Navigation feature just "disappeared"

Our nearly new 2021 Aviator lost the navigation function.  Just before it ceased to appear on the screen, it would give wrong location and wrong directions--then NOTHING.  I'd try posting on the Lincoln Owners website, but I never registered there because it seems to be populated by people who don't have the overall knowledge base of the members on this website.  And, on edit, it does not do a forced reboot by pressing the "power" and "seek up" buttons simultaneously.

Edited by Going_Going_Gone

On 8/15/2021 at 1:09 PM, Going_Going_Gone said:

Our nearly new 2021 Aviator lost the navigation function.  Just before it ceased to appear on the screen, it would give wrong location and wrong directions--then NOTHING.  I'd try posting on the Lincoln Owners website, but I never registered there because it seems to be populated by people who don't have the overall knowledge base of the members on this website.  And, on edit, it does not do a forced reboot by pressing the "power" and "seek up" buttons simultaneously.

Hi Going. Although some people don't like to hear this, the best thing to do with most brand new, still under warranty vehicle issues is make a service appointment at some point, to have the underlying problem properly diagnosed and corrected. If it disappeared once, it will very likely do it again. 

I certainly understand asking online, but most of the perfectly well-intentioned advice you will get is going to be a band-aid (including mine), which in many cases will only hide the problem for awhile. And sometimes just long enough for the Bumper to Bumper Warranty to run out.

So my opinion, for what it is worth: Internet advice is great for out of warranty issues. While still within the Bumper to Bumper Warranty, it is best to have the vehicle looked at.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

• Like 2

bbf2530,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  My "shot in the dark" subheading was me hoping that someone else had experienced that same issue, took theirs in for service. and could relate what the actual fix was.  Apparently this is just one of those odd electronic gremlins.  

We do intend on making a service appointment to have this looked into--hopefully without the dreaded "unable to duplicate" on the service order.  Problem is that there are three Lincoln dealers in the Phoenix metro area, none of them are near us, the closest one doesn't like to do warranty work on vehicles they didn't sell, and ours is the farthest away.  We'll most likely schedule a pick-up appointment with our dealer and, by the time it can be scheduled, the vehicle will be due for its next service appointment and we can kill two birds.  Generally we just go to the Ford dealer for routine service and wait.

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth to anyone with issues like ours--Scheduled a service visit to address complaints.  Specifically, no map on the Home Screen, blank screen, screen defaulting to eight rectangles with touch selections that don't respond and no ability to restore Home Screen, and finally the Home Screen returns with a circled gps with diagonal line through it in lower left quadrant of screen.  Two hours at dealer and they tried loading a Sync update which they said would cure the blank screen issues but we had to leave to get grandson to Dr. appointment and the screen was frozen with the eight rectangles.  We will be taking it back because the GPS hardware is stowed in the driver's side rear fender area and no time to tear into while we waited.  We'll wait until they have a loaner available and have them pick up at home and take their time figuring out the issue(s).IMG_5660.HEIC 

• 3 weeks later...

As it turned out, the problem with the navigation was corrected.  Paperwork showed a "Master Reset of the Sync System" was performed.    Why this was not attempted on the first (three-hour) service appointment, who knows; but at any rate, it seems to be working as intended again.  The "black screen" situation could not be replicated and did not leave any codes behind.