Plan C-My solution to my Bronco Roof debacle

So I'm one those people stuck in purgatory with my Bronco order. Its been built since 7/2 and now sitting in a lot near MAP.

After the announcements with the roof delays pushing delivery dates back to October/November, I was coming up with a plan B on how to handle the issue. I originally was planning for some delays in getting the Bronco, but my timeline is rapidly running  out-my wife starts a new job with a school district in September (she's been working in the evenings or part time with cases she has over the summer and I'd borrow the car if I needed to get into work in the mornings) and my work was going to start us on a hybrid schedule in October. So with that mind I was scrambling coming up for ideas as how to fix it.

The Plan B was looking at punting on the Bronco order and waiting till 2023MY for it. I was looking at leasing the Mach E as a replacement, but then my wife suggested a Bronco Sport, since it was cheaper and she would like to get one to replace her Escape and she would take over payments when the Bronco came in. I was willing to wait till the end of September to see how things where going to shake out with the new tooling and if there was any other delays popping with it before committing to this.

While this was all going on, my brother in law has been trying to get a Tesla 3 to replace his 2010 Fusion Hybrid. He missed out a month or two ago on getting one and finally nailed one down and is getting it today. 

My wife mentions to me, hey is he gonna trade it in? I said I'm not sure if he can due to Tesla's dealershipless model they use. So I wind up dropping my sister a text at 7AM this morning and come to find out that he is trading it in and they are only giving him $1000 on it...I told her, hey I'll buy it off you for that much and I'll just trade it in when I get my Bronco and most likely get that same amount for a trade in. 

So it looks like I'll be a short term owner of a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 215K miles on it for a few months. I just need a beater car to get around (I've been without my SHO since the end of June) and in the grand scheme of things this will be the cheapest route for me to go to have wheels. 

• Like 13

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

My wife mentions to me, hey is he gonna trade it in? I said I'm not sure if he can due to Tesla's dealershipless model they use. So I wind up dropping my sister a text at 7AM this morning and come to find out that he is trading it in and they are only giving him $1000 on it...I told her, hey I'll buy it off you for that much and I'll just trade it in when I get my Bronco and most likely get that same amount for a trade in. 

So it looks like I'll be a short term owner of a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid with 215K miles on it for a few months. I just need a beater car to get around (I've been without my SHO since the end of June) and in the grand scheme of things this will be the cheapest route for me to go to have wheels. 

Some days it's better to be lucky than good.  Great that a short-term solution worked out for you.

HRG

52 minutes ago, bzcat said:

$1000? I think you can flip it for a profit honestly.

I was thinking the same thing, BUT....

So my wife dropped the money yesterday after she was done with work. My sister was having one our cousins over dinner and invited us over to join them. She proceeded to get into a rush for some reason and backed her Explorer out of the garage and HIT the Fusion, breaking the lower grill off!

IMG_9840.thumb.jpg.e5e67b976b4f2ca646b9fb28924f7cf0.jpgIMG_9839.thumb.jpg.5f51b755c17a34b7e8cb0e0e9f92c6c2.jpg

Need less to say my frustration levels went off the charts with this incident. The ultimate end game is she's giving me $100 bucks back and I found a replacement lower grill on ebay for $60 bucks shipped. it won't be perfect, but shouldn't be too bad. I noticed the car has rust in the lower rear quarter near the rear wheels, I'll have to dig into that and see if I can fix it with some minor body work. The paint should come out decent after some detailing and polishing. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Hmmm pricing isn't bad at all for what you get for a repair kit. I'll have to order the set to repair it.

Wife backed into a porch with the rear hatch open on her 08 Edge with the tri coat platinum white.  I repaired the corner about 16 in both ways and it was a perfect repair even with the tri coat.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, silvrsvt said:

So I'm one those people stuck in purgatory with my Bronco order. Its been built since 7/2 and now sitting in a lot near MAP.

