'22 Edge Rumored To go AWD Only

10 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

According to the 2022 Edge order guide, AWD is standard and FWD is not available.  The 2022 order guide for Nautilus has FWD standard and AWD optional.

It’s already been reported that Nautilus will be AWD only for the last year of production in 2023.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

I wonder if the edge and nautilus will be EV in the future in N/A. Or just gone.

Those two mid sized vehicles will definitely be covered by Oakville using VW’s MEB architecture 

(maybe that RWD Edge body development won’t go to waste after all if switched to the BEV top hat)

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

• silvrsvt changed the title to '22 Edge Rumored To go AWD Only

Product plans have changed so much recently it’s been hard to follow what programs are still on or which have been shelved or completely changed. The Edge program has been changed, shelved, rethought, reshelved and still TBD in the US. In China, the next gen Edge appears to be moving forward. The only start from scratch “new” products that have internal codes but no official name yet are the new Ford and Lincoln BEVs that have changed plants multiple times which are rumored to be 7 passengers as well. Not sure how they fit with an electrified Explorer and Aviator as well. The next gen Nautilus is being developed as a continuation of the existing Nautilus formula with Gas and Electric variants but built in China and imported here.

• Like 1

I don’t know why they would have to import Nautilus from China. That just pisses me off. Haven’t heard much about what’s comin to OAC other than Corsair EV 2026. I won’t be surprised if Ford changes these plans shuffles around vehicles as they’ve  done with these two mysterious to be made in Mexico BEVs that were slated for Flat Rock then Ohio then MEXICO. 

• Like 1

Hard to believe that Ford may shelve the Edge name and all the brand equity it has built up over the years. Retirees down here love the Edge and Nautilus. Both good sellers with snowbirders who drive 2,000 miles round trip every 6 months. Hope Ford doesn't make the boneheaded move of ending the Edge. A hybrid Edge would be perfect and compete well with the Venza. Even Consumer Report loves the Edge.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Hard to believe that Ford may shelve the Edge name and all the brand equity it has built up over the years. Retirees down here love the Edge and Nautilus. Both good sellers with snowbirders who drive 2,000 miles round trip every 6 months. Hope Ford doesn't make the boneheaded move of ending the Edge. A hybrid Edge would be perfect and compete well with the Venza. Even Consumer Report loves the Edge.

I just remembered PREMIERDRUM in this group said that the names aren’t going anywhere but the format is changing. So maybe he means that they will be moving over to EV platform. Time will tell. If they had made an all new Edge like they were going to obviously it would’ve sold better than it is now instead bye bye to the ICE version by 2024 so we will see what happens. Ya the Edge is constantly getting favourable reviews from consumer reports as awesome as the Bronco is not everyone wants one or an Explorer.

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

If they had committed to C2 HEV/PHEV early on instead of CD6 we’d probably have a new one already.

It seems to me Ford should backtrack and go to HEV, PHEV Edge first before moving to BEV only. Going from ICE to BEV only is too big a move for most, especially because of all the reasons listed many times on here. Ford IMO needs to be cautious as it is now in moving to BEV only. Ford has enough problems just cranking out more Hybrids let alone BEV. And Ford so far only has one hybrid that gets over 40mpg...the Escape minus the MACH E. 

Maybe that's why most BEV's are high dollar, low volume vehicles like Taycan, ETron, Lucid Air, Mach E, Model S and X, and even the Moder 3 and Y that have mostly $50,000+ price tags and limited range nowhere close to a $30,000 Escape hybrid that is close to 600 mile range on 14 gallon tank. 

27 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

It seems to me Ford should backtrack and go to HEV, PHEV Edge first before moving to BEV only. Going from ICE to BEV only is too big a move for most, especially because of all the reasons listed many times on here. Ford IMO needs to be cautious as it is now in moving to BEV only. Ford has enough problems just cranking out more Hybrids let alone BEV. And Ford so far only has one hybrid that gets over 40mpg...the Escape minus the MACH E. 

That makes no sense...the issue is that the auto industry has to plan 5-10 years out. It makes no sense (now) to invest in products that are Gas/hybrid for the next 5-10 years, with all the mandates from various countries pushing BEVS in the next 10-15 years. 

The Edge is going to muddle along for another 4 years or so and be replaced by a new product that is going to reflect these future mandates. 

The Bronco and Bronco Sport are the last Gas only products and will have a Hybrid option in the next 5 years and their successors will BEVs in about 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Maybe that's why most BEV's are high dollar, low volume vehicles like Taycan, ETron, Lucid Air, Mach E, Model S and X, and even the Moder 3 and Y that have mostly $50,000+ price tags and limited range nowhere close to a $30,000 Escape hybrid that is close to 600 mile range on 14 gallon tank. 

Its pretty obvious that Ford isn’t seeing big profits from Edge so it’s not a hard decision to replace that volume with 2 or 3 BEVs that position Ford for future government mandates and can yield a bigger profit margin.

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Its pretty obvious that Ford isn’t seeing big profits from Edge so it’s not a hard decision to replace that volume with 2 or 3 BEVs that position Ford for future government mandates and can yield a bigger profit margin.

Especially when we have 11000 of them sitting in the OAC yard even though we’ve started to process them and are working consistently of late.  I would like to think Ford knows what they’re doing so whatever the Edge gets replaced with here or at another plant let’s hope the product is great. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

That makes no sense...the issue is that the auto industry has to plan 5-10 years out. It makes no sense (now) to invest in products that are Gas/hybrid for the next 5-10 years, with all the mandates from various countries pushing BEVS in the next 10-15 years. 

The Edge is going to muddle along for another 4 years or so and be replaced by a new product that is going to reflect these future mandates. 

The Bronco and Bronco Sport are the last Gas only products and will have a Hybrid option in the next 5 years and their successors will BEVs in about 10 years.

And that absolutely sucks

Edited by akirby
Language

I agree with the notion that throwing the Edge brand equity in the trash seems like a bad idea. It has been a decent seller for most of it's life and no real quality issues that I know of. Even if it goes BEV in a similar form factor I'd think keeping the name would be a better idea than tossing it.

42 minutes ago, Captainp4 said:

It has been a decent seller for most of it's life and no real quality issues that I know of.

If you don’t count the PTUs,

Or the door latch sensor.

Or the shift to park sensor,

Or the purge valve,

Or the engine coolant problem.

Or the bad door latches.

Ot the TSS/OSS sensors.

Actually it isn’t all that bad.  No real problems with our 08 edge or 16 MKX.

• Like 1