cam V8 wouldn't fit anyway but a pushrod V8 might at least have a fighting chance. An aluminum block 6.8 with a shorter stroke and lower deck height would be even lighter and more compact than the 7.3 Godzilla. And, if they went with a PTWA block they could open up the bore a little more and get to that magical 7.0L (427ci) size. 

Even with 60 degree V angle  TTV6 and it’s turbos is actually wider than the Coyote V8,  the V6 is

naturally shorter in  length which would throw up redesign issues but not out of the question.

That rear engine compartment looks to be roomy in the right places.

Anyone thinking that is a mule for a mid engine Mustang with C8 pricing , think again

as this looks to be cashing in on the GT with more half million dollar versions.

If Ford no longer wants to qualify GT for Le Mans racing then limiting choices 

to the TTV6 or atmo  5.2 DOHC is not necessary, they can use “anything”.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Indeed, the GT used the 3.5 Ecoboost as it was their best engine to win Le Mans.......which they did. The regulations stated forced induction engines could be no larger than 4 litres (the Ferraris run a 3.9 TT V8). The n/a Coyote or even a n/a 5.2 V8 just wouldn't have been powerful enough and adding forced induction was out of the question due to the regulations, so the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost was a natural fit. 

If they're not looking to run the GT in Le Mans or similar series, then they can stick any engine they like in it as a road car.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 10:55 AM, rmc523 said:

Eh, some extra wings and vents won't change the core design issues.

No, but ride height, wheel/tire package, front and rear bumper design will.  A lot dictates road presence beyond chassis hard points.  

It's like saying a the V6 Mustang can't be made into a GT500.  

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Even with 60 degree V angle  TTV6 and it’s turbos is actually wider than the Coyote V8,  the V6 is

naturally shorter in  length which would throw up redesign issues but not out of the question.

That rear engine compartment looks to be roomy in the right places.

Anyone thinking that is a mule for a mid engine Mustang with C8 pricing , think again

as this looks to be cashing in on the GT with more half million dollar versions.

If Ford no longer wants to qualify GT for Le Mans racing then limiting choices 

to the TTV6 or atmo  5.2 DOHC is not necessary, they can use “anything”.

Sorry, but I just don't see it, ford won't even use the 7.3 in the mustang, so I don't see why they would use it for their halo car.  Which is why I, and many others are leaning towards this being a mule for something else, that just makes more sense. 

5 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Sorry, but I just don't see it, ford won't even use the 7.3 in the mustang, so I don't see why they would use it for their halo car.  Which is why I, and many others are leaning towards this being a mule for something else, that just makes more sense. 

The 6.8 is most definitely going into some version of Mustang and F150, that was leaked by Dias at a press conference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

The 6.8 is most definitely going into some version of Mustang and F150, that was leaked by Dias at a press conference.

That would be cool, but if we do get a mustang with the 6.8, my money is on it being something like the next Cobra jet. But I don't think we'll see a street legal mustang with a 6.8 or the 7.3 unfortunately.

10 hours ago, ESP08 said:

No, but ride height, wheel/tire package, front and rear bumper design will.  A lot dictates road presence beyond chassis hard points.  

It's like saying a the V6 Mustang can't be made into a GT500.  

You can make something look better with variants like you mention, but doesn't mean it's not just putting lipstick on a pig.

With the leaps and bounds that EV sport cars...er...super cars are making ie Tesla Plaid able to run low 9 sec 1/4 miles at 150+ MPH with insane top speeds (3 electric motors combined to making 1020HP or so) and more so the Rimac Nevera able to run 8 sec 1/4 miles at 165+ MPH and even crazier top speeds (4 electric motors at each wheel capable of independent use as well as torque vectoring and making somewhere near 1600HP or so I heard), the Ford GT should be the premier EV super car that everyone else will need to benchmark to keep up, If Ford is as serious with EV tech and implementation, they should showcase the performance capabilities, maybe take what was learned from the Mustang Mach E 1400 and transition it to the Ford GT and let the performance EV tech trickle down from there to the rest of the Ford lineup. Looks like Dodge has already made it clear that they will be focusing on high performance electric variants for there line up, but a supercharged or twin turbo 5.0, 5.2, 6.8, 7.0, 7.3 or (since Chevy is coming out with a 5.5l DOHC flat plane for the C8) a bullet proof 5.2 twin turbo Voodoo that revs to 10K...ok, ok coming back to reality lol

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

That would be cool, but if we do get a mustang with the 6.8, my money is on it being something like the next Cobra jet. But I don't think we'll see a street legal mustang with a 6.8 or the 7.3 unfortunately.

That may be true but consider  this,

the 6.8 is timed to arrive around the tim that the SC 5.2 production line ends. If it is the new HP engine, I could see how selling it as limited production would work for Ford.

How about a design cue Ford GT type sports car with V8/hybrid in the same price range as Acura NSX....$160,000-200,000+. Ford has the V8 engines and experience from present Ford GT. The C8 Corvette is beatable and lots of buyer interest in Ford super car that more enthusiasts can afford. 

20 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

That may be true but consider  this,

the 6.8 is timed to arrive around the tim that the SC 5.2 production line ends. If it is the new HP engine, I could see how selling it as limited production would work for Ford.

I don't know if you would know, but is this 6.8 supposed to have any form of forced induction?