After the announcements with the roof delays pushing delivery dates back to October/November, I was coming up with a plan B on how to handle the issue. I originally was planning for some delays in getting the Bronco, but my timeline is rapidly running  out-my wife starts a new job with a school district in September (she's been working in the evenings or part time with cases she has over the summer and I'd borrow the car if I needed to get into work in the mornings) and my work was going to start us on a hybrid schedule in October. So with that mind I was scrambling coming up for ideas as how to fix it.

The Plan B was looking at punting on the Bronco order and waiting till 2023MY for it. I was looking at leasing the Mach E as a replacement, but then my wife suggested a Bronco Sport, since it was cheaper and she would like to get one to replace her Escape and she would take over payments when the Bronco came in. I was willing to wait till the end of September to see how things where going to shake out with the new tooling and if there was any other delays popping with it before committing to this.

While this was all going on, my brother in law has been trying to get a Tesla 3 to replace his 2010 Fusion Hybrid. He missed out a month or two ago on getting one and finally nailed one down and is getting it today. 

Good for you for sticking it out; after this weekend seeing some friends I'm out. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and see what he can find in terms of a vehicle for the next few years and go from there.  

I'm gonna be jealous when I see them on the road but just too many things just don't sit right with me on this. 

10 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Care to share more details on what caused you to give up on your Bronco?  

When I mentioned I was thinking of getting something else and just wait until 2023/24 MY, as I didn't want a vehicle that has said in a field for 6 months with a bad roof that is possibly leaking, no real timetable we'll let you know in Sept and who knows what other issues are going to come up as production starts up.  I got a "that is probably a good idea" and a smile. Ford has cracked down super hard on employees for any leaks they don't approve so I tried to just keep vague questions I don't want anyone to lose their job. I might have read too much into the conversation but it just seemed off when we talked about the Bronco vs when we talked about Blue Cruise, Lightning and new BEV vehicles. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

When I mentioned I was thinking of getting something else and just wait until 2023/24 MY, as I didn't want a vehicle that has said in a field for 6 months with a bad roof that is possibly leaking, no real timetable we'll let you know in Sept and who knows what other issues are going to come up as production starts up.  I got a "that is probably a good idea" and a smile. Ford has cracked down super hard on employees for any leaks they don't approve so I tried to just keep vague questions I don't want anyone to lose their job. I might have read too much into the conversation but it just seemed off when we talked about the Bronco vs when we talked about Blue Cruise, Lightning and new BEV vehicles. 

I mean.  That sounds logical regardless of the situation.  I'd guess if you didn't have one built/sitting there, you'd probably wait?

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I mean.  That sounds logical regardless of the situation.  I'd guess if you didn't have one built/sitting there, you'd probably wait?

I would 100%, I’m going to drive a hybrid f-150 tomorrow and get some numbers. I thought about a new Raptor as well as the dealer has one coming in that is available, but part of me is save the money for a few years for a Bronco. 

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

I would 100%, I’m going to drive a hybrid f-150 tomorrow and get some numbers. I thought about a new Raptor as well as the dealer has one coming in that is available, but part of me is save the money for a few years for a Bronco. 

Makes sense.  I'm waiting, but don't have one in purgatory - I wouldn't be thrilled about my vehicle sitting someone forever (I know they sit on lots, etc), but still.

38 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Makes sense.  I'm waiting, but don't have one in purgatory - I wouldn't be thrilled about my vehicle sitting someone forever (I know they sit on lots, etc), but still.

The purgatory for me makes it easier to walk, the we will let you know what the plan is in Sept just tops it off as they have missed every date they have said so far.

It is smart to do the 30-45 day info timeline as if your days are longer than that people will walk.  Just give a new date 30-45 days in the future when you miss it. In actuality Ford’s PR game is on point with this, ignore everything and have total lack of most communication and just release little bits to keep people interested and the wait going.

As I’m typing this i’m realizing Ford  

is just pretty much just Gas lighting us ?