Ford GT Mule Spied

On 8/16/2021 at 3:39 PM, rmc523 said:

You can make something look better with variants like you mention, but doesn't mean it's not just putting lipstick on a pig.

Except a GT500 has a lot of road presence and a base V6 Mustang has almost none.   

5 hours ago, ESP08 said:

Except a GT500 has a lot of road presence and a base V6 Mustang has almost none.   

Missing the point completely.

I don't like the Corvette design, period.  Putting more vents and different wheels might improve it some, but those measures, IMO, will still not to overcome the core design issues - proportions, grafting front engine C7 design cues onto a midengine, etc.

It'd be akin to taking the existing Mustang and pushing the cab forward and the engine in back while using the same design and thinking that would look good, rather than starting from scratch using cues inspired by past models.

24 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't like the Corvette design, period.  Putting more vents and different wheels might improve it some, but those measures, IMO, will still not to overcome the core design issues - proportions, grafting front engine C7 design cues onto a midengine, etc.

It'd be akin to taking the existing Mustang and pushing the cab forward and the engine in back while using the same design and thinking that would look good, rather than starting from scratch using cues inspired by past models.

Regarding the Corvette, I agree about the styling.  The front half just doesn’t seem to match the back half.  I’ve gotten use to it, but it still looks off. 

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I don't think cheesing it up with vents is the way to go.  

But a more aggressive (larger/wider) wheel & tire combo, lower stance, better implemented front/rear fascias and hood can help it immensely if done correctly. 

Some of the all time best looking cars are mid-engined -- the C8 isn't one of them but MY point is there is clearly a LOT of room for improvement over the base C8.  

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

While this car has some cheesy details I think it's decent indicator where the C8 proportions can be taken in future iterations.  

FAR from horrible:  

C81.JPG

C82.JPG

2 hours ago, CurtisH said:

Regarding the Corvette, I agree about the styling.  The front half just doesn’t seem to match the back half.  I’ve gotten use to it, but it still looks off. 

The odd think I've noticed about the c8, is the front looks really sharp and aggressive, then as you move along the side, it becomes flatter and more bulbous. For instance, the relatively curvy quarter panel doesn't match the front end, nor does it match the really boxy rear. It feels like the front, side and rear all came from 3 distinct design themes, and they tried to mash them all together.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CurtisH said:

I think I’ve only seen one C8.  Maybe I’ve just overlooked them. 

They are all over the place here in So Cal ...and that said...literally 90% of the drivers are from exactly the same mould...anyone that states stereotypes don't have an element of truth to them needs an eye test 

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

They are all over the place here in So Cal ...and that said...literally 90% of the drivers are from exactly the same mould...anyone that states stereotypes don't have an element of truth to them needs an eye test 

They are all over the place here in Florida too. And mostly old guys like myself driving them too. Lots of Boxsters and Miatas also with top down of course. Must be a bitch getting in and out of them with stiff knees. Ouch!

• Haha 1

My brother-in-law has a C7 and one of my best friends has a C8 and they are basically the same color, silver with black accents. As far as styling goes, IMO the C7 wins hands down. It's as if GM spent all their money on engineering the C8 and the body was just an afterthought. In the past the Corvette was always the standard bearer for the affordable American sportscar. Now it's just a cheap imitation of something sort of Italian.  

1 hour ago, blksn8k2 said:

My brother-in-law has a C7 and one of my best friends has a C8 and they are basically the same color, silver with black accents. As far as styling goes, IMO the C7 wins hands down. It's as if GM spent all their money on engineering the C8 and the body was just an afterthought. In the past the Corvette was always the standard bearer for the affordable American sportscar. Now it's just a cheap imitation of something sort of Italian.  

I think they went mid engine specifically to compete with Porsche, Ford and Ferrari in WEC and LeMans.  Seems to be a wasted effort from that standpoint.

Ford had a heritage version to inspire the new GT so it doesn’t look like an Italian knockoff.

• Thanks 1