Im looking to trade my ranger for an 02 f250 7.3 6 spd. it has the ZF S6-650 6 Speed 4WD trans. it currently does not have 3rd and 4th. couple questions. A. How hard is it to rebuild these? B. How hard is it to find a good one without ordering a reman online? im heavily considering both options but want a second opinion from people that are far more expierenced with fords than me. im willing to do the work to rebuild it but im also just fine with swapping it.

I had a '99 7.3L with a 6 speed and replaced the transmission myself at around 350k mi. This was back in '08 and at that time it wasn't much more to purchase a reman with a 1yr /12k warranty for much more. Now days I couldn't tell you the difference in cost, but over all it wasn't hard to swap out the transmission if you have the proper tools to do it. I also replaced the OE clutch with a South Bend clutch and the throw out bearing. I purchased the reman transmission from Fuller Ford in Cincinnati as I lived in Northern KY at the time.