Why is Ford benchmarking a Dodge Charger Hellcat?

https://fordauthority.com/2021/08/ford-caught-benchmarking-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-around-dearborn/

I don't normally like to repeat rumours, but rumours are all we have, so.......

The Charger Hellcat is the polar opposite of what the future holds for us enthusiasts. But could Ford be giving us one last hurrah before an all electric future? Ford recently updated the Thunderbird trademark. Would they give us a 6.8/7.3/5.0 V8 muscle saloon? That would certainly give us the thunder!

One would assume such a car would have to be based on a stretched S550/S650 platform, so could this be the rumoured 4-door Mustang? It seems a LONG time ago that such a 4-door Mustang was allegedly mentioned at a dealer presentation. And the "6.8 will be for F150 and Mustang derivatives" comment from the UAW agreement was a long time ago, too. There certainly haven't been any mules or prototypes spotted, heck we haven't seen any prototypes of the '23MY S650 Mustang period!! 

Whilst I'd welcome such a car, could they just be benchmarking it's performance whilst they develop an EV muscle car, just as Dodge themselves have announced is coming?

Ford Dodge Charger.jpg

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

https://fordauthority.com/2021/08/ford-caught-benchmarking-dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-around-dearborn/

I don't normally like to repeat rumours, but rumours are all we have, so.......

The Charger Hellcat is the polar opposite of what the future holds for us enthusiasts. But could Ford be giving us one last hurrah before an all electric future? Ford recently updated the Thunderbird trademark. Would they give us a 6.8/7.3/5.0 V8 muscle saloon? That would certainly give us the thunder!

One would assume such a car would have to be based on a stretched S550/S650 platform, so could this be the rumoured 4-door Mustang? It seems a LONG time ago that such a 4-door Mustang was allegedly mentioned at a dealer presentation. And the "6.8 will be for F150 and Mustang derivatives" comment from the UAW agreement was a long time ago, too. There certainly haven't been any mules or prototypes spotted, heck we haven't seen any prototypes of the '23MY S650 Mustang period!! 

Whilst I'd welcome such a car, could they just be benchmarking it's performance whilst they develop an EV muscle car, just as Dodge themselves have announced is coming?

Ford Dodge Charger.jpg

Maybe the Dodge Charger has a 6.8 Ford engine in it for testing purposes. It would be the perfect cover. Hmmmm?

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Doubtful, but they could also benchmark it for an EV equivalent?

Yeah, was thinking that too. While I keep expecting another Mustang (coupe, CUV, sedan) it would surprise me for the sedan to be an ICE at this point.  But if it is for BEV development then why not a Model S/3. 

Could also be about the engine and have nothing to do with the body style. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Doubtful, but they could also benchmark it for an EV equivalent?

Why not just use a Tesla model S if it is an ev equivalent? That seems to be the electric sedan performance standard and what it would be compared against.  I’m guessing it’s to compare with the 6.8L.  Possible Ford has several chargers, one with a 6.8L and another with the hellcat to compare apples to apples on engine performance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sullynd said:

Yeah, was thinking that too. While I keep expecting another Mustang (coupe, CUV, sedan) it would surprise me for the sedan to be an ICE at this point.  But if it is for BEV development then why not a Model S/3. 

Could also be about the engine and have nothing to do with the body style. 

I believe ford was spied testing a Porsche Taycan quite recently as well. So it adds credibility to the idea that if we get a mustang sedan, there will likely be some electrified version.

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

A bit late in the game for an ICE sedan but maybe Ford is revisiting Charger Hellcat looking at possibilities,

CD6 car cancelled early but maybe the graft of S550 using CD6 modules now puts a sedan within reach?

This is what I'm hoping. I'm gutted that CD6 was cancelled as the potential for mouth watering RWD sedan/coupes (including Lincoln) was there for the taking. Perhaps Ford see a better return on investment if S650 is stretched to include a 4 door sedan/coupe.

Right now though, I'd settle for a spy shot of a proper S650 prototype to give me confidence we're really getting a new Mustang in the next 12/18 months :)

• Like 3

On 8/16/2021 at 11:44 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I believe ford was spied testing a Porsche Taycan quite recently as well. So it adds credibility to the idea that if we get a mustang sedan, there will likely be some electrified version.

I don't see it as Mach E is the 4 dr. Mustang. What I do see is a Lincoln 4 dr. BEV performance vehicle competing against the Taycan/Etron. The Charger is old school muscle car that will be extinct by 2025 if not before. Mustang 5.0 only days are numbered too.