Why Air Lift Suspension Systems?

jeffhunta

I run airlift springs and love them. But with that being said, it’s important to understand what they can/can’t do. They DO NOT increase your tow rating, payload rating, or any other spec on your vehicle. They  DO however increase the ride comfort and vehicle control for heavily loaded vehicles. Lots of info on the web and you tube vids to help you decide. If you don’t tow near your max or upper 75% of your capacity, it may not benefit you. Hope that helps

Edited by Townado
Addl info provided
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, mattdm said:

If you are towing or Carrying a heavier payload they help to stabilize the truck and also make it sit more level and not squat so much.

I have never had an air ride system. Do they work like the old air shocks from back in the 70s 80s where you have to fill them up with an air compressor, or do they have integrated air pumps that fill them from the cockpit, or are they automatic?

Sounds like something that would have come in handy for me many times in the past, the camper and car trailer not so much. When I hook up the 12K equipment trailer and it gets a little too front heavy on the load sometimes it would be nice to put a little extra lift in the back of the truck to level out a little bit.

There are many different configurations, you can get onboard compressors with wireless controllers that maintain the air pressure you set, but they are more expensive.  Or you can just put in the airbags with the valves in a convenient area and use a portable compressor to fill them to the desired pressure.  Etrailer.com has many different configurations and usually has some decent prices.

yes you can have either configuration. The cheapest and simplest way to set it up is to run valves out to the rear bumper, then you can fill them up with an external air source just like a tire.

You can also buy an onboard compressor, controller, and gauges and have it all run from the cab of the truck. You can also add a tank and use the onboard air for other things like filling tires.

9 hours ago, mattdm said:

yes you can have either configuration. The cheapest and simplest way to set it up is to run valves out to the rear bumper, then you can fill them up with an external air source just like a tire.

You can also buy an onboard compressor, controller, and gauges and have it all run from the cab of the truck. You can also add a tank and use the onboard air for other things like filling tires.

Now days you can control it from your phone  or  a wireless remote and don't have to run wires or gauges inside to the dash. I was always cheap and I didn't want to install gauges in may dash so I manually filled all my previous trucks. The last truck truck I had I set up with the Bluetooth pump control and I will never do the manual valve thing again. It is so easy to fill and unload and you can verify it is maintain the proper PSI.

Your spring package can make a big difference in how well the bags work and how the truck drives. My trucks that were 10K GVWR you had to max out the bags at 100PSI for a heavy load and the truck didn't ride that well. I have found that a heavier spring package with less PSI is a much better ride. The last truck that I bagged was a 11,400 GVWR and I only had to run 40 PSI with my 18K toy hauler. It rode really nice and much better with the bags.

Edited by Robin Hood

6 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

Now days you can control it from your phone  or  a wireless remote and don't have to run wires or gauges inside to the dash. I was always cheap and I didn't want to install gauges in may dash so I manually filled all my previous trucks. The last truck truck I had I set up with the Bluetooth pump control and I will never do the manual valve thing again.

yes there are lots of options. I personally prefer the reliability of a hard wired control system rather then a computer module. I had the compressor on an upfitter switch(full on board air capabilities as well) and the gauge and airbag control stealth mounted in the center console of my last truck(its fairly set and forget for me). Looking forward to setting up my new one similar.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 5:52 PM, jeffhunta said:

Can someone help me understand the benefit of an Air Lift Suspension Systems for an F-250?

I’ve ran both air bags and helper springs and will for ever run super springs.  Super springs are a cost effective way to keep the truck level while towing and you don’t have to worry about plastic air hose breaking or air bags leaking.  They don’t leak until you need them.  I’ll never run bags again.  I know some folks do like them but I’ll take metal over plastic and rubber anyday.  I work my trucks hard in extreme weather conditions (-55C up to +47C this year) and my super springs didn’t let me down.  The guys with air bags were riding soft trucks with broken plastic components when it hit -55c.  It was so cold I couldn’t shift into 4x4 so I resorted to locking the hubs but that is normal up here in Northern north land north of far north where the penguins complain about the cold.

• Like 1