Feels like I'm driving on a flat

CyDone

I drive a 2016 Ford Fusion SE.  I also do Lyft, so I put a lot of miles on my car here in Phoenix.  I get a lot of compliments on my Fusion.  It's in the "Burnt Bronze" color.  Anyway, last night as I was driving slowly I started getting that feeling like I was driving on a flat. Pulled over, checked all the tires for visible lumps or signs of a flat, nothing. Checked all the tires pressure, good. Checked out all the lug nuts. A few were the slightest bit loose, and I mean the slightest. I can't really isolate the tire on the left side yet, but it feels like it's coming from the left side. I recently had my 2 back tires replaced with new ones. But, that was like over a month ago, and I just started feeling this now. When I'm under about 25mph, it is SUPER pronounced.  After 25mph, it gets MUCH less pronounced. Almost to the point where it can almost be confused for being on a poorly paved road. Not like a bad road, just unevenly paved. The car has absolutely no drift to it when letting go of the steering wheel, so I'm hoping then because of that, that it's not a bearing, tie rod or axle. Any ideas?  Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question in.  Looking for help anywhere I can lol.  And I would like to get as many ideas or suggestions as I can before I end up taking this thing in and actually have to pay money for it lol.  Thanks again.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:30 AM, CyDone said:

I drive a 2016 Ford Fusion SE.  I also do Lyft, so I put a lot of miles on my car here in Phoenix.  I get a lot of compliments on my Fusion.  It's in the "Burnt Bronze" color.  Anyway, last night as I was driving slowly I started getting that feeling like I was driving on a flat. Pulled over, checked all the tires for visible lumps or signs of a flat, nothing. Checked all the tires pressure, good. Checked out all the lug nuts. A few were the slightest bit loose, and I mean the slightest. I can't really isolate the tire on the left side yet, but it feels like it's coming from the left side. I recently had my 2 back tires replaced with new ones. But, that was like over a month ago, and I just started feeling this now. When I'm under about 25mph, it is SUPER pronounced.  After 25mph, it gets MUCH less pronounced. Almost to the point where it can almost be confused for being on a poorly paved road. Not like a bad road, just unevenly paved. The car has absolutely no drift to it when letting go of the steering wheel, so I'm hoping then because of that, that it's not a bearing, tie rod or axle. Any ideas?  Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask this question in.  Looking for help anywhere I can lol.  And I would like to get as many ideas or suggestions as I can before I end up taking this thing in and actually have to pay money for it lol.  Thanks again.

Hi CyDone. While Internet diagnosis certainly has its limits, another possibility, from your description, could possibly be an out of round tire. Perhaps a bubble or other defect. And it could be nearly imperceptible to the naked eye, but still felt while driving. So visually inspecting alone may not help.

If you want to perform some self-help, you could switch the tires back to front/front to rear, and see if the problem moves with them.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

• 2 months later...